Whole Beef Round Tip Roast 

I cook these periodically and it was once again time for a good roast beef fix. This makes for a low maintenance and great beef cook from a cheaper piece of meat.  The roast beef sliced thin is great on its own or on sandwiches.  Works well for leftovers or as a base ingredient for other recipes (cheese steak sammies, chopped for tacos, cut into fajita strips, processed in a deviled meat spread,  etc) and freezes nicely.  

Note that the beef round tip roast (cap off)  is often in the meat case placed next to the 'more expensive'  sirloin tip roast  (profit differentiated by as much as $2 a lb perhaps with additional in-house trimming) - which is practically speaking the same cut.  I find the round tip  just as good as the (generally) more expensive same cut purveyed as a sirloin tip round portion even if one has to do more trim out on the round tip.   So either one works - go with the best value.  I would recommend at least a Choice grade if roasting.  

59ae65887c0c0_1-RoundTipRoastDinner.thumb.jpg.e60efc45ac1a01e110ac440ad43ae39d.jpg

59ae658ae4989_2-NiceSlices.thumb.jpg.735e8ee76973047fb42d4996da2ba348.jpg

59ae658f11b35_4-AlmostDone.thumb.jpg.5d9ad8736323b2deb06f5f453e28714c.jpg

This beef round tip roast trimmed out to right at 10 lbs after removing the fat, heavy connective tissue, sliver skin and such.  Trim out is about  15 minute process with a good knife.  i pick through the trim and save the best parts for use in sausage making.  With these roasts figure up to about 1.5 lbs of trimming waste.  This cut is often recommend as a pot roast in a slow braise to get it tender.  That is not necessary if it is roasted the right way.

Part of my secret is to heavily inject the meat with a flavoring solution.   I call it internal braising.  Injected this time with 1.5 cups (12 oz) of my Smokehowze seasoned beef based mixture I normally use.  I find about a 7 to 10 % injection ratio by meat weight works well.   

Smokehowze’s  Roast Beef Injection 

• 1-1/2 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons “Better Than Bouillon” beef base
  • 1 teaspoon "Lea and Perrins" Worcestershire
  • 2 Tablespoons powdered garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fine ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Steens cane syrup (or equivalent)

Heat mixture together to meld flavors and cool in fridge before injecting.

The injected round is refrigerated overnight along with an exterior base coat of yellow mustard and an overcoat of Montreal Steak seasoning.  Optionally inject, add rub and put right in the cooker and it will still be really good.  Indirect on Big Joe at 250 to 260 degrees for right at 4 hours to an internal of 138 gets a perfect result.  This cut of meat soaks up smoke like a sponge and can get smokey bitter/acrid.  Make sure your fire is well stabilized and burning very cleanly.  Any goofiness in your charcoal or combustion because you rush the fire and start the cook before getting it stabilized and you will notice it.   From experience, I do not add any smoking wood pieces to the cook.  Just the lump is all that is required and will itself produce a very deep 'smoke ring'  as you can see in the lead photo.  Maybe, just maybe, a very small piece of cherry or pecan at the onset of the cook to just kiss the meat with a hint of smoke.   

Remove and foil wrap for 30 minutes to set the meat for slicing and collect the au-jus.  If you have a slicer doing shaved beef is no problem just add additional cooling time before slicing.  Otherwise just slice thin by hand. Tender and tasty when cooked and eaten this way.  It must be cooked rare to medium rare.  At the Smokehowze estate I have learned the 138 internal temp on this type roast balances the preferences among the family. 

59ae659116dce_5-InjectedWetRubbed.thumb.jpg.5a281a7cdef23326b4fccaad111d008a.jpg

Some beautiful white skinned potatoes that Mrs. Smokehowze came home with were cooked on Joe Classic at 350 degrees direct with maximum distance between coals and grill grate.  I was using the Classic for another parallel cook and had it available for the taters - which I wanted to try, using a direct heat grilling roasting, anyway.  About halfway thought the potatoes cook in rubbed them with oil after starting them on their way with the skin just wet from a rinse off.    The skewers were used near the end of the cook to allow the sides of the potatoes to crisp a bit.    Otherwise, just bake them along with the roast.

59ae658d0c459_3-RoastedTaters.thumb.jpg.2553fd3ddfd81c75c9e486d09c16557b.jpg

Enjoy!