Blended processed cheese, aka American Cheese

philpom

Why do this?  It has the characteristics of Velveta but it's real cheese.  It makes a great grilled cheese sandwich and does a burger serious justice.  It's also great mixed in to cooked hot pasta or even just as a snack.

I'll list brands when it matters for exact results but you can play around some with the cheese blends for different flavor profiles.

What you will need:

8 oz extra sharp cheddar (Tillamook reserve extra sharp)

4 oz course grated mozzarella

2/3 cup whole milk

1/4 cup water

1 TB powdered milk

1 1/2 TS unflavored Knox gelatine

1 TS salt

1/8 TS cream of tartar

You will also need a small container lined with plastic wrap to use as a mold.

Method

Finely shred the cheddar and add all of the cheese in to a food processor.  On top add the salt, powdered milk and cream of tartar.  Pulse 4 or 5 times to incorporate.

Put the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin in to the water to blume.  About 5 min.

Put the milk in a small saucepan and slowly bring just to a simmer.  Remove from heat and immediately dump the gelatin in the milk and whisk until smooth.

Move quickly, run the food processor on high and slowly add the milk, continue to process until creamy smooth.  Push down the sides as needed.

Still moving quickly, put the creamed cheese in the mold trying to avoid air bubbles.  Smooth the top, cover and place in the fridge for 3 hours.

It's now ready to use however you want.  

IMG_20170824_140009_01.thumb.jpg.24c6ad2ce892dffddf7386fb7983e23e.jpg

16 hours ago, ckreef said:

Interesting 

Even more interesting when you think about different cheese combinations and then think about adding things like chopped hot peppers, fresh herbs or spices blends.  Bacon cheddar anyone?

Then consider 3 or 4 varieties on a cheese board for a snack or party served with crusty bread or crackers.

We here at the bistro buy the good cheeses.. We have one of those stores here near the house who sells what  we call "Fake" cheeses. So we wait til we get to a big town to buy the "Real" cheese. This would interest me to try. We eat alot of different types of cheese. Wish I had a recipe for a white cheese that has the berries in it.. One of my favorites, but they are so darn expensive.