• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Polar Bear

Do any/all KJ Classic owners wish theyd gotten the BJ?

When I started looking at a Kamado 6 months ago, I was more or less set on the Classic. About a week after making that decision I found this place and then figured "If I'm spending $2k (aud) on a big grill, I may as well spend $3k (aud) and get a really big grill"

In the time between when I decided I'd be saving a little longer and eventually picking up the grill the thing I heard a lot was people lamenting "man, I wish I'd gotten the BJ"

It sorta got me wondering if all Classic owners (well, at least the ones that aren't restricted by the size of their patio) wish they'd gotten the BJ or do the majority of them find the Classic the perfect size for their needs?

Full disclosure, 6 weeks after taking delivery of my BJ, I'm already looking at a Joe Jnr or BGE Mini Max for a little more flexibility/versatility

I have all three grills.  Most people will tell you that bigger is better and that its better to have more than you need rather than find yourself wishing younhad a bigger grill.  Having extensive experience on all three grills, if i could only have one, it would be the classic rather than the big joe.  I dont cook huge amounts of food often enough to justify the big joe.  I would definitely NOT want to fire up the big joe for most of the smaller cooks i do.  It takes longer to heat it up and stabilize it and it also uses more charcoal in the process.  If i was making this decision, i would base it onnhow often i thought i would need that much space.  If i needed it over 50% of the time the. I would buy it. If i needed it less than that, i would employ workarounds to get the job done on a classic.

I have a Classic and a Jr. Of course I dream about getting a Big Joe eventually, simply because I don't have one.  We are empty nesters but cook for others quite often. That said, for the cooking I currently do, the Classic is more than sufficient. But, I also have a number of other grills that I cook on as well when I need more grill area.  

Yeah, I'm in the I wish I had a Big Joe camp instead of the classic.  I had zero Kamado experience when I bought my Classic and minimal smoking experience.  The versatility is what sold me along with the amazing food off of a co-workers BGE.  If I had to do it all over again I would have hit the demo deal at costco and gotten the Jr and Big Joe.  With the family growing I'm going to need a bigger grill (pushing the limits periodically now) and I told myself I would sell the classic and get the big joe if I needed it.  Problem is, I'll never sell my classic now.  I'm a minimalist but I'll add Kamados before I get rid of any.  So I'll end up with the trifecta when its all said and done at some point as a result of the demo deal but if that didn't exist, I'd grab a Big Joe.

Got my retired Akorn, and if it had a brain, it would be eager to be pressed into service. AKA Wizard of OZ.

If I do I, it needs to be soon as I am losing the feel I used to have for the old steel clad cooking buddy and how I could make it "sing".

Still trolling for someone in the Nashville area  to trade it for a case of beer. Perfect Kamado for someone not sure about starting  Kamado cooking and not wanting to outlay too much money. -yes I could sell it but I am the classic looking for a good owner.

M.

30 minutes ago, mike echo said:

Got my retired Akorn, and if it had a brain, it would be eager to be pressed into service. AKA Wizard of OZ.

If I do I, it needs to be soon as I am losing the feel I used to have for the old steel clad cooking buddy and how I could make it "sing".

Still trolling for someone in the Nashville area  to trade it for a case of beer. Perfect Kamado for someone not sure about starting  Kamado cooking and not wanting to outlay too much money. -yes I could sell it but I am the classic looking for a good owner.

M.

I can't believe nobody has taken you up on this trade. If I was local I would have delivered the case of beer the moment you mentioned it. 

And I don't even need a Akorn but I'm sure somebody I know would have loved it. 

I now have all three sizes, and can say the bigjoe gets the least use.  When I started my Kamado purchasing fun, life was very different. I was cooking one big meal on the weekend and making enough leftovers for the week.  Now, life is different and the jr and classic get the most use depending on the task. 

I dont regret tweet and of it.  

I don't own KJ's but I do own 3 kamados. For a two person family I use the two smaller ones way more than the bigger one. And my new propane griddle is taking over for quick weeknight cooks. 

I own the Classic and the Jr. Since that is plenty of grilling space (even for a family of 7), the only reason I'd want the Big Joe is as a smoker for full racks of ribs and brisket. That much money was hard for me to justify for a smoker.

So I bought a 22-inch Weber Smokey Mountain. Don't grill on it and don't need to but the space is really nice for smoking, especially with the dual grates. In fact, in many ways I think it's a better smoker than the kamados.

I have all 3 and love them all and the Big Joe gets most of the work, the Classic is a close second and the Jr. is for camping. If I was only get one it would definitely be the Big Joe, The biggest reason is because most of my cooks are 2 zone which pretty much cuts your cooking area in half 

I bought a BJ and do not regret it one bit. I started with an Akorn but when I decided to go ceramic I could not justify going down in size (from a 19" grate to 18"). The majority of my cooks are also dual zone so once you split the Classic in half it does not leave a lot of room to work with. I am typically cooking for 3 adults and two growing girls and find I have enough space. If I would have went with a Classic I would have regretted not getting the BJ for my cooking style.    

I'm not in the "Joe" camp (I have a keg) but it's the same size as the classic.

I REALLY REALLY wish there was more in intermediate options (21" or so) as there are quite a few times 18" is just not enough, but I would almost never need the "big" either.  

The Blaze Kamado really is on my radar, as is the 21" Komodo Kamado (but that is a serious $$ upgrade).  The Primo oval shape also has some potential as well.

I started with the Akorn, and now I have the Big Joe.  I don't regret it for a second.  

I like to entertain.  So if it's just our family I'm cooking for 5.  If we invite friends or family it's up to 30 people.  

I would say, believe it or not, that I use an extension to get a second tier as often as I use it with just the standard grates.  

I have a 14" WSM if I need to just do something small.  I have a $20 Brinkmann electric if I want the 7 year old to do the work for me.  I have a 22" kettle if I'm just cooking burgers.  I have a new OKJ Bandera stick burner if I don't want charcoal.  But the Big Joe is absolutely the smoker I use most often.  

You can divide the charcoal box with the included divider if you want, but I literally used that once and probably will never bother with it again.  If I'm just doing a reverse sear steak, I don't worry if the temperature is perfectly stable.  If I am going to cook a 16 hour brisket I don't mind that it takes 45 minutes to an hour to settle in.  

My friend has the classic, and he wishes he had the Big Joe.  I have another friend with the large BGE and he is also jealous of the Big Joe.  If you only have one, I would go with the Big Joe.  

I just picked up a BJ last week and iI love it. I made the right call, my neighbor has a BGE regular size and he says it would be fine for me but he's a douche and didn't want me to get anything better than his. Anyways, we're a family of 5 almost 6 in Dec. so that was my decision. I did burgers for the first cook and I raked the coals to one side and it worked great. 

question, does anyone know where I can get the feet for stand alone? I'm building a table and the feet are way nicer looking than a block of stone.

Thanks,

JB