Joe tisserie failure

Jeffclk

I have used my big Joe tisserie many times with no problems.  Today I was attempting to rotisserie a 12 lb turkey.  It started out fine.  About 45 minutes into the cook, I checked on the cook and the rotisserie was only turning 1\2 way then going back 1\2, never completely turning over.  I took the turkey off the spit and checked to see if the rotisserie made a complete rotation without the turkey and it worked fine.  I put the turkey back on the spit and the same thing happened - no complete revolution - just a half turn then a half turn the other way.  I can assume that the weight of the turkey caused this.

As this was a small turkey, something is wrong with the rotisserie.  I have already contacted Kamado Joe to let them know. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The Joe tisserie is a great product, but a 12 lb turkey should not be a problem.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

If I had to guess (from the relatively low price and what a friend with a joetisserie reported to me) they supplied a motor with normal gears. Higher end rotisserie motors have anti backlash gears that won't let the weight of the meat move the gears in reverse. Without anti backlash gears you can experience "skipping", which sounds like you have.  Also the cheaper motor is probably wearing out. Rotisserie motors without anti backlash gears have a much harder time with unbalanced loads like you probably get with a turkey. 

My cheapie Blackstone Pizza Oven rotisserie motor just bit the bullet. No worries I swapped it out with my other One Grill high end rotisserie motor. 

Probably isn't any comfort but with rotisserie motors you get what you pay for so to speak. 

I recently had my second rotisserie motor fail on my Blackstone pizza oven. FWIW metal gears can strip out just like plastic gears depending on what they are made of.

My guess is that when it falls backward the gear is missing teeth and then the area with teeth comes around. I now have the 50 pound rated One Grill motor. Time will tell.

6 hours ago, Marty said:

I now have the 50 pound rated One Grill motor. Time will tell.

I have the One Grill motor model 4pm05. Is that the motor you have? If I remember it's rated at 50 lbs balanced and 35 lbs unbalanced. Also has anti backlash gears. 

5 hours ago, ckreef said:

I have the One Grill motor model 4pm05. Is that the motor you have? If I remember it's rated at 50 lbs balanced and 35 lbs unbalanced. Also has anti backlash gears. 

Not sure they have a 50 pound motor 13 watt motor and a Heavy Duty motor that can handle  85 pounds unbalanced or 100 pounds balanced which runs $145. They only have the two for the upper end product.  I do think both have the anti back lash gears. I did have a Grand Hall all metal gear rotisserie fail.  Got noisy and eventually stopped spinning.

5 hours ago, Marty said:

Not sure they have a 50 pound motor 13 watt motor and a Heavy Duty motor that can handle  85 pounds unbalanced or 100 pounds balanced which runs $145. They only have the two for the upper end product.  I do think both have the anti back lash gears. I did have a Grand Hall all metal gear rotisserie fail.  Got noisy and eventually stopped spinning.

Yes we have the same motor. For anybody else reading this it's from One Grill dot come model 4pm05. Stainless steel housing. 

If I remember correctly it's about $65

• 3 weeks later...

Also consider an adjustable counter weight on a rotisserie to balance certain foods to reduce motor strain especial with something like a turkey. 

One like this,  for example...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JWFBNI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza 

Search around on the web for additional info.  

On September 5, 2017 at 3:18 AM, ckreef said:

Yes we have the same motor. For anybody else reading this it's from One Grill dot come model 4pm05. Stainless steel housing. 

If I remember correctly it's about $65

I got the same one for my Blackstone (probably on CK's advice way back when).  Amazon has them listed at $70, but priced with Prime shipping for $50...  Heckuvadeal for a workhorse like that...

https://www.amazon.com/OneGrill-Universal-Replacement-Stainless-Rotisserie/dp/B0043C5ZDI/ref=pd_sim_86_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0043C5ZDI&pd_rd_r=JCW3CEY7XS62PCJAX1EC&pd_rd_w=2FZua&pd_rd_wg=Q7sEY&psc=1&refRID=JCW3CEY7XS62PCJAX1EC

On 9/21/2017 at 4:41 PM, JayhawkPharmer said:

I got the same one for my Blackstone (probably on CK's advice way back when).  Amazon has them listed at $70, but priced with Prime shipping for $50...  Heckuvadeal for a workhorse like that...

https://www.amazon.com/OneGrill-Universal-Replacement-Stainless-Rotisserie/dp/B0043C5ZDI/ref=pd_sim_86_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0043C5ZDI&pd_rd_r=JCW3CEY7XS62PCJAX1EC&pd_rd_w=2FZua&pd_rd_wg=Q7sEY&psc=1&refRID=JCW3CEY7XS62PCJAX1EC

It doesn't look like the bracket will fit the Joetisserie

18 hours ago, John421 said:

It doesn't look like the bracket will fit the Joetisserie

That has standard rotisserie mount flanges. I seriously doubt KJ custom made rotisserie motors when there are so many available for wholesale purchase. 

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

That has standard rotisserie mount flanges. I seriously doubt KJ custom made rotisserie motors when there are so many available for wholesale purchase. 

3 x the torque of the original:   http://www.onegrill.com/Stainless_Electric_Grill_Rotisserie_Spit_Rod_Motor_p/4pm05.htm

The Mack Daddy: http://www.onegrill.com/Heavy_Duty_Electric_Rotisserie_Spit_Rod_Motor_p/4pm08.htm

1 hour ago, John421 said:

Unless you had a really huge kamado - say the 42" Komodo Kamado - you would never need "The Mack Daddy" - just sayin......