• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Brickbat

Pit Boss / Danson's customer service

After three calls and one email, I finally got to speak with a rep from Pit Boss / Danson's customer service. Rep was extremely courteous. I told him my grill was not shutting down when I closed all of the vents, almost all of the lump would be consumed in the morning when I woke up, loose bottom vent, smoke leaking from closed top vent, etc. His reply was, "That is normal. They aren't supposed to be air tight." I didn't agree with him, but I didn't argue.  I just asked, well would you mind sending me some felt? He was again extremely polite and asked me if two 6 foot strips would be enough. Supposedly the felt is now on the way.

I would advise anyone else with a leaky Pit Boss to just order nomex felt for ~$15 from amazon. It takes too much time to actually get a response from the company. On the bright side, the rep was very pleasant, and I really like my grill!

I guess it depends on what time you called.  I got them on the phone right away.  They also sent me a seal kit.  It included self adhesive felt for the lid and body, some felt that did not have adhesive, and some high temp RTV.  If you are just getting the self adhesive felt, it will work for the top vent (as an additional layer), but it is not going to fix your lower vent.  You need to get some RTV and run a bead on the bottom.

I had the same issues and emailed their service center. They also were courteous, explained that the problem is the top vent allowing air in. He said he would send felt. It never came. I emailed back got a different rep and he said the info was entered wrong. I then received two shipments of felt and red caulking. From my experience they where very helpful but really lacked in responsiveness as they took a long time, weeks, to respond and sometimes not at all.

its now fixed and works great. Which begs the question why not apply this resolution to all of their products before shipments? Seems like it would be a lot less expensive for them.

31 minutes ago, Sdpike said:

Which begs the question why not apply this resolution to all of their products before shipments? Seems like it would be a lot less expensive for them.

I completely agree. It seems that with just a little more quality assurance it would be fantastic out of the box. They would have happy customers and less expense in customer service costs and returned grills. 

I bought this Grill on clearance, and I knew that I might have to seal up some leaks. I am very happy with it, but I bet there are a lot of disappointed people who expected a fully functional product out of the box.

And just so no one gets the wrong idea, I really have loved cooking on this grill for the last week and a half. It has made me, my family and friends some great meals and good times!

I forgot to mention one of the most important things. I am extremely thankful for this community. I know that I could not have produced any of these spectacular meals that I have put on the table without the benefit of everyone's knowledge that they have posted on this forum. You guys are awesome!

Just to follow up, this afternoon I did receive the promised felt from Danson's. I called on Friday August 11, and it was shipped 5 days later on Wednesday August 16 per the shipping label.  I also was able to do a 250 degree smoke with the stock upper and lower vents. The lover vent was only open about 1/16" and the top vent was completely closed. It will be interesting to see how the addition of the felt changes things.

Hope it all works out well, Brickbat.

I read somewhere on here that the 2017 K22 had the lower vent updated with another vent with holes in it (screen) behind the solid original vent which would decrease the draft even more. I called Dansons in Canada because my 2017 K22 has the solid vent only (not complaining) just wanted to verify mine was a 2017. The pleasant lady said that the models made exclusive for Costco's had the solid vent only and also had the black side tables (mine are bamboo) and I bought mine from Walmart. She said there has been a tremendous increase in sales over the last couple of years and they are trying to keep up with demand, Good News.

13 minutes ago, saltair said:

Hope it all works out well, Brickbat.

I read somewhere on here that the 2017 K22 had the lower vent updated with another vent with holes in it (screen) behind the solid original vent which would decrease the draft even more. I called Dansons in Canada because my 2017 K22 has the solid vent only (not complaining) just wanted to verify mine was a 2017. The pleasant lady said that the models made exclusive for Costco's had the solid vent only and also had the black side tables (mine are bamboo) and I bought mine from Walmart. She said there has been a tremendous increase in sales over the last couple of years and they are trying to keep up with demand, Good News.

Sounds like we have the same grills from Walmart. Bamboo handle and side tables and single solid lower vent. My serial number had 2017 in it, so I assume it was manufactured this year. I am definitely going to use the felt to try and get a better seal on my bottom vent, it definitely seems like the bottom vent track was made to accommodate the 2nd vent with holes in it. Since we don't have it, it is not tight and leaks air. @jadocs has a K24, and I think he said his did not have the high temp silicone around the bottom of his lower vent. Mine does have it, but it still leaks since the metal slider is not snug in the track.

Yeah, mine leaked from under the lower vent and around the top vent. RTV fixed the bottom and additional felt fixed the top.  I do have two sliders in my bottom vent (spark slider and a solid one).