• Similar Content

• By NVRider
      I have a smokin stone for my AKORN Kamado, but wanted one for my AKORN Jr.. I found that not only are they scarce, but pricey too. From searches on the forums I did not really see a good solution, so I gave it a try myself to come up with one. Here is what I got:
      Wally World has Lodge 10.5 inch griddles for $14.88.

Once out to the shop I cut the handle off. Just eye balled the cut off point to fit on the shelf in the cooker.

Went to the grinding wheel to eliminate the rough surfaces and then drilled holes in the handle and handle lip to hold the bolt, nut and lock washer.

Fit nicely in the cooker and was very stable.

You can remove the deflector with BBQ gloves or use the grill handle which fits nicely in the slot of the griddle handle.

Fired up the grill and seem to work just fine with some salmon fillets I did. 

• By HokieOC
      Second week with the new KJ Classic, after failing to get pictures of my first two cooks I remembered this time (albeit halfway through my steak on Sunday as you can see).

The reverse sear worked out AMAZINGLY on a ~1.5 lb sirloin.  I know, not using bone-in steaks is blasphemy to some but my wife prefers the boneless and preferences aside she was steering me away from the $16/lb ribeyes I had my eye on.  Still was by far the best steak I've ever had off a grill, much less made myself.

The pizza turned out okay, but I think I needed to roll the dough thinner and couldn't get the grill above 500, which after 90 minutes of a hungry family waiting made me accept a slightly longer cook time and not quite authentic wood oven pizza at about 475*.

On that topic, for the pizza the grill got up to 490 and stalled, then started dropping.  I panicked when it hit 475 as it'd already been a LONG time heating up and just put the pizza on.  For the reverse sear, again it took awhile and seemed to stall around 500*, I was going for 550 but just threw them on to get them done.  I think maybe I'm not using enough lump, as that's the only variable I can think of to keep it from getting roaring up quickly and over 500/550*.  Is it absolutely necessary to have a lot of charcoal in there to get the temp up faster and higher?  I guess I was thinking since both were shorter cooks I didn't need to load up, but next time I'll try a full firebox.

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      I finally was able to make my very first sourdough thin crust pizza.   I really like the crispness and flavour.    First time I ever tried Friuano cheese. 

• By cybirr
      Hi,

I just bought a woo ring and stone for indirect cooking (Vision S Kamado).  Did a test burn to see what temps were like.  I absolutely nailed 400F.  So hard I couldn't get it to cool to my target 350F at all.

With lower dampers, one barely cracked and the other closed I couldn't get anything less than 400F.  My questions.

How much affect does the upper dome vent have on temp control?  To smother the fire I close all vents in my attempt to lower the temp.  But normally wouldn't I want the vent fully open otherwise to vent excess smoke?

With the lower dampers closed the fire does die off and temps lower.  But with it even just cracked open temps rise quickly back to 400F.  What techniques would work to better control the temp?

My direct cooks have been great.  I just want to expand the repertoire and am looking for guidance on this.

Thank you.
    • By philpom
      Mrs philpom said, "how about pizza tonight?" and I said, "sure!".
      Whipped up a batch of my go to bread machine dough and here they are.  I did three large, two pepperoni w/black olives and one onion, bell pepper, pepper flakes and bacon crumbs.

Let's see the process!  
      I roll them all in advance and stack between parchment paper.  They get a second rise just before I bake them.

I paint the sauce on with a silicon baster brush.

Next for me is always the pepperoni.

Whole olives give it appeal.

Mozzarella, plenty of it.

Just a touch of cheddar for character (only ever on a pepperoni pizza)

Got the primo preheated and ready to go, game time!

And the adult treat!  OK, it received a little character also.

It had been awhile since my last pizza cook, good times, good stuff!
      No, I don;t think I will ever get tire of it.