Sign in to follow this  
BigSmoke

Lamb Barbacoa with Pico De Gallo & Mexican Street Corn

A month or so ago I found this fantastic authentic Mexican place in Toronto, the smell as I first walked in immediately confirmed that I was in the right place. Very little English was spoken, it took a while before anyone understood my request. "It smells amazing, I have money, just bring me food". The Lamb Barbacoa had to have been the best I’ve ever had. Not that I needed the excuse but I thought the long weekend would be a great time to give it a shot myself.

I started with a 10lb Lamb shoulder (Bone-In), trimmed to approx. 9.5lbs.

I built my adobo marinade using Guajillo chilies that I de-stemmed and toasted. I gave the shoulder a good rub with a generous amount of paste and allowed it marinate over night in the fridge.

I fired up the Kamado early Saturday morning. While coming up to temp, I wrapped the shoulder in Banana leaves and placed it in a roasting pan with some braising liquid.

I pulled the shoulder at 198 – 207 degrees IT (until the probe went in like butter). The cook lasted approx. 5 ½ hours @ 285 – 300 degrees.

After 2 hours of rest in the covered roasting pan, the lamb shoulder was pulled and served with fresh tortillas, pico de gallo, a galic lime crema and Mexican street corn.

The Corn was soaked in water for 4 hours and steamed in the husk for 30mins, allowed to rest for 15 mins, de-silked, buttered and back on the Kamado before being dressed with El Salvadorian Crema, Cotija Cheese, Smoked Paprika, Lime, Salt and Cilantro

Next to the tacos the corn was the BOMB!

IMG_0223.thumb.JPG.10dafa36c9fcb493c9a42dbcebe188a1.JPG

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.4193c048356becbb8c73cfa2cc5a1779.JPG

IMG_0252.thumb.JPG.f0fc604c0c16bf9656a84063f6798fc5.JPG

IMG_0227.thumb.JPG.8f46738ce398dfa4a665250f5e3c1149.JPG

IMG_0224.thumb.JPG.b2921ecd9d005c53909550f8376dd1c2.JPG

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:39 PM, King19 said:

Looks amazing esp the corn

Not a traditional barbacoa but delicious looking

Thanks!

Lamb is actually a staple in Central Mexican Barbacoa. Although traditionally it is cooked in a covered pit I decided to give it a shot on the KJ. Turned out wonderfully

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      Who among us doesn’t love munching on the carrots and jalapeños they serve you at a Mexican restaurant? I know I do but I’ve never tried making them myself so here is my first attempt at doing this.

Here are the Ingredients:

2 lbs. Sliced Carrots
      1 Sliced Onion
      2 ea. 7 oz. cans of Sliced Jalapeños (I used 1 12 oz. can)
      1 sliced Bell Pepper
      4 cloves of Garlic Sliced
      2 cups Water
      1 1/2 tsp. Salt
      1 cup White Vinegar
      1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
      1/8 cup Veg. Oil
      1 tbsp. Oregano
      4 Bay Leaves

Instructions: Add water, oil and salt to a large sauté pan or small stock pot and bring to a boil. Add the carrots and let cook for 5 minutes. Now add the vinegar's, sliced onions, bell pepper, jalapeños, garlic, oregano and bay leaves and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the veggies to 1 qt. canning jars. Pour the hot liquid over the veggies until covered. Clean the rim and cap the jars and let cool. Place in the fridge once cool. Carrots should be good for 3 to 4 weeks.

Adjust the time to suit your taste on how you like your carrots. More time if you like them softer or less time if you like them crunchier.  5 minutes give you fairly soft carrots but not mushy.

Makes 3 quarts.

I put the bay leaves on the top so I can fish them out later.

Tried them this morning and they are really good.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By manoloparrilla
      Ingredients:

-Beef Shank

-Beef Neck

-Maguey Sheet

-Salt to taste

-Water

You need a pot with a lid.

Directions:

Fill a quarter of the pot with water, then put your beef and the maguey sheet inside the pot, salt to taste and cover your pot with a lid. 

Cooking temperature 300F-200F 8-5 hours...... 150C-100C 8-5 horas

200F- 8 hours (Better results)
      300F- 5 hours

Buen Provecho!!! ,,,,,   :-)
    • By thegratefulgriller
      Hey Grillers, 

I just found this wickedly cool BBQ Bible made by a company in Brazil. Only a few of them were made for master Barbecue chefs and a simpler version will be available in Brazilian stores only. There's a link to the video on my blog http://www.gratefulgriller.com/2014/05/08/the-bbq-bible-is-here/

I am soooo hoping they make this available outside Brazil!

Feed your fires!
      G