• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
John Setzler

Beef Chuck Short Ribs Recipe and Video

Here's a recipe for some big bold beef chuck rubs with a big bold homemade rub to bring it to life!  

2 to 4 Beef Chuck Short ribs, separated or on a full rack

Rub:

3 tablespoons sea salt or kosher salt
3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground coffee
1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Worcestershire sauce to coat ribs

Preheat your Kamado Joe to 250°F and setup for indirect cooking.  Add a couple smoke wood chunks of your choice and cook these until they are probe tender (approximately 200°F internal meat temperature.)

28 minutes ago, aljoseph said:

Nicely done again as usual John. Beef short ribs, both bone in and boneless, are high on my list of tasty beef offerings.

Absolutely... I have been unable to buy these locally until this new Publix opened in my area.  Walmart carries these really anemic looking beef back ribs that have practically no meat on them.  

5 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Great vid John. Actually after these cook for a litle bit longer, they get genuinely fork tender. And, they are the one rib that I absolutely love fall off the bone. Good luck on finding a full rack.

As I write this, I have about 3 lbs beef short ribs (boneless) perking away in the water at 131F. They will be ready for a sear Sunday evening after a 72 hour bath. Love beef short ribs. They will be fork tender and medium rare.

10 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Absolutely... I have been unable to buy these locally until this new Publix opened in my area.  Walmart carries these really anemic looking beef back ribs that have practically no meat on them.  

I usually get mine at Costco. The boneless offerings there are nice and meaty.

11 hours ago, aljoseph said:

As I write this, I have about 3 lbs beef short ribs (boneless) perking away in the water at 131F. They will be ready for a sear Sunday evening after a 72 hour bath. Love beef short ribs. They will be fork tender and medium rare.

I usually get mine at Costco. The boneless offerings there are nice and meaty.

What does Costco call them, what does it say on the label?

I would love to get them there, boned or bone in..

While I don't have a package with label handy, I am certain Costco calls them "beef short ribs". I usually get the boneless ones as they are pure meat. The packages are 4 to 6 ribs per package.

1 hour ago, Chasdev said:

I'm going to see if mine has them. As much as I love to eat them, I hate paying $5.50 for bone weight..

But that bone works wonders. It's also visually impressive! My 4th of July cook (reference my profile pic) illicited multiple ooos and aaahs... And we do, for the most part, eat with our eyes :-D

Great Video John.  I wish I had seen your video before I did mine, I would have tried your rub.  Next time I still have two big bones left.

Any meat dept that sells short ribs should have the full plate back in the cooler.  Short ribs are just a cross cut off the plate.  When I asked the butcher he went into the cooler and showed me how they come to their store, two plates to a pack.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:39 AM, Chasdev said:

What does Costco call them, what does it say on the label?

I would love to get them there, boned or bone in..

On 7/28/2017 at 8:41 AM, aljoseph said:

While I don't have a package with label handy, I am certain Costco calls them "beef short ribs". I usually get the boneless ones as they are pure meat. The packages are 4 to 6 ribs per package.

I just picked up a package at Costoc. They call them "beef chuck short ribs boneless".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By CentralTexBBQ
      So, what is it about men that makes them reluctant to RSVP? Cooking for my brothers and nephews this Saturday to make up for all the birthdays I missed, so I picked supplies today. 10 pounds of beef plate ribs and 10  pounds of Spares that I am cutting into St. Louis'. 

