Deer Anyone???

Any help on cooking deer backstraps/loins on the King-Griller?

Cook it just as you would any other loin. I'd reverse sear to 125-130, and then blast it to a nice medium rare at 135*, stick it under a tent for 5-10 minutes, and then carve. I'd use salt and pepper with some garlic and a dash of cayenne.

Have a great cook! :D

Oh! Sure. Sorry about that Sawedoff!

Reverse sear is a cooking technique that makes for the most wonderfully tender steaks, chops, etc.

A reverse sear, aka The Finney Method, is a cooking technique that allows the meat's muscle fibers to relax and thus you have a very tender cook. Simply searing the outside causes the muscle fibers to contract, squeezes out juice, and you can end up with a tougher cook than necessary.

Start your kamado's lump and get your fire established. Set up your rig and put on the loin over indirect heat. Let the loin slowly come up to temp as your kamado heats up inside. In your case, for medium rare, that'll be 125-130*F. Remove the loin and place it under a foil tent. Open the vents on your kamado wide open and let it come up to searing temp, about 500-500-600*, the hotter the better. When you've got your kamado there, put the loin back over the direct heat and sear all side until the internal temp hits about 135*, medium rare. Once there, pull, tent under foil for 5-10 minutes and serve!

Jere is a link directly to Finney's description of his reverse sear technique:

http://www.ironpigbbq.com/Reverse-Sear.html

Here is a link for temps for rare, medium rare, etc:

http://reluctantgourmet.com/tips-guides ... ness-chart

I promise you'll have the tastiest, most tender loin you've ever had! Enjoy! :D

Thanks for your reply CeramicChef!

As I understand (and I am a little slow), you heat the grill to about 130 over indirect heat, in my case a smoking stone. Remove loin and foil tent. Remove smoking stone and bring heat up high as you can get it. Replace loin over direct heat to sear to 135.

Sorry, but I don't want to mess this up as I spent to much time in the woods harvesting deer to ruin it..

Thanks for your reply CeramicChef!

As I understand (and I am a little slow), you heat the grill to about 130 over indirect heat, in my case a smoking stone. Remove loin and foil tent. Remove smoking stone and bring heat up high as you can get it. Replace loin over direct heat to sear to 135.

Sorry, but I don't want to mess this up as I spent to much time in the woods harvesting deer to ruin it..

I certainly understand! No big deal ... that's why we are here.

Get your fire started with your lump. Make certain it is established. Then put in your rig with the smoking stone. Close the lid and close down the vents. I'd look for a temp inside the kamado of about 225*F and put on the loin. I let my loins attain room temp before I put it on. Monitor the internal temp of the loin and pull around 125*F (I'm assuming you want this to be medium rare.). Tent under foil. Open the vents, top and bottom, and get your kamado to between 500-600*F and put your loin back on. Pull loin at an internal temp of 135*F. Use the original foil you tented with before the sear and tent again for 5-10 minutes.

If you have any other questions ... just ask away! :D

Enjoy!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Cook it just as you would any other loin. I'd reverse sear to 125-130, and then blast it to a nice medium rare at 135*, stick it under a tent for 5-10 minutes, and then carve. I'd use salt and pepper with some garlic and a dash of cayenne.

2nd this only thing I would add is bast with butter deer doesnt have marble fat like beef but its awesome grilled and tender. but dont over cook or let it get to dry!