Sign in to follow this  
dianlonyc2

SUCCESS with UMAI bags & Rib Eye....but what to do with the Bark?!?!

I did a 45 day Dry Age on a 17lb Rib Eye --- I got 9 good 1.5 inch steaks.  Cooked 4 yesterday! - Used Montreal Steak seasoning as the crust.  Then moved to oven with probe at 275 to get internal of 125.  Rested 15 minutes.....then reverse seared on each side (almost 2 minutes a side) -- came out more medium --- will reduce the sear a bit next time......but after resting in tented foil....it still came out GREAT!   I grilled peppers, zucchini, and onions --- which had a dab of Peter Lugers sauce (it is great for veggies.....not for steak).   When trimming, it smelled like Soppresata....and cut like butter.   I have a stand up vacuum sealer, so it was a little bit of a challenge, but all worked out great in the end (see pics -- they are out of order but should be easy to follow) 

NOW the big question --- I saved the lean/waxy trimmings....what do I do with it?  I don't have a meat grinder for sausage.....what does everyone do?   

DA1.jpg

DA6.jpg

DA5.jpg

DA4.jpg

DA3.jpg

DA2.jpg

Edited by dianlonyc2
Pics out of order

On 09/08/2017 at 12:59 AM, dianlonyc2 said:

So is the bark edible?  Can I make dog treats out of it?  I assume it has to be cooked.  

I give all the trimmings to the dog. I scatter some trimmings through his normal food and he loves it!