chaded

Warped Metal Firebox Ring

Hate to bump an old thread but my metal fire ring gave it up last night as well.  Big Joe bought new in March.  Filed claim with KJ earlier today and parts are out of stock.  We use this thing 4-5 nights per week.  Hoping I can find a replacement ring for a spare as it appears this may be a common issue and we use the joetisserie quite a bit meaning no weight on the ring.  

B9B7C335-5402-46B1-BF8C-FEB30E10DB3E_4_5005_c.jpeg

22 hours ago, KCRebel said:

Hate to bump an old thread but my metal fire ring gave it up last night as well.  Big Joe bought new in March.  Filed claim with KJ earlier today and parts are out of stock.  We use this thing 4-5 nights per week.  Hoping I can find a replacement ring for a spare as it appears this may be a common issue and we use the joetisserie quite a bit meaning no weight on the ring.  

B9B7C335-5402-46B1-BF8C-FEB30E10DB3E_4_5005_c.jpeg

Mine is warped significantly more than that.  This ring will still hold your firebox together.  It may also eventually straighten itself back out.  Trust me.. it will work.  Put it back on and just toss your warranty replacement in storage when it arrives.

I came across this thread while searching the web because I have the same problem with the warped firebox ring. John, you say it will work but I can't see how when the ring is warped so badly that the firebox pieces won't stay inside the ring. I must be missing something because my ring looks like all the pictures in this thread, and I can not figure out how it is supposed to hold the firebox pieces together because when you snug it down on one side, the other side pops up and the firebox pieces fall back against the wall of the kamado.

Are there pictures or video somewhere of someone successfully putting together the firebox when the ring is warped like this? I have spent the better part of an hour trying to make it work, I even used the paper towel trick to hold the firebox pieces away from the walls so the ring goes on easier, it just will not go together and stay together. Very frustrating.

Thanks for any replies.

2 hours ago, RustyShackleford said:

I came across this thread while searching the web because I have the same problem with the warped firebox ring. John, you say it will work but I can't see how when the ring is warped so badly that the firebox pieces won't stay inside the ring. I must be missing something because my ring looks like all the pictures in this thread, and I can not figure out how it is supposed to hold the firebox pieces together because when you snug it down on one side, the other side pops up and the firebox pieces fall back against the wall of the kamado.

Are there pictures or video somewhere of someone successfully putting together the firebox when the ring is warped like this? I have spent the better part of an hour trying to make it work, I even used the paper towel trick to hold the firebox pieces away from the walls so the ring goes on easier, it just will not go together and stay together. Very frustrating.

Thanks for any replies.

I use my elbow to hold down one side of the ring while i get the petals under the opposite side.  Maybe a brick or something you can set on it will help you.  

Does anyone know if there is another ring that could be used or does anyone have a warped one they would sell me? I purchased my second classic preowned and it was missing the metal ring. I tried to purchase one from kamado joe with no luck. It also has a broken thumb latch, I also could not buy that from kamado joe. They were wonderful when i had to do a warranty claim on my original that i purchased, but no help with this preowned one. 

It's customer service like the above that is making me really hesitant to recommend Kamado Joe to anyone anymore.  Thank goodness my KJ Classic II has had no problems.

Tom

On 2/1/2020 at 7:38 PM, Smoking_Cannon_bbq said:

Does anyone know if there is another ring that could be used or does anyone have a warped one they would sell me? I purchased my second classic preowned and it was missing the metal ring. I tried to purchase one from kamado joe with no luck. It also has a broken thumb latch, I also could not buy that from kamado joe. They were wonderful when i had to do a warranty claim on my original that i purchased, but no help with this preowned one. 

All metal is going to warp under those conditions.  It’s unavoidable.

7 hours ago, T_om said:

It's customer service like the above that is making me really hesitant to recommend Kamado Joe to anyone anymore.  Thank goodness my KJ Classic II has had no problems.

Tom

If i'm honest, the idea that "i've never had an issue with my grill" would sell me on the product far more than "I've had a lot of warrenty issues and thier customer service has been great everytime"

So i'm not sure what your problem is...

5 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

All metal is going to warp under those conditions.  It’s unavoidable.

He's asking if anyone has a warped one he can buy as he never got one when he bought his 2nd hand joe

This looks like a fatigue issue with the heating and cooling.  Curious, is the warping occurring in the same place for everyone?  Like if the ring is installed is the bend coming coming at the East/West axis?  Thinking maybe rotating the ring every few cooks might keep the fatigue consistent across the whole ring?  I just got the new style firebox today, but was not able to install it yet.  I will try and keep an eye on it.

Mine has warped on both the Classic and Big Joe and its a non issue, the weight of the D&C holds it down. I wouldn't worry about it