K'man

Akorn Jr. Pizza

I've tried a number of different set-ups for cooking pizza on the Jr.  None of them have been disappointing but last night I think was my best and will now become my go to method.

This set-up involves a cast iron frypan, the Akorn smokin stone and a canning rack.  It duplicates a two stone method with an air space between.  It also raises the pizza further into the dome.  I chose 10" because it works with the smokin stone and does not impede airflow.  I use  steel pizza pans

This is a very basic dough recipe making a single batch for 2 - 10" personal pan pizzas.    I also substitute some of the A/P flour for whole wheat when making a whole wheat pizza.

I cooked 4 consecutive pizzas last night with temps ranging in the 500-550˚F, 3 are shown here.  Timing was 8 minutes give or take,

fullsizeoutput_38a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_38f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_390.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_391.jpeg

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

13 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Looks like you have a good setup figured out. 

Thanks, I think so.  It saves me having to use my cooking grate and gives a little more height.  

19 minutes ago, K'man said:

Thanks, I think so.  It saves me having to use my cooking grate and gives a little more height.  

When I had a big Akorn I had a pizza setup that didn't involve the CI grate. Reseasoning that after every pizza cook quickly became old news. 

7 hours ago, ckreef said:

When I had a big Akorn I had a pizza setup that didn't involve the CI grate. Reseasoning that after every pizza cook quickly became old news. 

That's the only reason I haven't tried pizza on my akorn yet, I need to find a grate to fit in place of the factory cast iron grate. I bought that pizza ring that Dez fabricated and have talked to a local Italian restaurant that has some of the best pizza I've ever ate and they told me they would sell me some dough. So all I need now is to find a large enough grate to sit where the factory grate does.

3 hours ago, JDEaston said:

That's the only reason I haven't tried pizza on my akorn yet, I need to find a grate to fit in place of the factory cast iron grate. I bought that pizza ring that Dez fabricated and have talked to a local Italian restaurant that has some of the best pizza I've ever ate and they told me they would sell me some dough. So all I need now is to find a large enough grate to sit where the factory grate does.

Sometimes accessories from other grills will suit a specific purpose. You really don't need a cooking grate as much as you need to support your pizza set-up.  Here's a rack that you could invert and would likely work on the Akorn. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjA-5aPjrLVAhVI34MKHdj_DsIQtwIIRTAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaRbxcM6P6es&usg=AFQjCNHh0AbPd17vdJeeGTNny2fPf5Gnww  You will see the pizza set-up at the end.  It may work for you or not.

I have one and used it on my Keg for pizza.  Not sure but the kit is in $40-50.00 range and it's a good heavy drip pan.  Mine about 5 years old now.  No rust, good porcelain.

Edited by K'man

Here's my Akorn Jr pizza setup - also inspired by one of the original Akorn Jr Masters, @Smoke and Awe - that canning rack is a brilliant accessory for the Jr!   I use the canning rack with the wings folded in to set my stones on.  One stone goes on and then some ceramic spacers and then another stone. I really didn't want to have to deal with reseasoning any cast iron... laziness breeds creativity at times. Lol.

IMG_3555.thumb.JPG.08684c29696b3ed04c6c3c8d38e52889.JPG

IMG_3558.thumb.JPG.9676f12aa89321de107ec48035edec3a.JPG