Sign in to follow this  
tsh0ck

I suck without a goal

I get a goal in front of me, and I do pretty well. Without, though, I just suck at routinely getting to the gym, eating right, etc.

I've backslid a bit from where I was 2 years or so ago, but still better than what I was 5 or so years back. Got started running obstacle races, and progressed to Spartan Races. Have done seven or eight of em now, I think. Two years back did a 13-mile beast and a 5-mile sprint on back-to-back days. (Was a good idea when I signed up, not so much on the second of those days). Completed the trifecta a month later (with a tear in my rotator cuff - made that interesting.) Last year, trained and completed my first marathon.

Problem with that was I was sick a couple times in training, likely pushing to hard. The last was in the month ahead of the race, which started at a pretty high altitude. Come race day, I started having trouble breathing at about Mile 8 or so. By the halfway point, the paramedics were checking my O2 levels. I finished the race, though wound up walking most of the final 10 miles, simply because any more than that and I couldn't breathe. Really, really frustrated. I knew I'd be slow anyway, and was fine with that -- but that wasn't how I wanted that to go.

So I let myself pull down into quite a funk since. Rest turned into laziness, which was then hit when I came down with bronchitis and was hacking for a month. So, needing to get off my ###. Just hard to get going once again. But I need a goal. Otherwise, it just doesn't happen.

So, I think I'm gonna go after another marathon. There's one up close here that's relatively easy, with one big hill midway. Otherwise, mostly flat course and a time cutoff of 7.5 hours. It is almost a full calendar year away, so I'll need something else a little more short-term and will look for that. But, with any luck, I'll actually run through a marathon in 2018. (And then can hang up any thoughts of trying that again!)

I'm the same way. I need to sign up for some mudders or 5ks to get me off my ###. Now I blame it on the kids (2&4) and just being exhausted after working and running after them. I just need to train for something. For me it's tough to wake up early to work out and I'm too tired to do it after they go to bed. I have to find some races nearby so I get that extra motivation. 

I find I am the same way. I've ran one marathon and one half marathon but find that I am more regular in my workouts (over a prolonged period of time- I was very diligent about running in preparation for those two races). When I have regularly scheduled shorter races (5k). This keeps me running at least 4 miles 2x per week. I also mix it up with intervals and it's fun to see the effect that has on each race. 

Definitely agree a goal really helps keep me motivated! I've run 3 marathons and find the training to be too much. Love half marathons. Maybe try running a 5K every month and working on speed as a way to keep challenging yourself. Lately (last 9 months) I've been doing a lot of cross training. Good luck!!! Keep us posted your training progress! Best

Running is a no go for me but-my goal is to keep my metabolism in a fat burning mode rather than storage any way I can.

I have a resolve,  more than a goal from my greatest Generation Dad, " don't let the buggers get you down".

On 7/25/2017 at 6:56 PM, tsh0ck said:

I get a goal in front of me, and I do pretty well. Without, though, I just suck at routinely getting to the gym, eating right, etc.

I've backslid a bit from where I was 2 years or so ago, but still better than what I was 5 or so years back. Got started running obstacle races, and progressed to Spartan Races. Have done seven or eight of em now, I think. Two years back did a 13-mile beast and a 5-mile sprint on back-to-back days. (Was a good idea when I signed up, not so much on the second of those days). Completed the trifecta a month later (with a tear in my rotator cuff - made that interesting.) Last year, trained and completed my first marathon.

Problem with that was I was sick a couple times in training, likely pushing to hard. The last was in the month ahead of the race, which started at a pretty high altitude. Come race day, I started having trouble breathing at about Mile 8 or so. By the halfway point, the paramedics were checking my O2 levels. I finished the race, though wound up walking most of the final 10 miles, simply because any more than that and I couldn't breathe. Really, really frustrated. I knew I'd be slow anyway, and was fine with that -- but that wasn't how I wanted that to go.

So I let myself pull down into quite a funk since. Rest turned into laziness, which was then hit when I came down with bronchitis and was hacking for a month. So, needing to get off my ###. Just hard to get going once again. But I need a goal. Otherwise, it just doesn't happen.

So, I think I'm gonna go after another marathon. There's one up close here that's relatively easy, with one big hill midway. Otherwise, mostly flat course and a time cutoff of 7.5 hours. It is almost a full calendar year away, so I'll need something else a little more short-term and will look for that. But, with any luck, I'll actually run through a marathon in 2018. (And then can hang up any thoughts of trying that again!)

You need a goal. I did too. My posts above mention some stuff but I am motivated to be fit for my age-56-and onward. My goal is to not get "caught" in the crack if I need some sort of medical attention. I.e. have my body metrics in order, so when/if the time comes I can be treated quicker and more efficiently instead of becoming the guy who has not seen a physician in years and has no clue as to his overall body health. So we need not waste time toward meaningful treatment.

Not me.  And no offense intended toward any front. Just my opinion. Just a layman. I know not all the medical procedures and protocols- they might water down my opinion but by golly not my fitness goals.

Would be nice to not need a goal, but just never works for me. Have tried and failed a few times. A nebulous "be healthy" thing doesn't do it for me. Need something concrete and measurable. Something to keep reaching for. Need that carrot.

I see. Ideas.  How about some blood pressure, HDL, LDL, weight check once a month or anything else? Those are concrete and measurable.

How about a better heart rate number on a training run? Write down some training goals. Track them. Reward yourself for doing well. Reward yourself for improvement.

1 hour ago, tsh0ck said:

Would be nice to not need a goal, but just never works for me. Have tried and failed a few times. A nebulous "be healthy" thing doesn't do it for me. Need something concrete and measurable. Something to keep reaching for. Need that carrot

I plan on some road races here and there as I go over the next year. There's a 5K coming up next month I might do. Just working baby steps right now - coming off a (probably semi-seriously) torn hip flexor or a neighbor. Jumped off the wall from a bit too high or landed wrong or something a while back at the rock climbing gym. Set me back even further. But I've found the motivation to get myself in the gym, and have been there three of four days this week. Wednesday was just too busy to make it work so made it an off day to rest up.

So far have run 8 miles this week, so that's a positive. And I cut off several minutes from my previous 5K time today.