Chicken is my wife’s flavor and I like to mix it up so I went with a Shawarma feast. Started out with some chicken thighs that were on sale.

36249426242_f26503fc85_z.jpg

Shinned and deboned and cut them in half.

36249425712_f974a584a9_z.jpg

Bones were saved for making stock at a later time.

36249425292_ee653dc309_z.jpg

Next I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:

1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt

5 cloves of garlic
¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. of olive oil
2 tbsp. of ketchup

1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika

½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
½ teaspoon cardamon
½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground ginger

36249424912_7b3a9716bc_z.jpg

36249424212_f48e94ef13_z.jpg

Everybody in the pool

36249423612_39e4547361_z.jpg

and then thoroughly mixed.

36021108280_433c0dc8ce_z.jpg

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

36249422622_b515b2b1f3_z.jpg

Next I made up some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)
2 cups Greek yogurt
1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
salt, pepper, to taste

36249444592_ec76398851_z.jpg

36417627305_8eb35c69ff_z.jpg

36372606896_618d6931c7_z.jpg

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.

One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans

1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon

1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)

Half of a large garlic clove, minced

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving

1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

2 to 3 tablespoons water

Dash of ground paprika for serving

36372624196_fef6858c86_z.jpg

36417635355_73e0ba6bdd_z.jpg

Then some Persian Rice (From Bosco)

2 cups of basmati rice
3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
2 tbsp of butter
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cumin
Kosher salt and pepper

36021453550_231b1ae3f9_z.jpg

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

36280972431_534b9d61c3_z.jpg

36280971771_d41a795191_z.jpg

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill.

36021192240_6c18010b43_z.jpg

Now I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices

36281007131_8287f85fa2_z.jpg

and placed them on the grill.

36021191330_e7f2975d62_z.jpg

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

36021190640_fd67088a78_z.jpg

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, baby pickles, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

35610095893_7775bdcf0e_b.jpg

So Good! My wife loved everything and said it was the better that anything she’s ever ordered at a restaurant.

Thanks for looking.

And we're off... glad to see someone is going to give ckreef a run for the money!  Beautiful cook, @DerHusker!  I'm really impressed with the results you got from the skewers. Great idea to smash it together like that. I wouldn't have thought of that. 

Just like always--awesome pictures from-- ingredients-- to prep --to cook-- to --" I really want that!!!" LOL

I have never seen skewers with the sliding clamps.

When I make the Chicken Donner Kebabs that I got on this site--I just run a bunch of skewers through from both sides and push together.

Awesome cook.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      So my work had a Chili Cookoff contest and I decided to join in on the “fun”. I put fun in parenthesis because I had to make the chili on Tuesday after work and didn’t get done until it was 9:00. I then had to wait until it cooled off enough to put it in the fridge. So I’m in bed at 10:15 and the alarm is set for 4:30. This so I can shower and get everything ready and make the drive up to the L.A. area on Wednesday. I made a White Chicken Chili called Chili Blanco. I used a recipe from All Things BBQ. (Here's a link to his video:  https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/chili-blanco/)

I tweaked the recipe a little. Here are the ingredients I used with my tweaks in red.
      ·         2 lb chicken, boneless breasts or thighs (I used 4 boneless breasts)
      ·         Carne Asada Seasoning (I used Fajita seasoning)
      ·         2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
      ·         1 large yellow onion, diced
      ·         3 Anaheim chiles, seeded, diced (I used 2 Anaheim and 1 Poblano)
      ·         1 jalapeno, seeded, diced
      ·         1 tbsp All Purpose Rub
      ·         1 tbsp ground cumin
      ·         1 tsp Mexican oregano
      ·         4 cloves garlic, minced
      ·         3 tbsp unsalted butter
      ·         1/4 cup flour
      ·         2 (15 oz) cans of great northern beans, drained, rinsed
      ·         1 quart unsalted chicken stock
      ·         1 cup heavy cream (I used Caciqui Crema Salvadorena)
      ·         8 oz cream cheese, cubed
      ·         1 bunch cilantro, minced
      ·         4 oz (1 cup) pepper jack cheese, grated

Didn’t have time for a fully documented cook photo spread but here is what I did get. I had taken some chicken I had in the freezer and thawed it out. Assembled most of my spices (some I didn’t use) and the chicken.

Sliced al the breast in half to increase the surface area

and then sprinkled on the fajita seasoning.

I grilled the chicken on my preheated Grill Grates I got from BPS.

Brought then inside to cool

while I started prepping the veggies and other ingredients.

Onion and Poblano diced

and now the Anaheim’s added.  

I took all this out and placed it in my 9 Qt. Dutch oven to sauté. This is where I was pushing for time and quit taken all the pictures that slow down the cooking process. I did get one of the final results.

I really liked the flavor and heat profile of it. It had some heat, but the heat was flavorful and not just hot. My wife also liked it but indicated it was just a little to hot. (She still ate it 2 days in a row) I didn’t win the cookoff but came in 3rd. This is a little different that what everyone was used to. The traditional chili’s won but I did get a lot of complements on it.

