Cracked fire box and charcoal bowl after 5 cooks??

carophill11

Hey folks!

I got a Vision pro S for my boyfriend for his birthday.  We've cooked on it 4 or 5 times, and generally at fairly low temperatures, and today we noticed that not only does the fire box have a hairline crack in it, but the cast iron charcoal pan is cracked half way down the middle.  The things we've cooked have been amazing, but I'm pretty upset that after less than 10 uses, those two things have broken.  I contacted Vision about it today, hoping for replacements, and we intend to use the cracked parts as long as possible.  Is this normal, though?  I am kind of beating myself up a bit for getting him this grill instead of another brand... The crack in the firebox isn't that big of a deal, I know - it should last like that for a long time, and it has a lifetime warranty.  The charcoal pan worries me more, though - I can't believe it cracked so quickly, and it's not covered under warranty like the ceramic is.

Any advice or info would be great!

P1050547.JPG

If I hadn't read your post I would have said extremely high temps but since you did mainly low and slow I can't say. 

I hate it for you but I would think that Vision will stand behind it. 

Mice had mine for a few months and I have lost track of how many times I've used it and I've done a lot of higher temp cooking without a problem. 

Looking forward to hear what Vision says.

My Vision is 5 years old and has had a cracked coal grate and a cracked bowl since the first year. I registered the issues  with Vision when they first occurred, and Vision  said they would rectify if it failed to perform because of it.  So far, may hundreds of cooks later, and it has not been an issue. Let Vision know, and cook on. 

Thanks guys!  I let them know - they said to get back in touch if the firebox/charcoal grate are no longer able to be used.  I know that cracks are common, but I feel like they should send us new parts, considering the grill is brand-spanking-new.  I replied to them and told them that I was disappointed that they wouldn't replace the parts, and haven't heard back.  I wouldn't mind so much if I'd gotten it for myself, but it was a gift, and I feel bad that we've already had issues with it.

This was their first response.  I told them how little we'd used the grill, and at what temps.

"Thank you for the photos! The good news is that this is not an uncommon occurrence with a ceramic grill, especially after several uses. As you know, the purpose of the fire bowl (and charcoal grate) is to hold fuel (charcoal); if it ever fails to do so, it will be replaced. It is our experience that cracks like this rarely develop into a broken fire bowl. Additionally, we encourage you not to remove the fire bowl to clean it, but keep it in place within the grill. An ash rake or shop vac will work well to clean out the ash. If you are looking for an ash rake suggestion, we actually sell this item here: http://www.visiongrills.com/product/ash-pan-and-rake/ . I will keep your photos on file, though, should there be any issues in the future. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns."

This was their reply after I sent them another message:

"Thank you for the extra information. We understand your plight completely and apologize if we caused any offense. Normally, the Fire Bowl costs $149.95, however, considering the circumstances, we are going to fully warrant this item and send you a brand new one. Please call us to process the shipping cost of $27.95 at 877-917-4273 (dial “2” for Customer Service). As a sign of good faith, we will also be including a pair of our signature grilling gloves."

I wish I didn't have to put on my "can I speak to a manager" haircut to get results, but I did.  :-/