BigRed24

Kick Ash Basket - Worth Buying?

Before you buy charcoal buy a KAB . That's all I can say ,got two and it was best investment for my cookers other that my cheap (but works great) TipTop temperature controllers $19.95 specials .

I purchased one recently for my classic Joe and for me it's a game changer. I spend much less time cleaning out the fire bowl and makes the experience much smoother for me. I am planning to get one additionally for my Joe jr.

I picked one up for my Joe Jr recently and I have to say that it is fantastic.  Cleanup is a snap and it breathes much better.

You lose a slight bit of cooking area around the edge and I think I might use a little more charcoal with it, but the jury is still out on that one.

I am a big fan of it and really enjoy how it has transformed my little grill. 

I have both the generation #1 KAB which I used in a Vision and then my Large BGE, and a generation #2 KAB which is much more heavy duty than the original, and sees duty every singal cook in my BGE. I have been on both our forum and the Egg Head forum for some time, and to my recollection  have never seen a negative post about the KAB. Definetly worth the cost IMO,  and without a doubt one of the best and most used accessories I own. I would advise you to just get one, I can't imagine you will be disappointed. The KAB improves air flow and makes cleanup and lump reloading a snap. No brainer, IMO. 

I just bought a used Primo xl at a great deal. Anyways it came with all the accessories made by primo. Anyhow I was looking at the KAB for it. I guess I was hoping it would be a full oval that could still be divided. Are there any other members with a Primo using a KAB? It's clear I dont necessarily need one but will I get the same benefits? To me it looks like the fire grate on the primo might be a more open mesh pattern than other brands. I would really appreciate any input as well. 

If everyone else hasn't sold you, I'll give it a go.  Its pretty difficult to knock off all the ashes of a relatively full firebox of lump without breaking good size pieces into tiny pieces.  This is where, IMO,  you're getting the air flow benefit.  Additionally, I bought a KJ over a BGE because of the ash tray.  The KAB makes it one step easier to keeping your grill clean and cleaning your grill.  Small price to pay in the long run, its definitely worth it.

1 hour ago, Smoque'n said:

I just bought a used Primo xl at a great deal. Anyways it came with all the accessories made by primo. Anyhow I was looking at the KAB for it. I guess I was hoping it would be a full oval that could still be divided. Are there any other members with a Primo using a KAB? It's clear I dont necessarily need one but will I get the same benefits? To me it looks like the fire grate on the primo might be a more open mesh pattern than other brands. I would really appreciate any input as well. 

I'm not sure what I would think of the 1/2 basket for the Primo Oval.  I will start by saying that I loved my 2nd KAB for my Vision so much that I just ordered one over the weekend for the Big Joe.  However, the KAB that I loved, I only ordered earlier this summer.  Prior to them making one specific for the Vision, they had a generic fit one.  That, in my very uneducated opinion, let way too much airflow go around the charcoal instead of through it.  I had issues with my cooks at times that I think were attributed to this (again, just my own conjecture).  The one made for the Vision fit like a glove and was a huge improvement (although more difficult to get ahold of to get in and out lol).  So - with all that said, not sure what I would think of the half basket.  Or even 2 of the half baskets if that is possible to do or not.....  Works great if it fits well - maybe not as great if it doesn't.  

11 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

I'm not sure what I would think of the 1/2 basket for the Primo Oval.  I will start by saying that I loved my 2nd KAB for my Vision so much that I just ordered one over the weekend for the Big Joe.  However, the KAB that I loved, I only ordered earlier this summer.  Prior to them making one specific for the Vision, they had a generic fit one.  That, in my very uneducated opinion, let way too much airflow go around the charcoal instead of through it.  I had issues with my cooks at times that I think were attributed to this (again, just my own conjecture).  The one made for the Vision fit like a glove and was a huge improvement (although more difficult to get ahold of to get in and out lol).  So - with all that said, not sure what I would think of the half basket.  Or even 2 of the half baskets if that is possible to do or not.....  Works great if it fits well - maybe not as great if it doesn't.  

Thanks you can use two in there and still fit the divider. I guess I got to get enough cooks under my belt to decide if the ash is a pain in the ### to deal with 

Just received the Kick Ash Basket for my Pit Boss K22 and it has a nice fit and is Heavy duty. Should last for years. I did remove the original bottom grate which should allow for higher temps. and less ash buildup.

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:42 AM, Tboans said:

I'm seriously considering this for my KJ classic. Or do I wait for the KJ version that hooks to the D&C? 

How long can you wait?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen no mention of the KJ KAB since those videos we've all seen surfaced

I know its meant to be used with the iKamand but that's due in 6 weeks and we've still not seen any additional info about the ash basket

It could still quite a ways away

Besides, I cant think of a practical reason why having the KAB being able to attached to the DnC would be useful

The only time you really remove the KAB is to shake the ash out of it, and you're not going to do that with the DnC in place

22 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

How long can you wait?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen no mention of the KJ KAB since those videos we've all seen surfaced

I know its meant to be used with the iKamand but that's due in 6 weeks and we've still not seen any additional info about the ash basket

It could still quite a ways away

Besides, I cant think of a practical reason why having the KAB being able to attached to the DnC would be useful

The only time you really remove the KAB is to shake the ash out of it, and you're not going to do that with the DnC in place

I've seen no mention either which is why I asked. Pulling it all out together doesn't really help much I guess but may make it more convenient to do it in 1 motion. I'm hoping to see if KJ would come in cheaper.  But I think I'm going to pull the trigger. . Too bad my father in law retired from the machine shop. He would have easily built one for me.