• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Sign in to follow this  
philpom

Sourdough pizza perfection - pesto base

The first time I made pizza dough from sourdough I knew it was special. The crispy chewy texture of the sourdough works perfectly well for pizza crust and gives the pizza that something special.

It had been awhile since I made pizza so last night we whipped up two of them. One standard pepperoni with olives for the kiddos and a pesto based Pizza with fresh tomatoes olives spinach mushrooms a little mozzarella and topped it with parmesan and red pepper flakes.

IMG_20170730_202635150.thumb.jpg.e2ee21ad8e06e13614cab0bcb476d9c4.jpgIMG_20170730_212255287.thumb.jpg.648cd3722ef5b73948972fbf17c17570.jpgIMG_20170730_220220874.thumb.jpg.03004a1066e57ffcfcf3b197601f60f7.jpgIMG_20170730_220643397.thumb.jpg.e205b9a7d0cab441536054069923b411.jpg

these were large pizzas with a pretty heavy topping load and relatively thick crust 16 inches in diameter. I cooked them at about 425° f and they took maybe 7 or 8 minutes each. I made the sourdough in the bread machine and let the dough more than double for about 3 hours then I rolled them both out and gave them another hour to rise again.

7 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

Nice

2 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Looks great. 

Thanks y'all, I have certainly decided that doing a sourdough crust is by far my favorite way and if I plan ahead is always the way I do it now.  It's really the texture that works so well in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, skreef said:

Looks good @philpom... We are going to have pizza tonight. 

Enjoy your pizza!  I'm cooking at a fund raiser for our pool club, gotta bring in more families to help pay for those pools!  Needless to say but I am cooking for ~100 people so it'll be hot dogs for me tonight :) - Should be fun, we are going to put a movie up on the big screen for folks to watch while they experience our facility and eat a free meal.

6 hours ago, philpom said:

Thanks Rob, you should give sourdough a shot.  Maybe you'll convert?

I think I will try.     So far I like the  Chicago style dough but I may end up converting to sourdough.  Tomorrow I will be getting some pineapple juice and use my unbleached whole wheat flour to start the process for making the mother starter by making the seed culture first.   Helpfully by next weekend I will be ready to try or I might wait until following week so that the starter has optimal flavour.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:46 PM, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

Good news, my sourdough starter is now officially ready.     I will be using it today to make the dough for pizza tomorrow.    

Don't forget to post back, I'm curious what you think.