chaded

Warped Metal Firebox Ring

It has been a week or two since I have used my Big Joe and went to fire it up yesterday and found my firebox ring was warped pretty bad. How does this even happen? This Big Joe has 10 cooks on it if it's lucky and none have even been high temp pizza cooks. 

I have a case created and Im sure I will be taken care of but thought it was interesting. 

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

I had the same thing happen to me on the Classic (old style but replacement firebox) after the first cook. It hasn't bothered me enough to put in a request but I did find it strange. I haven't seen any other reports besides yours though.

9 minutes ago, chaded said:

They are sending me another one. Hopefully it was a bad batch of rings or something and this doesn't persist. 

Did it warp like that with the divide and conquer rack in place with grill grates on it?  I have never seen this problem... 

52 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Did it warp like that with the divide and conquer rack in place with grill grates on it?  I have never seen this problem... 

Yes both of those were in place. 

9 hours ago, John Setzler said:

That was true for mine as well. Divide and Conquer, grates, and I don't think I had it above 500 or 600F to do some searing. Take the DnC out and it just springs up off the firebox :)

Mine was one of the very first replacement fireboxes with the new type though.

On August 6, 2017 at 1:14 PM, BURGER MEISTER said:

That truly is a bummer and most discerning because I'm seriously looking at a big joe in my near future.   Hope this is a not too common of a problem.

Murphy's law is always in effect. Every kamado brand is made by man.  I haven't had this issue with my Kamado Joe and while I can't speak for anyone else I am very happy with my decision to purchase a KJ.  I hope these guys can get back to cooking ASAP.

my worry would be:

• high heat cooks that throw heat unevenly through the firebox. Cooks using half stone and/or divided firebox, or
  • put the stone(s) on the D&C even with the top of the fire ring where stone(s) push heat right at the ring.    

Think of the metal ring as a steak, contracting and relaxing as heat hits or leaves it.......

t

On 8/6/2017 at 0:06 PM, chaded said:

It has been a week or two since I have used my Big Joe and went to fire it up yesterday and found my firebox ring was warped pretty bad. How does this even happen? This Big Joe has 10 cooks on it if it's lucky and none have even been high temp pizza cooks. 

I have a case created and Im sure I will be taken care of but thought it was interesting. 

On 8/18/2017 at 11:18 AM, John Setzler said:

@chaded

Update on this yet?

The only update I have so far is that things are pretty much the same as they were. They said they were sending me a ring out and I got the shipping label back on August 7, but nothing has moved. I contacted them yesterday and they apologized and said it is supposed to get shipped this week. So we will see how it goes. I have continued to cook but my firebox pieces are not contained and is basically just laying in the base with pieces on the sides wherever they want to be. 

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

My ring is by no means bent however, have you tried to get a second pair of hands to try and press it down as you are manipulating the firebox wedges? I'm thinking the weight of them might keep it in place. 

Not going to happen, its too severe. Also, it was all put together and then it warped so if it didnt keep it from becoming warped and popping off it is not going to stay in place with the wedges. 

Yikes,  I can offer no immediate remedy. 

OK. You are going the CS route, proving to be glitched somehow.

You have pix.

You may post on the forum asking if any KJ GURUs have a  fire box ring they can part with/loan . I saw a post awhile back from a guy in San Diego who is rehabbing a KJ he picked up for cheap. He had 3-4 other Kamados.  Not sure if it was a 2017 firebox or not.

Out of time to search for the post for you. The subject may have been "would you do this?" Get back to you amigo.

M.