Went salmon fishing in Lake Michigan off the coast of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Decided to make a video.

Dry Brine:
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp black pepper
a bunch of fresh dill

Directions:
1) Dry brine salmon overnight using Dry Brine ingredients.
2) The next day, rinse off salmon and pat dry.
3) Air dry for 2-3 hours or more to form a pellicle on surface.
4) Smoke between 150-180 degrees until done (~2 hours) using a lighter wood such as alder or cherry wood.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BobE
      My son and I went fishing yesterday and came home with some thick pieces of King Mackerel fillets.  Mackerel is an oily fish that’s perfect for smoking.  We binned the fillets for 6+ hours before firing up our Kamado Joe.  The target temperature was 180-200F (measured it at the grill) and because I'm pretty new to using the ‘Joe, I managed to overshoot our target… by a lot.  It took an hour to get the temperature to come down from 250 to 210F.  That's when we opened it up, added three smallish chunks of apple wood, installed the indirect heat stones, and closed the top.  While waiting for the temperature to recover we took the fish out of the fridge, and dried them with paper towels.  The temp was 170F when we put the fish, skin side down, on the grill. The KJ stabilized at ~180 and after 2.5 hours, the fish reached the desired internal temperature of 140F. 

The Mackerel was excellent, moist and mildly smoky.  As expected the skin wasn’t crispy at all so we easily scraped it off before eating.  The next day the leftovers where turned into a dip that we ate with cut up veggies.  It was even better than the first meal. 

Full disclosure, we used blue bag Kingsford charcoal for heat.  It did a good job of holding the low temperature we were looking for. 

• By alliecat61
      I am not a fish eater, but would like to acquire a taste for it using my kamado.  Do you guys have any suggestions for this endeavor?  Cookbooks, receipes, videos, personal experience, etc.
    • By Charcoal Addict
      What's your feeling on using a rotisserie to cook fish like Salmon, Halibut, Tuna, etc...

I haven't seen any benefit to using rotisserie fish to cook fish with the exception of skinless cuts from Costco.  The rotisserie helps to provide an even cook without burning the bottom of the fish.  Generally speaking, the fish is never on the grill long enough to benefit from self basting.  There's doesn't appear to be any real benefit to using a rotisserie to cook most fish.

What do you guys think?  Are there scenarios where using a rotisserie to cook the fish would be beneficial?  
    • By John Setzler
      I seared this swordfish steak and then topped it with a reduction of balsamic vinegar, orange juice, and a little Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey... check it out!

• By John Setzler
      Got fish?  If you have a whole one give this a try!