Warped Metal Firebox Ring

chaded

23 hours ago, chaded said:

It looks like the new ring is on the truck for delivery today. 

I imagine they just sent you an exact replacement. If they did chances are it too will warp. Let us know what happens in the long run. 

• 9 months later...
On 6/12/2018 at 10:25 PM, Jeff H said:

My fire ring also warped. Annoying after 6 months of problem free use. I hope this is a one off.I have contacted customer service and hope this will be resolved. 1618944654_fckgQsFfRASmElHVgSlg.thumb.jpg.425172fed8275ce0ceadf0a5f8b6d27d.jpg 

cz2oj8gMR%eRltTVbbh9Eg.jpg

I’ve had some warping on mine but nowhere near as bad as yours.  Usually it goes back to normal after being pressed onto the the fire box.  The warping has never stopped it from conforming to the FB. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with the warped ring.  I have had my Big Joe since May 4, 2018 and on August 4 (3 months after purchase)  the ring just popped off.  I filed a warranty claim and they said it could be at least 3 weeks to get a new one.  Unacceptable.  Every 6 months or so when I go to take the firebox apart to do the deep cleaning I am sure the ring will be warped and I won't be able to rebuild the firebox. 

I almost wish I have purchased a different Komodo brand.  Even the green egg would have been better than this.

• 6 months later...

I did a deep clean of my Big Joe this weekend including removing and cleaning every part of the firebox (an aside, I was shocked by how much Ash was hiding behind and under panels). 

My metal retaining ring was easily as warped as the pictures in this thread. I was just as surprised when I put everything back together and it all lined up perfectly. Going from empty bottom half to fully assembled and flat firebox was probably a two minute process. I put each piece of the firebox in loosely, put on the metal ring, and then used the hole in each piece to pull inward and lock in the ring. Reassembled, everything is just fine. 

17 minutes ago, gotzero said:

I did a deep clean of my Big Joe this weekend including removing and cleaning every part of the firebox (an aside, I was shocked by how much Ash was hiding behind and under panels). 

My metal retaining ring was easily as warped as the pictures in this thread. I was just as surprised when I put everything back together and it all lined up perfectly. Going from empty bottom half to fully assembled and flat firebox was probably a two minute process. I put each piece of the firebox in loosely, put on the metal ring, and then used the hole in each piece to pull inward and lock in the ring. Reassembled, everything is just fine. 

Mine are as warped or more than any of htese as well and it doesn't keep me from being able to put it back together.  Perceived problems are not always actual problems.

22 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Mine are as warped or more than any of htese as well and it doesn't keep me from being able to put it back together.  Perceived problems are not always actual problems.

In your August 7th post you wrote, "I have never seen this problem..."  So your's warped within the last 7 months.  Can you pinpoint the cause?

28 minutes ago, pmillen said:

In your August 7th post you wrote, "I have never seen this problem..."  So your's warped within the last 7 months.  Can you pinpoint the cause?

I had not seen it when that post was made.  Yes.  Since then both of mine have warped at least as much as in these photos if not more.  The cause is heat.  Heat causes the metal to expand and warp.  And keep in mind that this thread is 18 or 19 months old.

5 hours ago, John Setzler said:

And keep in mind that this thread is 18 or 19 months old.

Duh!   Yes...I didn't notice that your comment was made in 2017.

BTW, we all kinda knew it was heat related.  I was wondering if you had identified that it was caused by unusual heating or cooling or such.  Metal warping is usually caused by uneven heating or uneven cooling.  Both probably easy to do on a kamado.

Edited by pmillen

Mine is also pretty wonky, it wasnt a problem until i took everyhing out to load the firebox up for a cook, and when I put the D/C and stones in, the ring popped and everything went all sideways. After that cook (which went fine) I did my first deep clean, took some photos, and just need to submit the claim. I'll probably keep using the bent one until it's untenable and then switch to the new one. My only concern with this issue is that it makes me afraid that i'll crack a petal or two in the firebox trying to make it all fit

21 minutes ago, KJTerp said:

Mine is also pretty wonky, it wasnt a problem until i took everyhing out to load the firebox up for a cook, and when I put the D/C and stones in, the ring popped and everything went all sideways. After that cook (which went fine) I did my first deep clean, took some photos, and just need to submit the claim. I'll probably keep using the bent one until it's untenable and then switch to the new one. My only concern with this issue is that it makes me afraid that i'll crack a petal or two in the firebox trying to make it all fit

It's really a waste of time to replace it.  The new one is gonna do the same thing the first time it gets good and hot.

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue on my Classic II.  I ignore it, as soon as I install the D&C and the grates, everything lays down fine and it doesn't affect cooking.  I also didn't bother to put in a claim since I think this will just happen again due to the thinness of metal.