Picked up a PartyQ for the K24

jadocs

I've had great success with long smokes with my K24 and iGrill to monitor grate and meat temps. The iGrill allowed me to wirelessly monitor temps and make small adjustments to prevent swings and maintain that perfect range. Last week I attempted my second overnighter after the temps settled at 250 and woke up to 180 degree grate temp. The butt and brisket still turned out fantastic, it just took a little longer than it should because I had to bring the temp back up. As a result, I decided to pick up a PartyQ from BBQ Guru for those overnight occasions.  I didn't see the need to get the more expensive options (models) since I already have the iGrill to monitor meat temps (wirelessly), and I really don't need the automatic lid opening detection since I can just shut it off when I open to baste the meat.

I've done a lot of reading on the idiosyncrasies of its use and think this will definitely be the ticket.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.  Anyone else here use the PartyQ on their Pit Boss?

I don't use the Party Q, but I do use a controller (Heatermeter) on most cooks.  With the fan, it comes up to temp faster and with no worry of an overshoot, and it allows me to worry about other things.  It is almost like using an oven, light a fire, set the temp, give it a few minutes to pre-heat and start cooking.

1 hour ago, Brickbat said:

Does it have a K24 specific adapter for the lower vent?

Yes, they have K22 and K24 specific adapters.

https://bbqguru.com/StoreNav/GuruCookerGuide?ProductId=0&ProductId=0&DeviceModelId=211

https://bbqguru.com/StoreNav/GuruCookerGuide?ProductId=0&ProductId=0&DeviceModelId=212

It;s a nice set-up and if your looking in a set it and forget it I can see the benefit.

After owning my K24 for about 9 months I don't see a need to add in a temp control device. I can dial things in using the OEM vents and get very steady results for all temp levels. I do set a 2 probe remote thermometer with alarms set on the grill temp but even for overnight L&S smokes I rarely need to get up to adjust anything.

The biggest thing I've found to help keep temps consistent is to get the firebox clean of ash pre-cook and then start with a full load of lump at the beginning of the cook. HTH

Concur all, I'm good at doing it analog as well.

This pork butt was done last night without the PartyQ...I cook at 250, but when I went to bed i wanted to get 6 hours without having to get up and check/tweak vents. Now keep in mind my temp was steady between 250-255 for several hours. Knowing my cooker, I knew if I set it to 275 before hitting the hay it (temp) would drop over 6 hours. Sure enough, when I woke up and checked my temp it was sitting right at 250. In other words it dropped 25 deg just like I knew it would. Now I could have set alarms and kept it at 250, but I did not feel like getting up. 

Having said all of that, I'm using it right now for the first time doing a brisket. Let me tell you, I should have purchased this a long time ago. I will concede that one should learn their cooker first and be able to control it manually...but this PartyQ makes it too easy. I used it to bring the cooker up to temp and then it automatically maintained the set temp. Now I don't need to use a workaround by setting my temp a little higher if I plan on getting a good nights sleep. I can set it where I want it and forget it. I'm really happy with this purchase. 

IMG_3933.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3934.PNG

• 1 month later...

I used the PartyQ yesterday on my K22 to do a test run on a turkey.  It worked great!  Except I came down and the temp on the PartyQ was 425 when I had it set at 300.  The dome was still reading around 315ish, so I just moved the probe and it was reading better.

I have a partyQ that I use with my Pittboss, and I think I paid more last year.  I have the same adapter for inserting the fan onto the lower, sliding air vent, but it was previously marketed as a general adapter that includes a sliable edge so the adapter can be used on numerous types of kamados.   So you can use this unit on other grills if you get rid of your pitt boss.  Anyway, I like it for longer, low temperature cooks.  A couple of things I learned:

(1) the fan unit eats batteries.  I basically have to use a new set of 4 AA batteries for every cook.  The fan still works after 4/5 hours but starts to show a low battery warning, which is weird because I have used the fan for 12 hour+ cooks.  

(2) the unit is good at holding a temperature, but the pitt boss is sufficiently leaky that the partyQ cannot cool down internal temperatures if you start too hot.  I had trouble holding 225.  So you have to be careful to light a single spot and let the partyQ work to provide air to warm up the coals.  I have been playing with closing the top vent to see if that will help limit unintended air to the coals.  I have not down any high temperature cooks with the PartyQ, so I do not know if it can help hold a high temperature for cooking pizza or grilling.  

(3) readings of the temperature probe can vary a lot depending on where you install the probe in the grill, but seems accurate.   So I move the meat around, but every time you open the top and introduce fresh air, the temperature goes up a lot.  

(4) happily, the unit seems to hold up in a light rain without any condensation is on my display.

(5) my temperature probe is starting the get gross from contact with BBQ sauce and smoke.  The temperature is still accurately sensed, but I worry that the probe will stop working if I get too much crud on it.   I may get a replacement probe soon for $22.  

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn’t do any high temp cooks with the Q unless you remove the probe from the Kamado or you might kill it. I forget what the probe is rated at. 

Anyway the Q has been flawless for me. You have to make sure your PB is fully sealed, and sealed properly. If you haven’t sealed your PB you will get fluctuations in temp (top and bottom vent). 

You also need need to figure out how much the top vent needs to be cracked open. Too much and your temp may creep up too high. I’ll keep the vent open until I get about 40-50 degrees from target, then I shut it down halfway between 0 and 1 (sometimes it’s less than that).  You want it where every once in a while the fan gives it a little puff to maintain temp.