John Setzler

Beef Chuck Short Ribs Recipe and Video

Here's a recipe for some big bold beef chuck rubs with a big bold homemade rub to bring it to life!  

2 to 4 Beef Chuck Short ribs, separated or on a full rack

Rub:

3 tablespoons sea salt or kosher salt
3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground coffee
1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Worcestershire sauce to coat ribs

Preheat your Kamado Joe to 250°F and setup for indirect cooking.  Add a couple smoke wood chunks of your choice and cook these until they are probe tender (approximately 200°F internal meat temperature.)

28 minutes ago, aljoseph said:

Nicely done again as usual John. Beef short ribs, both bone in and boneless, are high on my list of tasty beef offerings.

Absolutely... I have been unable to buy these locally until this new Publix opened in my area.  Walmart carries these really anemic looking beef back ribs that have practically no meat on them.  

5 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Great vid John. Actually after these cook for a litle bit longer, they get genuinely fork tender. And, they are the one rib that I absolutely love fall off the bone. Good luck on finding a full rack.

As I write this, I have about 3 lbs beef short ribs (boneless) perking away in the water at 131F. They will be ready for a sear Sunday evening after a 72 hour bath. Love beef short ribs. They will be fork tender and medium rare.

10 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Absolutely... I have been unable to buy these locally until this new Publix opened in my area.  Walmart carries these really anemic looking beef back ribs that have practically no meat on them.  

I usually get mine at Costco. The boneless offerings there are nice and meaty.

11 hours ago, aljoseph said:

As I write this, I have about 3 lbs beef short ribs (boneless) perking away in the water at 131F. They will be ready for a sear Sunday evening after a 72 hour bath. Love beef short ribs. They will be fork tender and medium rare.

I usually get mine at Costco. The boneless offerings there are nice and meaty.

What does Costco call them, what does it say on the label?

I would love to get them there, boned or bone in..

While I don't have a package with label handy, I am certain Costco calls them "beef short ribs". I usually get the boneless ones as they are pure meat. The packages are 4 to 6 ribs per package.

1 hour ago, Chasdev said:

I'm going to see if mine has them. As much as I love to eat them, I hate paying $5.50 for bone weight..

But that bone works wonders. It's also visually impressive! My 4th of July cook (reference my profile pic) illicited multiple ooos and aaahs... And we do, for the most part, eat with our eyes :-D

Great Video John.  I wish I had seen your video before I did mine, I would have tried your rub.  Next time I still have two big bones left.

Any meat dept that sells short ribs should have the full plate back in the cooler.  Short ribs are just a cross cut off the plate.  When I asked the butcher he went into the cooler and showed me how they come to their store, two plates to a pack.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:39 AM, Chasdev said:

What does Costco call them, what does it say on the label?

I would love to get them there, boned or bone in..

On 7/28/2017 at 8:41 AM, aljoseph said:

While I don't have a package with label handy, I am certain Costco calls them "beef short ribs". I usually get the boneless ones as they are pure meat. The packages are 4 to 6 ribs per package.

I just picked up a package at Costoc. They call them "beef chuck short ribs boneless".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By elbatiger
      Ok folks I'm up against the wall. Tomorrow is our family reunion I had planned to cook - smoke two tri-tips, my butcher let me down... so I guess it will be pork again this year and be up half the night. Anyone have suggestions for beef that is comparable to tri-tip in tast, tenderness and time? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ronny

• By PatrickYYC
      Hi all,

I will be firing up my big joe for the first time tomorrow for some baby back ribs.

I have done ribs before on my Bradley smoker & weber gaser using the 3-2-0.5 (3 hours on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped on the Weber and 0.5 hours with sauce). I do the last two steps on the weber just because the ribs are more accessible for wrapping and sauce. Family usually loves these.

Ribs on the Joe:

I am planning on dry rub, no sugar ~5 hours @ 225-250 with no wrap, occasional spritzing and add sauce for last 30 minutes or so.

Questions:
      1- Is a drop pan necessary? Dry or with liquid in it? Based on my reading so far, I think not necessary other than to keep the heat deflector clean... opinions?
      2- To wrap or not to wrap? It seems both are acceptable. preferences? impact?
      3- how do I know they are done? by temp? bones? probe?

Any other suggestions?

I'll post during and after pics tomorrow.

Thanks

• By Marbque
      Spent some time yesterday with just the wife and I making some beef ribs on out stickburner, first time in forever that we have not had to cook for an event, so it was nice to just be able to have some hot dogs for appetizer while waiting on these beef ribs. Hope everyone’s Sunday is enjoyable and relaxing enjoy

572E25BB-1878-40D9-8700-82BD2C854DE1.MOV

• By Ryno656
      So I smoked some ribs yesterday (pics to follow) and I had a couple questions, which I'll list below. It was just two of us, so I went with just one rack of pre-cut St Louis Style ribs. I was hoping to grab a full set of spares from the store, but they only had a ton of St Louis pre-trimmed sets. I used Oakridge BBQ's Dominator Sweet Rib Rub and glazed with Texas Pepper Jelly Craig's BBQ Sauce for the final 30 mins or so. Overall, they turned out pretty good but I'm hoping the forum here can help answer some questions (I may have an idea of what the answer is, but thought the experts here will have more knowledge than I). At any rate, questions below, and pics after that. I can't wait to smoke a pork butt in the next few weeks. Thanks and Enjoy!

Kamado Joe, indirect of course. Heat deflector in lower position, ribs on top rack
      Aimed for 250 but the BJ held at 270 basically the whole cook
      Apple wood
      Spritzed with Apple Juice/Apple Cider Vinegar mix at the 2 hr mark every 20-ish minutes for an hour
      Glazed 30 mins prior to pulling
      Cooked about 5-5.5 hrs total

1 -- The ribs were fall off the bone tender, which is how we like them, however the bottom of the ribs were crusty/crispy. The rub has sugar in it, but I didn't think sugar would burn at that low temp. Any suggestions on what may have caused this? I did some research and couldn't find much. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of this.
      2 -- I haven't calibrated my dome thermometer. I did notice when I reverse-seared a steak last week that it overcooked before sear, so I'm thinking this may be the issue.
      3 -- Pretty sure the ribs I got were a much smaller set than I anticipated. They weren't quite as tender as I was hoping for, but still came off the bone clean. Could the size be a reason why they were 'overcooked' a bit and the bottom crisped up?

Photos:

Seasoned, letting the BJ get to temp:

2-hour mark:

3-hour 15min mark:

4-hour mark:

Final Product (5.5 hours):

Cut: