My initial attempt at making pizza on my Pit Boss kamado was outstanding. Later attempts have had problems. 

I purchased the rectangular Baking Steel and BTS'd my next few crusts. This time, I had the steel over 3/4" spacers on my heat deflector on top of the grills, rather than fire->deflector-spacers-steel.

Better luck tonight! I made three dough balls from the 24-48 Hour recipe. I found these really easy to work with, but as my wife points out, "the book makes more sense the third time you  try it".

They rolled out into great shells.

I brought the grill up to ~450 on the dome thermometer and kept it there until the steel approached that temp. I know Ken's book says 550F, but the PB dome is hard to get that hot.

I parbaked the first shell and that turned out fine, then wife made a crust for Ken's "Artichoke and Bacon" za. Delicious! We ate half of that one. Should have turned it on the grill part-way through for more even browning.

Then I formed the last ball to make the Margherita with Arugula and sopressata recipe. Pics follow. Folded it over on the arugula to wilt it. Way yummy. The steel was probably a bit more uniformly hotter at this point, and the crust bottom looks pretty good.

IMG_20170822_201733.jpg

IMG_20170822_204148.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2017 at 10:56 PM, Clayton_Haapala said:

My initial attempt at making pizza on my Pit Boss kamado was outstanding. Later attempts have had problems. 

I purchased the rectangular Baking Steel and BTS'd my next few crusts. This time, I had the steel over 3/4" spacers on my heat deflector on top of the grills, rather than fire->deflector-spacers-steel.

Better luck tonight! I made three dough balls from the 24-48 Hour recipe. I found these really easy to work with, but as my wife points out, "the book makes more sense the third time you  try it".

They rolled out into great shells.

I brought the grill up to ~450 on the dome thermometer and kept it there until the steel approached that temp. I know Ken's book says 550F, but the PB dome is hard to get that hot.

I parbaked the first shell and that turned out fine, then wife made a crust for Ken's "Artichoke and Bacon" za. Delicious! We ate half of that one. Should have turned it on the grill part-way through for more even browning.

Then I formed the last ball to make the Margherita with Arugula and sopressata recipe. Pics follow. Folded it over on the arugula to wilt it. Way yummy. The steel was probably a bit more uniformly hotter at this point, and the crust bottom looks pretty good.

IMG_20170822_201733.jpg

IMG_20170822_204148.jpg

Are you using lump or charcoal?  Using lump I can max out the thermometer on the dome out easy on my pit boss 22.  Brisquetts dont seem to get near as hot.