Classic 1 vs Classic 2

Woodman

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone spotting any deals on the Classic 2 ? or expecting any black friday deals ? 

Not seeing any Costco Road shows - but see a few such as Atlanta Grill offering the $969 price, and also a few available Rakuten cashbacks to being price down further - but that's about as much as i see 

Lookin back to last year - Amazon had the Classic 2 for around $713

Kamado Joe II $999 at Costco.  Kamado Joe 1 $650 at Home Depot.  But I am able to buy a coupon that takes 15% off of that price bringing it down to $552+$20(for coupon) so $572.

Should I just stick to the Classic?  I don't plan on using it more than maybe twice a month and it'll be stored inside my shed when not in use.

Also is it really that heavy to lift the lid?  I am fairly fit.

btw: Oh the coupon for Home Depot can be purchased at discountcoupon.com

I am not in shape, unless you consider egg a shape.:-D

Lid is not heavy at all.  Get the Classic I from HD and take the $$ you save and buy some accessories.  CI grate, soapstone and a Jotisserie should take care of the leftover $$!

• 10 months later...

Hi - I’ve been interested in a Kamado grill for years, and finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe.  I can get the Classic 1 at Lowe’s for $750, or the Classic 2 online for $1300.  I think I understand the differences, but can’t see how the 2 is worth more than $500 more.  It seems like you can buy the new gasket and top vent for $150, so the only difference seems to be the easy opening hood.  Is that really worth another $400, and/or is there something else I’m missing?  Thanks, Brian

59 minutes ago, Brian OD said:

Hi - I’ve been interested in a Kamado grill for years, and finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a Kamado Joe.  I can get the Classic 1 at Lowe’s for $750, or the Classic 2 online for $1300.  I think I understand the differences, but can’t see how the 2 is worth more than $500 more.  It seems like you can buy the new gasket and top vent for $150, so the only difference seems to be the easy opening hood.  Is that really worth another $400, and/or is there something else I’m missing?  Thanks, Brian

"worth" is relative to the individual.  You just can't put dollar amounts on features and have them apply 'worth' equally to a group of people :)

1 hour ago, Brian OD said:

the air lift hinge will make the dome easier to open and close, but it can also hold the dome in any position you want, like half open or whatever.

the old heavy dome lid can slam itself closed, i would be afraid it would break something.

it is quite a bit more expensive upfront, but if youre gonna be using it forever i dont think it matters that much in the end.

8 hours ago, PHEAD said:

the old heavy dome lid can slam itself closed, i would be afraid it would break something.

The Classic I I saw at Lowe's has a spring-assisted hinge.  Not the air lift, and it won't hold in position, but it's improved a bunch over the original.  Also has the multi-part fire box.  Does not have the new gasket, though.

• 1 month later...

And I went with the Classic 1, it was like $750 at Lowes while the II was about $1300.. to me that was the no brainer! Lid is not that hard to pick up and if I have to replace a $40 gasket every 5-8 years thats no biggie either.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, len440 said:

Don't think you will have any regrets What have you Komado'ed ( is that a word?) so far 

I ended up with the KJ Classic I, and have no regrets whatever.  Have cooked chicken (parts and whole), beef and pork steaks and roasts, grill-fried potatoes, grilled vegetables, smashed burgers.  Temps from 250 to 550, times from 10 minutes to 5 hours.  

Worked great for all.  Limiting factor is still the skill of the cook, not the grill.  Did get a Smokewares chimney, that has helped my confidence in setting a temperature.  No regrets at all in not going for a later model.  I went into the year looking at getting a Weber kettle, the KJ is a whole lot more than I was expecting.

Any regrets are more in the afterthoughts department.  I didn't really consider the Akron before the purchase, but like several features of those grills.  Ditto the Primo.  But a different KJ?  Nope, for me I got the one that suits me.  Your mileage may vary.