DIY security system - Anyone else?

philpom

Just curious if anyone else has gone this route and what they are doing to avoid the monthly fees.  I am working on a GSM system myself but will take me about a year to "pay it back".  I called around and the 3 door/window sensor, 1 motion sensor systems are a joke for actual coverage (4 outside doors, 22 windows, two bay garage,  single story home).  Ain't gonna work.  What do y'all do?  I went with a company called Fortress, there are pros and cons.

I went with ATT, planned on building something else and changing but over time with research i have stayed with them going on 3 years soon. 2 main reasons keeps me with them, they have matched simply safe price of 24.99 and as long as i am a customer they replace parts that go bad for free. I live near the coast so salt water kills sensors regularly. This service perk alone has saved me lots and makes staying with them an easy choice. 

I bought my first system wholesale through a friend of mine.  It was kinda overkill but there were no really blind entry exit points to the house.  I walked into a smaller bank branch and saw the same system there so I was pretty happy with that.  My current system was through a security company and I'm really not happy with the coverage or monitoring.  All these companies seem interested in is collecting their monthly fee and, every couple of years, letting you know your battery is going flat.  When I move to NBN in a few weeks and have to think about it again I may just build my own system with either a 3G or VoIP dialer.

11 hours ago, AntinOz said:

I bought my first system wholesale through a friend of mine.  It was kinda overkill but there were no really blind entry exit points to the house.  I walked into a smaller bank branch and saw the same system there so I was pretty happy with that.  My current system was through a security company and I'm really not happy with the coverage or monitoring.  All these companies seem interested in is collecting their monthly fee and, every couple of years, letting you know your battery is going flat.  When I move to NBN in a few weeks and have to think about it again I may just build my own system with either a 3G or VoIP dialer.

I didn't want to have to pay every month for service so a major driver fr the system I got was to be able to self monitor.  The system is 3g/4g and everything has battery backup so cutting lines won't stop it from working.  It can call and/or text 6 different #'s and I can set specific zones to call specific #'s for example if zone 1 was the panic button in my bedroom I set zone 1 to dial 911 and it delivers the message.  If zone 2 was parameter sensors then I just have it call me and if I don't answer it can escalate to another # such as 911.

I avoided VoIP/landline options due to risk of cutting the line.  The equipment I bought came with the sim card and get's me 100 minutes per month for $7.99.  

I added n optional remote keypad that supports RFID tags, this makes it very simple to get in to the house without fumbling with the keypad etc.  I also included in my package glass break sensors, contact sensors, pet immune PIR sensors, key fobs, panic button, strobes and sirens (140 db WOWZER!)  140 db is the threshold accepted as were the ear experiences pain.  

The system supports 99 zones, 10 sensors per zone and 40 RFID tags.

$5 a year to register with the city and get my permit. 

We had a local security company install it when we renovated the house. We're on Verizons 4g network and monitoring is like $30 per month. Ce trial station monitoring is quick and very good. The guy we used is helpful and very knowledgeable. 

16 hours ago, Nunyabiz said:

I have a Chihuahua and a shotgun.

14 hours ago, KamadoJosephine said:

I have a very effective DIY security system.

60kg Great Pyrenees :-D 

Ah yes, the good old standby, a dog.  We have two 85lb doberman pinschers.  For some reason when we take them for walks people always move to the other side of the road....  They generally like strangers when they are away from home but not really when they are home.

Temperament: Obedient, Fearless, Intelligent, Alert, Energetic, Loyal, Confident

We went with Simplisafe. You pay for the equipment up front ($15/sensor) and install yourself in about an hour and a half. We needed 17 sensors--one for each window and paid about $400 in equipment. Monitoring is $15/ month and the system is wireless. I'm working on a camera system next. 

16 hours ago, Woodman said:

We went with Simplisafe. You pay for the equipment up front ($15/sensor) and install yourself in about an hour and a half. We needed 17 sensors--one for each window and paid about $400 in equipment. Monitoring is $15/ month and the system is wireless. I'm working on a camera system next. 

I highly recommend looking in to amcrest camera's.  They work very well and have any feature you could want.  P2P, cloud, local or FTP storage.  Motion detection, 2 way communication, HD video, notification push with pictures, too much to mention and the web app and phone app are awesome.