John Setzler

FireBoard Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer

I also have both a Smoke and Fireboard, got them within the same month last year.

Absent a complete teardown/analysis of each unit I'm curious what factors anyone would use to say the overall construction of either unit is superior/inferior to another.

Since i dont have the fireboard and can only speculate, could it be the weight coupled with the resistance to the elements that comes standard on the smoke and needs the case for the fireboard? Granted heavier weight doesnt inherently mean stronger but...... 

For those fireboard owners, is battery life living up to expectations? 

The battery life of the Fireboard is fine. From a full charge I have never had it get close to running out but the longest I have had a session was only 10 or 12 hours. My problem is I almost never remember to recharge the Fireboard after I have used it so I usually go ahead and plug it into an external USB battery pack. I have plenty of those and at least a few of them are fully charged as I use them with other devices.

I was using my Smoke for a simple cook a few months ago and a line of strong thunderstorms came thru. I wasn't worried since it is supposedly water resistant, however, after the first line of storms rolled thru I noticed one of the probes wasn't reading. When the rain lightened up I went outside to check it and the Smoke unit was fine  but I guessed that perhaps I didn't fully seat the probe plug. I dried off the plug and firmly plugged it back into the Smoke and it was reading fine. However, when the next line of storms rolled thru the same thing happened except this time it was both probes not reading correctly. After that line of storms passed went back outside, dried off the plugs, firmly plugged them both back in (they started reading correctly again) and then... put the Smoke in a ziplock bag since there were more bands of storm rolling thru later.

While the Smoke may be ok with a bit of a drizzle it certainly wasn't up to the line of kickass storms we had that day/night.

11 minutes ago, kamadokirby said:

Does anyone own or plan to get the FireBoard Drive? I'm curious to know how well this new accessory performs for temperature control.

A couple of folks on another forum have already received theirs but are waiting for the weekend to use them.

Mine will arrive next Tuesday.

I'm sure it will work just fine.

The price of the Fireboard Drive has pushed me away from recommending it.  $89 for the cable and $50 for the fan.  That's on top of the $189 or $249 you spend on the Fireboard itself.  It's definitely a nice toy but at that price point it goes into my category of not worth the money for what you get out of it.  I bought the $249 Fireboard kit and I like what it offers me when cooking on my Yoder where i might have that many cuts of meat going at once.  For a kamado, that is overboard in my opinion.  

Have fun deciding what you will spend your money on :)

I ended up getting a thermoworks smoke for my Birthday. Great  thermometer but it drops out of range during overnight cooks, beeps and wakes everyone up :)

I might just get the gateway module so I can monitor over wi-fi but I'm still intrigued by other units that have temperature control!

5 minutes ago, kamadokirby said:

I ended up getting a thermoworks smoke for my Birthday. Great  thermometer but it drops out of range during overnight cooks, beeps and wakes everyone up :)

I might just get the gateway module so I can monitor over wi-fi but I'm still intrigued by other units that have temperature control!

Trust your grill.  When it is stable, it will stay that way overnight without issue unless it is windy.  I have made many many overnight cooks without the help of electronics.  If I can do it, anyone can.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By pmillen
      I’m a bit annoyed by vague recipes.  Instructions like “Add some oregano” or “Add your preferred amount of garlic” are meaningless the first time I follow a given recipe.  Moreover, charcoal cooking temperatures, like medium-high, are especially worthless to me.  I know, I know, some of you will say, “Just cook it to the proper internal temperature irrespective of the heat.”  I do, but grill heat plays an important role in meat texture and Maillard reaction production.  

So, since a medium temperature on my Kamado Joe is significantly different from the medium temperature attainable on my two-burner hibachi, I set about trying to determine if there’s an actual temperature consensus among professional cooks.  The first (and only) cookbook I reviewed is a collection of other authors’ recipes, Weber’s Greatest Hits, by Jamie Purviance.  He doesn’t differentiate between grate temperature and dome temperature, but his definitions appear to be–

High............ 450° to 550°
      Med-High.... 400° to 500°
      Med............. 350° to 450°
      Low............. 250° to 350°

So, what temperature do you use when you read Low, Medium or High?  And do you measure at the grate or dome?

BTW, I prefer grate temperature since I consider dome thermometers to be unreliable, and even if accurate, don’t tell me much about the heat surrounding the meat.
    • By Red River Smoke
      Made a Costco pack of pork shoulder (15lbs) on Saturday, this was actually my first really long cook with my Akorn, turned out great!  Used Meathead's rub recipe, and dumped on some Pig's ### sauce (nice surprise how good that was!) after it was pulled.  Otherwise just let it go almost 12 hours with some hickory thrown in with the lump pulled them off around 197 degrees.  The shoulder I thought was larger got done about 45 minutes quicker, really loving having multiple probes with the Fireboard. I think the wind was swirling a bit as I had a little harder time than usual maintaining pit temps, I was aiming for about 240 at the grill, but I did let it climb a bit at the end trying to push through the stall.  Also the first time I really noticed a stall, so I'm thinking that my other ways I've done pulled pork before I had a kamado were running hotter than I thought and I didn't have a good way to monitor it.  Had some happy family and friends with the end result and I had fun cooking anyway, also made some cheesy hashbrowns to go with.

• By BennyB
      Hi all,
      I've had a feeling that my Pit Boss temp probe was a bit out so I tested it tonight in boiling water and it taps out at around 180f (my Thermopen read 211.6f). It doesn't look like you can calibrate it - I had a look at the end and although there's a ridge that a screwdriver can go in it doesn't move.

I've seen a few people replace their gauge and Tell Tru brand pops up a lot, is there a particular model everyone recommends and where would I get it online? I'm in Australia so online is likely the only option.

Cheers,
      Ben
    • By BGWolf
      Wow! look at the latest from ThermoWorks. 

http://www.thermoworks.com/ThermaQ-WiFi
    • By Bob Fletcher
      A quick report on my first use of the new Thermoworks Smoke wireless thermometer.  I did two game hens.  My set up was on the Big Joe with a divided firebox and both halves of the D&C plates stacked on the indirect cooking side (non charcoal side.)  I would think heat from the bottom up on that side would be pretty minimal.  Set to cook at about 350 F.  I found that when my grate thermometer reached 350, my dome was up around 420.... no wonder I have been having some really slow cooks delay dinner!  The birds took maybe 10 minutes more than anticipated, but not too bad.  Interestingly, the tops hardly browned at all.  When the Smoke meat probe was reading 165 F, I double checked with the Thermowork ThemoPop and there was no point in the birds less than 165.  I thought they might taste dry and over done but not so.  While there was a slight pinkish color in the dark meat, the birds were completely done, and super moist.  This was also my first time cooking game hens on the Joe, and while I didn't use any smoke wood, just the charcoal flavor was excellent.  The boss said they were the best game hens she has ever had. 
      Since I am so new to Kamado cooking and this is my first wireless two channel thermometer, I can't really do a comparison or decent review, but my initial thoughts are - for $100 I am very happy so far.