Those of us who cook for few in number may not want to pay for a huge brisket, let alone cook one, so that means we need to know how to cook a brisket flat when they can be found.  I did just that when I found a 2+ pounder this week.  Of course it has to be brined or marinated, and I did the Montreal Steak marinade packet for 24 hours in the fridge.  Used pecan smoke, cooked at 300 degrees to 205 degrees temp, and then rested.  As usual, I cooked in a vessel to catch the juices and fat.  It is very tender, pulls beautifully, and just the right size for dinner tonight!  Pretty yummy.

WP_20170801_001.jpg

WP_20170801_002.jpg

WP_20170801_004.jpg

I've only done one and it was so chewed I threw it out.  Always been afraid to cook another one.  Maybe this is the impetus to try another.

There were some small briskets on the store last week and I avoided them because of hearing they are hard to cook right.  I may have to go for it now.

The trick to tender brisket is how long it cooks.

Remember, you can take it out of the cooker when it hits 196/203 and put it in a holding oven at 160 for 14 more hours and it just gets more and more tender, that's what Franklin does.

You an also line a cooler with newspaper and towels (both under and over a foiled brisket), and it will stay near cook temp for a LONG time.

Tinkering with cooking meat for that amount of time is a bit of a chore but the rewards are worth it.

7 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

The trick to tender brisket is how long it cooks.

Remember, you can take it out of the cooker when it hits 196/203 and put it in a holding oven at 160 for 14 more hours and it just gets more and more tender, that's what Franklin does.

You an also line a cooler with newspaper and towels (both under and over a foiled brisket), and it will stay near cook temp for a LONG time.

Tinkering with cooking meat for that amount of time is a bit of a chore but the rewards are worth it.

I read Franklin's book and loved it.  Does he really hold it in an oven like that?  I tried wrapping in butcher paper like he does, but I struggled knowing when it was finished.  But I guess if I did that, I would not have the issue I had with tenderness!  

Yup that's one of the things he left out of the book..which I agree is outstanding as a starting point for stick burner newbies..

He has to BTW, otherwise he would run out of meat even faster than he does now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HokieOC
      Saturday pizza has become a regular thing at our house, per my son’s request. I had a good thing going with the KJ Classic and a 15” stone setup, down to a science. But a few weeks ago decided to change it up and try pizzas on the Akorn Jr, half to use less charcoal on the high temp and half cause I had a steel I’d never used. And half just for the challenge....okay that’s three halves. But I digress....first couple weeks went okay, a little learning curve with the AkJ getting to temp MUCH faster and the possibility of overshooting temp, coupled with the steel getting and retaining heat much easier than the stone. 

Last weekend I burnt the crap out of the bottom of three of four pies (finally got it to cool down a bit by the last one...should have given more time after I charred the first). Having to wait a week for redemption is killing me, but I ordered the canning rack I’ve seen many use on here for the Junior setup, so fingers crossed tonight goes better. And I’ll definitely be watching my temps and shooting the steel with an IR thermometer. I’m hoping more separation of the steel and deflector in addition to getting the stew up higher in the dome makes the difference. 
    • By LJS
      Hello Kamado Peeps
      So, I tried yet another brisket, this time I selected a good quality meat (Angus) and I only took the flat part.
      Overall, I was very happy, a little heavy handed with the pepper in my rub, that’s whats happens when you measure by eye, although the next day eaten with other treats it is pretty darn good. Pleased with the smoke ring and the bark, I used pecan and cherry wood.  Also I think I need more work on my trimming the fat. 
      I think I should have left her on for longer because the edges, being the thinner parts were more tender than the thicker parts. But again the next day the tenderness was well within an acceptable range, this may also be due to me only leaving her to rest for about 40min. I get so hungry during these cooks and cant wait to taste.
      ·         Cook time 6.5 hours 40min in foil with beef broth.
      ·         Dry rub 40/40 salt and pepper and 20 celery seed.
      ·         I did use mustard as a based coat.
      I inserted my thermometer after about 3 hours and at first the reading was too high and then this got me thinking that the probe was pushed threw hot external and that’s why the misleading reading. And took ages to drop.
      What is suggested in terms of inserting the thermometer, from start and / or through foil? Comments suggestions appreciated.
      Keep smoking…

• By Smoke and Awe
      My goal was to get this done last Friday, but life intervened.  However, today is a beautiful Northwest day at the beach, and I could do this with the ingredients I had on hand.  The recipe is for Brazilian Salmon Stew (Moqueca), and I used wild caught Coho Salmon portions, in a braise of chopped garlic, green pepper, onions, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and the surprise ingredient, coconut milk.  The salmon portions were skinless, then marinated in a mixture of lime juice, cumin, sweet paprika, s & p.  I've never skinned salmon before, and it's a good thing I didn't have company as there wasn't enough salmon left for more than 2...

The recipe called for layering the ingredients, but for just us I halved it, so ended up with only one layer, but no problem.  Used my trusty thrift store stoneware pan, no extra smoke.  Had to finish the meal with some garlic parmesan rolls from the freezer.  Like I said, easy and Nummy, as my husband said, but so simple in the kamado.  I used the dome as my casserole lid, so the salmon got a little color on it.  

• By Smoke and Awe
      I was happy to be home all day and get to make my own birthday dinner, inspired by @ckreef's zucchini gratin, and @keeperovdeflame's mayo corn.  The pork sirloin chops were marinated in buttermilk, then rinsed and patted dry before applying a garlic and herb rub for a couple of hours.  Sirloin doesn't take long to cook, so I did the gratin first, then the chops with the corn mixture on top.  This is what it's all about. Lovely.

• By K'man
      I was on Amazon today and found this.  I don't recall ever seeing these settings posted in either manual I have for my two Jr's.  Thought I'd post as a general guide.  I've never operated my Jr's with the top vent totally closed before, almost but not completely as shown.
      FYI