Sign in to follow this  
windnsea26

Would you do this?

Sorry for the weird title.  I stumbled upon a brand new 2017 Kamado Joe Classic that someone received and the dome/base were completely damaged/cracked.  I was given all the accessories for it: new top, new handle, side tables, nest, grates, firebox, etc...

All I have to do is buy a new base with a dome.  I called Meghan at KJ and was told it would be in the neighborhood (including shipping) to be about $465.  

I was just happy to get all the free accessories for it and now the idea of having another KJ for under $500 is kind of appealing.

Would you even bother doing that or just be happy with the free accessories?

If you need it, go for it. Its a great deal and the new parts should be under warranty. Less than $500 is a steal. Can the base and dome be replaced under warranty? 

The new dome and bottom would be covered by the KJ warranty. A whole new Classic under warranty for $500 would be an awesome deal. And the new model to boot.

The person who gave you the parts should have applied for a warranty claim --unless the tipped it over.

It actually tipped over so I won't even bother asking for a warranty claim.  It's not just cracked, the dome/base are completely broken.  The right thing for me to do would be to buy the new dome/base.  I don't really "need it" but always wanted another KJ. 

3 minutes ago, windnsea26 said:

It actually tipped over so I won't even bother asking for a warranty claim.  It's not just cracked, the dome/base are completely broken.  The right thing for me to do would be to buy the new dome/base.  I don't really "need it" but always wanted another KJ. 

Hey, hey, watch that "don't need" language! You might set a bad precedent around here. 

After having tried similar type  rebuilds with various other things in the past..... Sure if you are patient and handy.

I would do it if the unit was a real "fire sale" or free.

Otherwise no.

One avenue you might try is to post if any GURUS might have or know of KJ parts that you are looking for.  You can piece meal it together.  -reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song about how he built a Cadillac "One Piece at a Time".

1 hour ago, mike echo said:

One avenue you might try is to post if any GURUS might have or know of KJ parts that you are looking for.  You can piece meal it together.  -reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song about how he built a Cadillac "One Piece at a Time".

As far I can tell from his post all he needs to do is order the dome and base , he as all the other parts and just as to assemble it .

To me it seems like a great deal to me and with a bit of time you have almost a brand KJC2 for 1/2 the cost I'm guessing as I don't know the price in the US

22 minutes ago, Bachman 5 said:

As far I can tell from his post all he needs to do is order the dome and base , he as all the other parts and just as to assemble it .

To me it seems like a great deal to me and with a bit of time you have almost a brand KJC2 for 1/2 the cost I'm guessing as I don't know the price in the US

This is correct.  All I need is the dome and base.  I will post photos tomorrow of what I receive.  I'm actually excited about this.  

So I just picked everything up this morning.  The dome and base was completely broken to pieces.  More than I originally thought.  It did however come with all the  pieces I thought:

New top cover one

Ash tool

New firebox

Divide and conquer system

Black handle and side tables

Air lift hinge (I was able to remove this with the bands)

New gasket - Dunno why but I took this off too

Latch was damaged so I threw that away

Ash box

Rolling stand

Question. Can I use the new ash pan with my older model (2013) or is that only for the newer ones?

On 7/25/2017 at 9:47 PM, windnsea26 said:

This is correct.  All I need is the dome and base.  I will post photos tomorrow of what I receive.  I'm actually excited about this.  

Forgot to take a picture but this is exactly what I would need to complete my 2017 KJ classic:

Dome 

Base

Latch

That's pretty much it.  I have everything else.  I have all the hardware and accessories.