Fill it Grill it basket and wings

I curious to know from those of you with more experience.

I'm using the Fill it and Grill it basket, but if I apply my rub beforehand I typically get all the rub accumulated on the rails or rubbed off, leaving smooth chicken. I've also not achieved crispy skin yet. I've seen pictures of people with beautiful crispy (and well-rubbed) chicken. Any suggestions? Is my fire too cool (350 to 400 dome)? Is my charcoal bed too low? Just apply more rub after the cook is done?

I have one for my Weber kettle. It's ok for some things, but I wasn't completely happy with the wings. Cooking indirect the wings had good taste, an even cook and pretty good capacity, but the skin never got crispy when I used the basket. I didn't try a direct cook as I was worried about burning the wings and an uneven cook.

If you want crispy skin I'd look into a Vortex.

Roasting peppers and other veggies works great in the basket. 

On 8/16/2017 at 8:07 PM, Logan said:

I curious to know from those of you with more experience.

I'm using the Fill it and Grill it basket, but if I apply my rub beforehand I typically get all the rub accumulated on the rails or rubbed off, leaving smooth chicken. I've also not achieved crispy skin yet. I've seen pictures of people with beautiful crispy (and well-rubbed) chicken. Any suggestions? Is my fire too cool (350 to 400 dome)? Is my charcoal bed too low? Just apply more rub after the cook is done?

That's really strange.  I don't spin but when I cook chicken, usually cook at 250-300F then for last stage, I depend on indirect 350-400F for 30-60 minutes to crisp the skin.  Otherwise it stays too rubbery.  

The dome is not a good reference tho - you might have better luck referring to an actual grate temperature probe like Maverick ET-732 .

Maybe the fat just doesn't drain enough when you spin.  But seems like it would just need more time.

I'd spike the chicken so it doesn't tumble, you don't want the rub to be rubbed off.  Whats wrong with the forks.

I do mine at 350 direct. I apply a light coating of baking powder to my wings several hours before cooking then put my rub on also and place them in the fridge till ready to cook. I usually go from 45 minutes to an hour but be careful cause they are easy to over cook using direct heat. They come out crispy this way. I sauce in last few minutes if using sauce.

14 hours ago, robertyb said:

I do mine at 350 direct. I apply a light coating of baking powder to my wings several hours before cooking then put my rub on also and place them in the fridge till ready to cook. I usually go from 45 minutes to an hour but be careful cause they are easy to over cook using direct heat. They come out crispy this way. I sauce in last few minutes if using sauce.

Do you do them in a rotisserie basket?

On 8/18/2017 at 3:31 PM, ero4444 said:

I'd spike the chicken so it doesn't tumble, you don't want the rub to be rubbed off.  Whats wrong with the forks.

What's wrong is I don't have enough forks for 30 chicken wings :P

Flat basket works great, I was just trying to get more cooked at once. I've done some experimentation:

Definitely let them thaw all the way and then pat them dry with paper towels.

So far baking powder seems to work best (better than corn starch or with nothing)

I bumped the heat up to 400--450 in the dome, cooking direct. 

At this temperature and dryness, the rub (which I applied right after the baking powder) seems to stay on well enough.

I'm satisfied with these results: crispy bite and sound, but juicy and falling off the bone inside.

IMG_2727[1].JPG