• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

@Bachman 5

Thank you kindly for the detailed review and feedback.  Much appreciated!

Your comments regarding the servo cable are interesting, and useful.  I'll need to think about that some.  I always have my damper cap oriented such that the servo cable just hangs down the back of the grill, past the hinge, so I really don't even think about it being there until I plug it into the controller.

Thanks again for your support.

Eric

On 8/10/2017 at 2:16 PM, Bachman 5 said:

I simply made it out of a thin piece of aluminum took of the thermometer bolt slid it on and tightened back up.

I like this idea, where do you have the cable going out of? Just out the gasket on the side or front so it doesn't mess with the Joetisserie?

4 hours ago, Logan said:

I like this idea, where do you have the cable going out of? Just out the gasket on the side or front so it doesn't mess with the Joetisserie?

I have been running it out close to front and just make sure the wire is close to the inside of dome when closing the lid and not sticking to far to the middle , I think you could also run it though the vent but I haven't tried that so I can't say for sure.

What do you do if it rains ?? There's a lot going on up on top of your cooker with the Smobot . How do you keep water from the electronics up top and also out of cooker .

The servo is weatherproof so it doesn't really need protection from the rain. Some rain might get into the cooker if there are periods where the damper is mostly open.

I've used a cheap metal roof vent cap on my kamados many years ago as a rain guard for the top vent. I bought another one for use with the SmoBot because to fit over the SmoBot you have to break out your tin snips and do some cutting.

This is the one I got from Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085UZMTG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may be able to find one cheaper at your local hardware store.

You need to cut out about an inch or so from one side and then cut a little off of each side of the cut in order to fit around the damper/servo and to allow the damper arm to move unhindered.

Attached is a crappy pic of mine (hey it's 0300 and it is drizzling!) but I think you get the picture (so to speak).

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.07.17 AM.png

On 9/14/2017 at 4:22 AM, xxx said:

What do you do if it rains ?? There's a lot going on up on top of your cooker with the Smobot . How do you keep water from the electronics up top and also out of cooker .

Heavy G answer to question is correct the servo's are quite waterproof as they use them in RC planes , cars , boats etc...

14 hours ago, HeavyG said:

The servo is weatherproof so it doesn't really need protection from the rain. Some rain might get into the cooker if there are periods where the damper is mostly open.

I've used a cheap metal roof vent cap on my kamados many years ago as a rain guard for the top vent. I bought another one for use with the SmoBot because to fit over the SmoBot you have to break out your tin snips and do some cutting.

This is the one I got from Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085UZMTG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may be able to find one cheaper at your local hardware store.

You need to cut out about an inch or so from one side and then cut a little off of each side of the cut in order to fit around the damper/servo and to allow the damper arm to move unhindered.

Attached is a crappy pic of mine (hey it's 0300 and it is drizzling!) but I think you get the picture (so to speak).

Although my Kamado is under shelter I'm going to make something similar as with winter coming the wind pick's up so even under cover rain can still end up going into my shelter.

I said in one of my earlier post that I didn't like the long cord that was attached to the servo so I decided to cut it and spliced on a female mini headphone jack and now just run a extension with male plugs on both ends.

20170910_152036.thumb.jpg.c7f87c587cd151aa739f40c4ce54943a.jpg

Also for a update I did a super long cook and was able to run this device for 21.5 hrs on one fully charged battery and for anyone else that has this and the Thermoworks Smoke the meat probes are interchangeable.

Nifty. Been using the old manual, set the vents way a long time with great results. Just recently acquired a blower through the bottom vent set up to see if I have been missing anything. So far, it has been better than reversing my shop vac to jump start a fire. LOL.

I am still not sold over my longtime routine. Just me.

Thanks for the post.

On 10/6/2017 at 6:56 AM, reinhart36 said:

@Bachman 5 Nice looking splice job!  Are you finding your custom cable to be more convenient?

Thanks for the feedback.

I can't say it is any more convenient , I just prefer it shorter and not being able to get caught up in something or hanging on the ground. 

I also decided to make a cap for my friend's Vision and gave it a run last weekend . It worked out great and he really likes it so he will be buying one , along with another friend that also as a Vision and  I will be making a cap for them also.

Any time frame for the phone app?

Vsmo.thumb.jpg.dc9ed2932b6095b5b295ed6b21bd59a4.jpg

Wow that's fantastic that you made a vision adapter.  I've been looking at doing that as well.  Very cool!

What did you make it out of?  Is it attached to the grill with a "friction fit?"

We're hoping for apps by the end of the year.  We'll have alerts up and going through the web interface soon though, to get people by.  They way it will alert you is via email.  However, if you want alerts to appear as a text meesage on your phone, most providers offer an email address for that.  For example, for Verizon, 1112223333@vtext.com, if your number is 111-222-3333..

Thanks!

@reinhart36 I made the cap out of mild steel and just sprayed it with some high temp paint , it is a friction fit which I happened to make a little big and ended up adding some gasket to the inside of the cap as well but overall works like a charm. Next one I'll make a little tighter.