Thanks for looking
    • By DerHusker
      I’ve made this pizza at least 10 times as it is my favorite. This morning I made up some pizza dough.

Around 3:00 I prepped my kamado for pizza and lite it up to preheat. Around 3:30 I brought out my dough and all my ingredients.

I applied a thin layer of BBQ sauce and some red onion.

Then some red bell pepper and cilantro.

Then some chicken breast I’d mixed up with some BBQ sauce

and finally, the cheese.

Placed it on the pizza stone in the kamado for approximately 8 minutes at 400 degrees.

Here’s the result.

As always, it was delicious.

Thanks for looking

• By DerHusker
      Since my Husker Game was finally on in the evening we had a watch party at our house. I wanted something we could eat while watching the game, so I decided on Runzas (AKA Bierocks) and corn on the cob. (Both of which are Nebraska staples) I followed Cowgirl’s recipe with a few changes this time.

This time I subbed out a 1 lb. chub of Jimmy Deans regular sausage for one 1 lb. of hamburger. I also tripled the amount of garlic. Both tweaks really added to the flavor and I’ll be doing so on all future batches.

Here’s a link to a thread of my first attempt making these where the original recipe can be found.

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23518-dutch-oven-bierocks-or-runzas-or-whatever-you-want-to-call-them/

Started out making up the dough.

Prepped all the ingredients and took them all out to my gas side burner.

Sweated the onion and added the hamburger.

After the hamburger was mostly browned I added the salt, pepper and cabbage and cooked until it wilted.

The dough had risen nicely so

rolled it out into a log

and cut it into 8 roughly equal pieces and formed each piece into a ball.

I then rolled each piece into an approximate 7” round and placed 2 giant spoonful’s in the center.

I folded up the edges and pitched them together and placed each into my Dutch Oven that I had already smeared with butter. I repeated this process until it was full. I prepped my kamado for the Dutch Oven and preheated it to 325.

I then closed the lid and let this bake for approximately 35 minutes. And here is the result.

I carefully cut around each one and plated one up with a ear of corn and wash this down with a Pizza Port Brewing Swami’s I.P.A. (IPA not shown)

Yum!

Everyone thought they were delicious and the game results were good as well.

Thanks for looking.
    • By pmillen
      For one spatchcocked chicken that serves two people.  The recipe is for enough sauce to marinate and baste two servings, so multiply it by the number of servings (½ chicken per person) you are preparing.

INGREDIENTS
      1 fryer chicken per person two people

Marinade
      ½ cup soy sauce 
      ½ cup ketchup 
      ¼ cup chicken broth 
      ¼ cup pineapple juice (optional) 
      4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 
      2 Tbsp fresh ginger minced and smashed to form paste that emulsifies 
      2 Tbsp garlic minced and smashed to form paste that emulsifies 
      2 tsp dry Chinese-style mustard 
      4 tsp lime juice

DIRECTIONS
      Huli-Huli is a Hawaiian phrase that roughly translates to “turn-turn.”  This recipe is great for just about any grill and will work very well for those who like rotisserie cooking.  Some cooks insist that every time they grill chicken, especially whole or half chickens, they brine it for at least 24 hours.  If you desire to do this – I say have at it.  Sometimes I don’t know what I’m going to grill for dinner at night until I see what’s available in the grocery store meat counter at 5 o’clock, so to brine or marinate overnight is not always an option.  This is a recipe that you can cook without a long marinate. You can make it up in about 15 minutes and serve in under an hour or marinate overnight and cook the next day.

Preparation
      1.     Mix all marinade ingredients in a non-reactive container and divide in half.
      2.     Place chicken in plastic bag and add marinade, seal and place in refrigerator for 3 hours or up to overnight.
      3.     Remove from marinade and pat dry, discard used marinade.

Cook
      4.     Preheat grill to Medium High (350F – 450°F) and make sure the grates are CLEAN. 
      5.     Warm the reserved sauce on a side burner or warming rack.
      6.     Place the chicken, skin-side up, on grates to allow the bones to heat up the core for a few minutes then turn it and place it on a new section of the grates to sear the skin. 
      7.     After the chicken skin has seared, turn the bird over and baste it with sauce, allowing it to glaze a bit before turning again.
      8.     Turn it about every 5 minutes, basting it with sauce each time. 
      9.     Remove the chicken from the grill upon reaching the internal temperature of 160°F (instant read thermometer placed in the center of the breast or thickest portion of the meat on thigh – away from bone) and place it on a clean warm plate.
      10.  Baste it once more and cover it with aluminum foil and let it stand for at least 10 minutes – allowing for the internal temp of the chicken to rise approximately 10 degrees and continue cooking to your desired internal temperature.

NOTE: Use a meat thermometer while cooking to check for doneness – 180°F for whole chicken, 170°F for bone-in parts and 160°F for boneless parts.

ROTISSERIE:  This recipe can be used in preparing a whole chicken on the rotisserie.  Use the guidelines for heat settings that are appropriate to your grill, basting about every 5 minutes with sauce.