• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
EZ smoke

Walmart.com has 20# Cowboy Lump for $9.78

I know Cowboy Lump gets mixed reviews but for $0.50/lb shipped to my door I'm probably going to give it a shot.

Cowboy® 20 lb Hardwood Lump Charcoal $9.78

Order 4 bags and they'll ship for free. B)

I've used a lot of RO but haven't been able to find any decent deals around me in the past 6 months. I've been using El Diablo lately and AFAIC it is decent stuff. Local walmart stores have had 40# bags for $15 but it has started to be hard to find.

Been using this Cowboy lump for the past month or so and IMHO it's been as good as El Diablo and right in line with RO. Based on reviews it appears they had issues in the past but the stuff I've got is really pretty decent.

It's now $10.50 for a 20# bag but still represents about $0.50/lb... I'm actually ordering another 4 bags to get free shipping. I love not having to go out and find deals on this or other lump locally. I also like not having to put it inside a car or truck. With that being said I'm sure the FedEx guy doesn't appreciate it.

This new order of (4) 20# bags plus the lump I already have on hand should get me thru next spring. I'm always curious what other people go through because I burn through about a 20# bag a month.

Its a little smokier, little more ash, and a little less hot than "good" stuff like royal oak or kj.  IMO much better than kingsford competition (far more ash).  The smoke is good for beef, not so good for others.  

I just finished off my pallet I got when HD discontinued the 8 lb bags that I got for $2 ea.  I didn't find any trash (plastic, plywood) in about 30 bags.  Got about 1 bag of rocks out of the deal.

Just another bump as it's still $10.50/20# bag. I'm into my 4th bag and this stuff hasn't disappointed. I have experienced large pieces of lump with almost zero rock and/or construction waste. Again, the smoke profile is a little bit more than RO but I've done lot's of baking, grilling, smoking and everything I've done has turned out fine.

I've stocked up with a couple hundred pounds to make it through the winter. :)

I bought a bag here in Kentucky at Costco. Opened it up and it was full of chips smaller than briquettes, literally chips. I don't know who the supplier is in my region but I ended up taking it back. Total bummer as it was under $10/bag. Glad someone is getting a deal and good lump!

I saw a lot negative reviews of Cowboy Lump Charcoal when I first started perusing the Guru, so stayed away from it (RO being the only other lump option).  After trying another off-brand charcoal I found at a grocery store, I decided to give Cowboy a whirl, and have had pretty good luck.  Each bag I've purchased comes with a good amount of larger lumps for long low-n-slow cooks.

The only problem I *may* have had is burning through it too fast, but from my last overnight pork butt cook (using RO), I had the same issue.  I've seen a few other threads for this, but I keep running out of fuel about 10 hours into my cooks.  My last overnight pork roast, the temperature never exceeded 270, and 10 hours later there were only two or three pieces of lump that left (that didn't ignite) at the edges of the fire box.  I'm wondering if I'm burning too much at the start.  Only using one KJ fire starter, firebox is full up to the heat deflector's lower setting, with about 5 pieces of pecan wood for smoke on top of it all.  And again, in 10 hours I've burned through it.  I'm honestly a little disappointed, because I was able to get greater longevity out of my Akorn (at less than half the cost) than I'm getting with my KJ Classic.  Granted, the KJ does maintain temperature much better (Akorn is/was really hard to set - it seemed to either burn too hot or snuff out), but I think the KJ's smaller firebox is giving me trouble.  I'll post pics of my setup on another thread and see if anyone can help me fix the issue.

Sorry if this hijacks the original thread.  Seems like the original poster was just sharing good news and didn't have a problem to troubleshoot. :)

No apology necessary for the "hijack"... The KJ classic is going to burn through lump faster than an Akorn because it takes longer for the ceramic in the KJ to heat soaked but once it's up to temp it will maintain temps easier. I do think the that KJ classic smaller firebox can be problematic for super long L&S cooks.

Totally subjective but I don't think that the Cowboy lump is the longest lasting lump I've used either. It's my gut feeling that RO burned longer than the Cowboy or El Diablo that I've been using lately.