Lowe's charcoal sale this weekend......

Dub

Lowe's  is where I grabbed this, but I understand Home Depot is running a similar deal.

$9.98 for a pair of 18.6 lb bags.

Some people turn their nose up at Kingsford, but I love it.   It never fails to bring back great memories of grilling with my Granddad and cousins.  I'll have fun running this in my Weber's.

zYNluxe.jpg

Five mile round trip.  

446.4 lbs of KBB should hold me for a while.

Tip for those shopping.....also check the lumber area....the pallet they had staged there had no "limit 2 per customer" like the pallets elsewhere in the store........and the handy wheeled lumber carts are close at hand......

@Dub

You can run it in your kamado also as long as you dont mind cleaning it out after a long cook.  That stuff burns forever in a kamado grill.  I ran a test a couple years ago and think I ran my Classic for about 30 hours before the temp started falling...

9 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@Dub

You can run it in your kamado also as long as you dont mind cleaning it out after a long cook.  That stuff burns forever in a kamado grill.  I ran a test a couple years ago and think I ran my Classic for about 30 hours before the temp started falling...

Yup.   I've run it in kamado grills on chicken, burger and steak cooks.  All went well.

30 hour runtime is outstanding.  I'm guessing you were in the 225 range ?

I'm very, very low on lump right now and need to call around and see what on sale and where....otherwise this KBB is going to see some kamado action sooner than later. :) 

@John Setzler

I was curious as to what you said (I often wonder about using briquettes ); here's your report from that test in 2014:

I'm calling this test done.  At the 27.5 hour mark the fan on the Guru was running constantly and the temp had fallen off about 5 degrees from where it had been holding steadily.  

OBSERVATIONS:
There is a LOT of ash in the grill and a fair amount of unburned charcoal briquettes.  I estimate that I put about 14 to 15 pounds of briquettes in the kamado to start this test.  I estimate that there are about 3-4 pounds of unburned briquettes still in the grill.  The grill ran at an acceptable temperature for at least 27.5 hours at 250 degrees and could have continued for an unknown amount of time while staying above the 225 degree mark.  

CONCLUSION:
The Kingsford Blue charcoal is perfectly capable of running a long low and slow cook on a kamado grill.  While conventional 'wisdom' tells us that there will be too much ash produced for this to be possible, the observations show that to be invalid.  

PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE:
I don't intend to change from hardwood lump to Kingsford Blue for use in my Kamado grills.  I'd rather not have to clean up all that ash after each cook.  My personal experience also shows me that reusing Kingsford briquettes that have been through one burn cycle already can produce less than desirable results.  That leftover charcoal can be reignited and used again, but the burn time on it will be significantly lower than a new briquette that has not been in the grill already.  In other words, I don't recommend reusing leftover Kingsford.  You may find yourself adding charcoal in the middle of a cook when you simply don't want to do that.  

Kamado owners tend to prefer lump charcoal for a host of reasons and they will also talk poorly about off flavors produced by briquette charcoal that doesn't happen with lump charcoal.  I have several comments about that based on a lot of experience in cooking with both types of charcoal.  On my ugly drum smoker, I have made long cooks with Kingsford and with hardwood lump charcoal.  In the resulting food that comes off those cooks, I can not tell a difference in the flavor of the meat.  If your meat tastes like charcoal for some reason, the seasonings, rubs, injections, and sauces you are enhancing your meat with may be simply ineffective.  The charcoal should not be overpowering these other flavor profiles you are adding directly to the meat.  If you are using wood chunks or chips for smoke on these cooks, that should also go much further towards imparting flavor and aroma than any charcoal itself might do.  When you have a clean burning fire, whether it be briquettes or hardwood lump, there should be no significantly visible smoke or aroma coming from that fire.  While that smoke is not visible, it still exists and will impart flavor and aroma to your meat.  

RECOMMENDATION:
The RIGHT choice to make when it comes to anything related to cooking is the choice that makes you HAPPY :)  Don't wanna use Kingsford?  Use your favorite lump charcoal.  Don't wanna use lump?  Use your favorite brand of briquettes.  

queue music... 'it's the most wonderful time of the year"..... ok Memorial Day, Labor Day, and July 4th,  the best holidays for charcoal purchases usually 50% off.  i've switched to hardwood lump since going to a kamado, so the sales dont show up as often.