• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

Well been waiting for sometime for this with anticipation ,  it was a Kickstarer campaign and not sure at first but it has finally arrived  , Eric delivered close to his estimated times and can't ask anything more.

Got it in the mail this morning , and after opening the box I can say that this looks like a high quality product and their attention to details seems to confirm this , they have certainly taken then the time to put all the final touches on it to bring it to market .

Just a pic of it it all unboxed 

598414613058d_20170803_2224281.thumb.jpg.003920adc4a99448ba1cb4bd872b20cc.jpg

unfortunately this arrived at a bad time as I'm taking a extra long weekend and won't get to try it until next week but will give a update when I can put it though it's pace's , and can't wait to try this out.

Can't wait to hear how it deals with "gumming up" after dozen smokey cooks.

The manual exhaust vent on my Kamado gums up pretty bad and has to be serviced/cleaned or it will lock up.

9 hours ago, Chasdev said:

Can't wait to hear how it deals with "gumming up" after dozen smokey cooks.

The manual exhaust vent on my Kamado gums up pretty bad and has to be serviced/cleaned or it will lock up.

While this is the first "real" batch of controllers going out, dozens of people have been running these things for years.  Me personally for 7 years!

The issue of the damper getting dirty is extremely easy to deal with. Check out this video of a stuck damper after a year or so of heavy use.  You just lift up lightly on the daisy wheel and it "clicks" free.

Video Demonstration

Thanks for the interest!

On 8/4/2017 at 2:43 AM, Bachman 5 said:

Well been waiting for sometime for this with anticipation ,  it was a Kickstarer campaign and not sure at first but it has finally arrived  , Eric delivered close to his estimated times and can't ask anything more.

Got it in the mail this morning , and after opening the box I can say that this looks like a high quality product and their attention to details seems to confirm this , they have certainly taken then the time to put all the final touches on it to bring it to market .

Just a pic of it it all unboxed 

598414613058d_20170803_2224281.thumb.jpg.003920adc4a99448ba1cb4bd872b20cc.jpg

unfortunately this arrived at a bad time as I'm taking a extra long weekend and won't get to try it until next week but will give a update when I can put it though it's pace's , and can't wait to try this out.

cool stuff, let's see this bad boi in action

24 minutes ago, Freddyj said:

seriously?

well, yeah

From what I've seen of the new vents vs the old ones, the actual caps seem to mount to the dome in the same way but I've not had both side by side to be sure

Its a genuine question

15 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

well, yeah

From what I've seen of the new vents vs the old ones, the actual caps seem to mount to the dome in the same way but I've not had both side by side to be sure

Its a genuine question

Good question. The top half of the vent still pivots out of the way so it looks like it might mount on the same way.

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 4.08.20 PM.png

On 8/7/2017 at 9:01 PM, Freddyj said:

cool stuff, let's see this bad boi in action

OK finally got to test this unit last night even though I got home late , I didn't cook anything just burnt up some lump.

There has been a lot of discussion on here about pit temp vs. grate temp and where to place the grate probes and what not , and since I will what to use this device with the Joetessrie I decided to make a bracket for the alligator clip to sit along side of the thermometer probe , and this is where I will use it for all my cooks without needing to worry about placement on the grates which sometimes can be hard to find a good spot depending on the amount of food being cooked.

I simply made it out of a thin piece of aluminum took of the thermometer bolt slid it on and tightened back up.

20170809_201548.thumb.jpg.9033dc48360f2305f8d7a9582675678a.jpg

So now on to how the Smobot preformed , well I can say that it did exactly what it says and held at my target temp of 225 only varying + - 2 degrees , it wasn't a long cook as you can see in the graph below but I have no doubt that it will maintain a stable temp for a long period of time.

tempgraph.thumb.png.d96e60dd74b5fdcd77ee8c205263c268.png

The Smobot grill temp and dome thermometer were fairly consistent with each other as you can see below

20170809_223247.thumb.jpg.43130be5b06d2ffbfff91b9cd40fc804.jpg

I like the unit but there a couple of things that I do not like also , firstly is the long cord that runs from the servo to controller is about 6' long and attached to the servo so it's  always going to be hanging there being in the way or always wrapping it up to keep out the way . I wish they would have had a jack a couple of inches out from the servo and just used a extension to plug in from there , and this is what I think I will be doing cutting it and adding a jack then use a extension cable.

20170809_223146.thumb.jpg.97c279918f4491dfde902dc407103b97.jpg

The second thing which is minor is the bushing holding the damper down it is not much larger than the hole and took a few tries to tighten it down without part of it slipping it the hole when tightening down. Minor I know but I can't see why it couldn't be slightly larger a 1/16" - 1/8" or so .

20170809_223126.thumb.jpg.2b4df075596420f9aa50968fe7e98126.jpg

So all in all even with my personal dislikes I really like this unit it held temp like a champ and comes with 2 meat probes which means my Smoke and Maverick thermometers will probably end up collecting dust in the drawer. It will also give more free time to prep not having to deal with the vent settings during start up. I like the purchase but as always only time will tell if it is worth it.

Also I hope they develop there app fairly quickly and it comes with decent and easily navigated features as I'm not so keen on the software as present but who knows maybe I'm doing it all wrong as I'm not that tech savy.

If you make a plug/extension cable for the servo most RC type servos use three wires so I'm betting there are three wires in there so don't buy two wire plugs. 

Wonder if they going to build an air inlet vent door air control device to go with the upper?

My TipTopTemp device works well at exhaust vent control, at least up to 300, it won't flow enough air to go much higher than that and will not go near 400.

23 hours ago, HeavyG said:

If you make a plug/extension cable for the servo most RC type servos use three wires so I'm betting there are three wires in there so don't buy two wire plugs. 

The extension that I would have to make is for a 2.5mm headphone jack I believe , picture below , maybe you know a little more about these things as I'm not sure how difficult it would be to splice on a male jack to the servo just really small wires not used to working on things this scale , not totally out of my realm but something I have haven't done , any input much appreciated

598e6123005b3_20170811_1741151.thumb.jpg.e9b914a845a6aa0bba6fb96a3a5a213f.jpg

On 8/8/2017 at 0:25 AM, Polar Bear said:

well, yeah

Its a genuine question

@Polar Bear It is a good question, and we actually haven't determined the answer yet.  A couple friends have sent me pictures of their top vent, and strangely, theirs doesn't "pivot" off to the side like a normal top vent.  In other words, they seem to have hardware that differs from what's shown in those k-joe marketing images.

We'll keep looking into this, and will cook up an attachment method here soon no matter what.

Thanks for your interest!

Eric