John Setzler

LEM Jerky Cannon Snack Sticks

jerkycannon.thumb.jpg.15ae4ac63dcc6ebe08cc76563d41d332.jpg

I bought this thing several years ago and never got around to giving it a try until today...

snackstix01.thumb.jpg.dc8f0774554b59d113a2b1f7cbb0d1b6.jpg

I started out with 3lbs of 93/7 lean ground beef.  The Jerky Cannon came with a snack stick seasoning mix and cure that was enough for 5lbs.  I divided that out into the right quantities for 3lbs and made some flat and round snack sticks...

snackstix02.thumb.jpg.8b9e29554c5999e1241cec4e86165097.jpg

After about 90 minutes on the Yoder YS640, these things had a color and texture that I really liked... I brought them in and let them cool.  They are fantastic!  I think I will try these again soon and I'll start working on my own seasoning / cure recipe to use.  I will also probably experiment with ground chicken or turkey.. maybe even ground pork loin... we''l try some different things :)

2 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

I'm just waiting for the season/cure recipe.  We often do jerky in our dehydrator and I am guessing that the cure would carry across.

I used the seasoning/cure that came with this Jerky Cannon on this batch.  I will have to develop one of my own to use with it next time.  I am also going to experiment with some different types of meat.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I used the seasoning/cure that came with this Jerky Cannon on this batch.  I will have to develop one of my own to use with it next time.  I am also going to experiment with some different types of meat.

Yeah, at the moment we use pre-packaged seasoning/cure.  We got various different ones with our dehydrator.

Dang, that makes me want to bust out the ol Jerky Cannon this weekend! Someone is also selling a YS640 locally for $1450. He just bought it and says it doesn't smoke like his stickburner so he's selling it. I highly doubt anyone in this area is gonna give $1500 for a cooker like that, I thought about asking him to take a grand or so on it. 

18 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

Dang, that makes me want to bust out the ol Jerky Cannon this weekend! Someone is also selling a YS640 locally for $1450. He just bought it and says it doesn't smoke like his stickburner so he's selling it. I highly doubt anyone in this area is gonna give $1500 for a cooker like that, I thought about asking him to take a grand or so on it. 

Is it a standard 640 or the competition cart model?

**** update ****

24 hours later....

i dont think i let this jerky stay in the heat quite long enough.  It felt good and tasted great yesterday.  Today, it had softened up significantly.  I took it all out of the packaging and put it back on the smoker for a while. I have done some reading and found a possible foolproof way to know when the jerky is ready... i will post more on that after i try it.