• By daninpd
      My wife had a hankering for some ribs this weekend, so I picked up some baby backs.  Saturday rubbed them with brown sugar and sprinkled them with Dizzy Pig "Game On", wrapped with plastic and overnight in the fridge.  Started them on the Akorn at 225 with some pecan wood smoke, doing a 2-2-1 since I'm doing back ribs.  After 2 hours I wrapped them in heavy duty foil and back on at 225 to steam for 2 hours.  While all this was going on I made a glaze with a can of Kern's Peach Nectar, a couple of shakes of Cajun Chupacabra, about 1-1/2 t Szechuan peppercorns and 1 t turmeric, letting it simmer super low while the ribs were cooking.  Toasted 1 T sesame seeds to just starting to take on color and added them to the glaze.  The reason I cooked the glaze so slow, was trying to extract as much flavor out of the  Szechuan peppercorns as possible.  Last 15 minutes of cooking in the wrap started letting temps climb to 300.  Unwrapped and put back on at 300 to go for the last 1 hour.  The last 1/2 hour started brushing on the glaze every 10 minutes.   I have cooked a lot of ribs over the years;  this may be my best try.  Fall-off the bone tender, different layers of spice and really tasty.

• By CheeseMcGee
      Hopefully life will start settling back down soon so I can get back on here and start cooking more often!  I decided I needed to at least get back into the swing of the monthly competitions just to get the muscles flexed again.  As this month's challenge is Salad for Dinner, so I had to give it a crack.

With me working in Atlanta, I've fallen in love with Korean and Asian food in general.  One of my favorite new flavors is Bulgogi!  If you've never had anything marinated or glazed with a Bulgogi marinade or sauce, you don't know what you are missing.  For those that don't know, Bulgogi is a sweet and tangy sauce mainly flavored with pear juice.  It works with any meat, but I favor it with any cut of beef you can find.  I'm believe it would even make shoe leather quite palatable!

Sadly, in my rush to get this done by tonight's deadline, I didn't take many photos of the process, not that there are a lot of steps to this one. 

First, I marinated the steak overnight with a bottled bulgogi marinade, and threw in a little fresh garlic and ginger to punch up the flavor a bit more.  All I had in the fridge was a london broil, so that got the overnight bulgogi bath.

Next it went on to a ripping hot grill to get some of that great grill flavor.  After a few minutes on each side, she was ready to take off the grill.

While that was grilling, we cut up the lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers and made up some homemade Asian ginger dressing.  During that time, I also reduced the bulgogi marinade into a nice thick glaze by adding a bit of honey and cooking it down.  Doesn't it look amazing?!? 

In the rush to get this into my pie hole, I forgot to get pics of the sliced meat, oh well.  Anyways, here is the final product!  

Again, I highly suggest if you've not yet tried bulgogi, give it a shot.  It's great as a dip with asian foods as well.

• By bbqboss84601
      This was 12 hour prime rib Sous Vide seasoned with prime rib rub from traeger with added garlic and added rosemary.  Seared on the KJ Junior at nuclear, these are the results. Thanks 

• By DerHusker
      Most of you who’ve been around a few years know this is the time of year that I go Full Griswald so I haven’t got a lot of cooking in recently. Well I was finally able to get in a cook this weekend. Every year I host our family Christmas get together. My 2 brothers that live out here in California, come down from the L.A. area with my niece and nephew. We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Turkey, then a nice Honey Baked Ham. Well last year we decided to try a Ribeye Roast and it was a big hit so we did it again this year.
      My preparations started the night before when I made up some Horseradish Sauce. (This pic is from last year but it’s the same as what I did this year)

Horseradish Sauce Recipe: (Tweaked from Chef John on Food Wishes)

1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

pinch of cayenne

2 teaspoon thinly sliced chives. (I like to use Dill)                                                  
      2 tablespoons extra hot (Atomic) pure horseradish (not horseradish sauce)

I had this nice boneless Ribeye Roast in my freezer that I started thawing last Tuesday.

Early Sunday I made up a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it.

Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)

1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
      3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
      2 Tbsp salt
      1 Tbsp black pepper
      OO

I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.

I applied the rub (paste)

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

Around noon I set up my kamado for direct / indirect cooking. I let it come up to 250 degrees before I put on the roast.

While it was cooking we set the table from our guests.

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 1 minute per side.

Here are some pics of me slicing it.

On the table on the Christmas platter.

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “Pataskala Red X IPA” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

Even though this was cooked to mostly medium it was still delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.

Thanks for looking.