Louisiana grill

Kamado joe jr first timer

Interested in buying the kamado joe jr. Any feed back will be great!

What accessories come with it?

Is it okay to buy from amazon or should I just order through ace?

What accessories are a must have? 

What type of charcoal? 

I'm used to cooking on a weber kettle. Is it a similar cooking style?

Interested in learning smoking briskets and butts low and slow! 

Tips and tricks? 

I just bought my first fixer up house about a year ago so money is tight. So the junior is in my price range for right now! 

Joe Jr.'s are awesome you will really like it. As far as accessories you get ash tool, grate tool, and ceramic plate for indirect cooking. Only thing you might want to buy is digital thermometer  and kick ash basket. As far as fuel any lump charcoal will do I like rockwood and royal oak and Kj lump  for the Jr. medium to smaller pieces work best for me with the Jr. I bought a cast iron grate from bge to use with my Jr now it's sitting in drawer. If Kj made a soapstone I would recommend that but they don't so just use a cast iron skillet or griddle for smash burgers. The learning curve is pretty simple small adjustment because the Jr can heat up quick. Brisket might be a stretch on the Jr but I have seen 3 racks of ribs rolled up being cooked on it. You have to get creative but it's an awesome grill. I have done pork butts on it and they have come out great. I mostly use mine for chicken and fast and hot cooking. I also have a classic, once you save up some more money you will want a bigger one I recommend the big joe. I have the classic and I wish I made more room. I hope this helps a little bit. 

I bought my Jr. At a Costco road show in early spring.  I also have a Vision pro s.  We are using the Jr. 5 nights out of 7.  This grill is so easy to use, heats up much faster than the Vision so you aren't waiting an hour to cook.  There are only two of us but I cooked burgers for 4 on Sunday with no problem.  The burgers were 1/3 lb.  you will love it!

My advise, if this is your primary kamado and you think you'll be fine with the Jr., get the classic. No one ever wanted a smaller grill after buying a large one. I bought a classic and wish I got a big Joe. 

On 8/2/2017 at 7:04 AM, DelcoSol said:

My advise, if this is your primary kamado and you think you'll be fine with the Jr., get the classic. No one ever wanted a smaller grill after buying a large one. I bought a classic and wish I got a big Joe. 

Excellent advice.

Don't get me wrong....I really enjoy my Jr. for all sorts of cooks....but the capacity is small....a medium sized butt is about the most I've been able to cook....and the run time on the firebox isn't long enough for much more than that.  I'm not sure how it'd be on a brisket.

In short....I wish my Jr was a Classic.

The real estate under dome on my BigJoe has been very much enjoyed.  

I have a Classic and a Jr. Love them both. 

People love tailgating with my grill.

I have a Kick Ash Basket in there so shutting down the party is as easy as pulling the grate out and dumping the coals in my steel Ash bucket and pouring some water over it. Grill cools down quick so it can be loaded up so we can go in the game. 

Wish KJ still made the black units though. 

I may be the odd-ball, but despite its limitations, I could easily live with just a junior. 

Normally I just cook for 2 people.  I have a classic and a junior and haven't fired up the classic since the first week of May.

Sometimes a little creativity is required, but I can really get it to do anything I need. 

I have baked, roasted, grilled, braised, and bbqed on it, 

I own the #trifecta and use the big joe the most for just about everything for a family of two adults and two small kids. The junior is great as my searing station, the classic is great for sides, and the big joe does it all. If I could choose just one, big joe. I have griddle, cast iron grates, grill expander for classic and big joe. Still use big joe the absolute most. Just my 2 cents.