Tboans

Cast iron half moon

I recently picked up a cast iron half moon for the classic. Does it need to be seasoned? If so, what's the  best way?  Oil it up and put in the oven or the joe for 60 minutes at 350? 

I agree with BBQBoss.  Do that, you can't go wrong.  You will absolutely love this griddle, I think it is the best accessory I own.  Vegetables, breakfast, toasted cheese sandwiches, all take on new life with cast iron on the Joe.

I sprayed it with some oil and let it heat slowly. Then did some smashburgers.  They had the best crust. So now the cleaning.  What's best just some warm water and scrape everything off?  Then a thin coat of oil? 

I'm a bit torn on getting the CI or using my CI pans. They have worked well so far so I think I will wait until I run into a situation that the CI pans can't handle. Plus is I can use them in the house too.

I got a CI half moon for Christmas; any good recipes for it? I've seared my steaks on it so far, which has been great, but I'm looking to try some other things with it (no seafood though, as I'm allergic). I have to say I'm loving my KJ; I bought it almost a year ago now and can't imagine cooking without it. I've now got the CI half moon, Joetisserie and the grill expander. All great accessories.

the best way to season cast iron is to use it.... a lot.

initial seasoning - thin coat of oil, heat to 450, maintain for about an hour, cool down. repeat as necessary.

there are lots of opinions on oil for seasoning. i think high smoke point is important.

excessive heat will burn off the seasoning.