I've included this video on Smoking a Spatchcock Chicken ..... I smoked it at 225 to 250. You may want to try it a little bit hotter if you want the skin to be crispier. The hotter temp you cook it at, the less moist it will be. I think the next time I'll smoke at about 225-250 until chicken temp gets to about 135 then crank smoker up to 375 or so and give that a try.

1 hour ago, SmoovD said:

I cook my yardbird @ 400F and they are as moist as can be. Kamados maintain great moisture levels. Crank it up if you want crispy skin. Fear not.

I agree. 

Most of my chicken is cooked wherever the grill lands between 350 and 400F.  I go back and forth between raised direct or indirect.  Right now, direct is winning.

Air dry the skin in the fridge for about 4 hours.  Season and go for 400-425˚F you will not believe how moist your bird will be.  I don't cook them under 400 and they drip coming off the grill.

If you want smoke you won't get crispy skin, not hot enough.

fullsizeoutput_366.jpeg

IMG_1303.JPG

Edited by K'man
added photos

I prefer indirect.  I'm not a fan of the greasy smoke from poultry or pork when you cook direct.  I go direct when grilling steaks or burgers.

At those high temps you will get vaporization as soon as the drippings hit but not as bad in my view.

Edited by K'man

When I use to Spatchcock I liked   400*, indirect for about an hour or so. If I don't get crispy skin I consider that chicken cook a fail. I'm also not a fan of Smokey tasting chicken. 

Now that I own a Komodo Kamado rotisserie chicken is the only way I do them. 

I like the flavor of the chicken cooked low and slow, however I think I'd like crispier skin as well. So I'm going to try the low temps then crank the smoker temp up late in the smoke to see if the skin gets crispy. Gotta keep trying new things ...... I'll be sure to post on here the results of the low & slow then cranking temp up late in cook. I look forward to seeing the results myself ..... may be a few days though.

On 2017-08-26 at 1:32 PM, SmokinSteveBBQ said:

I like the flavor of the chicken cooked low and slow, however I think I'd like crispier skin as well. So I'm going to try the low temps then crank the smoker temp up late in the smoke to see if the skin gets crispy. Gotta keep trying new things ...... I'll be sure to post on here the results of the low & slow then cranking temp up late in cook. I look forward to seeing the results myself ..... may be a few days though.

If you are going that way allow maybe 20 minutes of smoke and then crank it.  It doesn't take much smoke to flavour poultry but you'll need the time on the other end for crispy skin.  Sometimes depending on the wood the smoke can get a bit bitter in the transformation of smoulder to fire and when you open up it will be the first part of your fuel to burn.  Just sayn.