Sign in to follow this  
nguye569

How long can you hold temp before it starts creeping up?

Just as the title says, how long can you maintain temperature on your Akorn before it starts slowly creeping up? I'm consistently able to hold around 235 for 4.5 to 5 hours. What do you do to keep the Akorn from doing this?

Generally don't worry about it. The creeping up on an Akorn has more to do with the meat coming up to temp. If you started out at 235* and it creeps all the way up to 300* by the end of your low-n-slow it won't hurt anything. 

A few things to keep in mind once at a stable temperature:

1) when you put that cold hunk of meat on your temperature will drop for a while. Don't adjust your vents, the temperature will recover. 

2) when it goes into the stall your temperature will drop for a while. Don't adjust your vents the temperature will recover. 

The less you worry about it and the less you play with the vents the less stressful your cook will be. 

I agree with ckreef... The meat (especially big chunks) act as a heat sink. As those get warmer, your grill will creep up a little bit. If you have a stable temp for 5 hours, I wouldn't really touch anything.

Unless you are opening it a lot, have big air leaks, or have a problem with airflow (ash blocking vent, etc), you shouldn't worry much about a little creeping (or falling) temp. Once you start chasing temps, it never ends, and you'll drive yourself crazy.