• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Polar Bear

Do any/all KJ Classic owners wish theyd gotten the BJ?

Sometimes I wish I had the BJ but opted for 2 Classics and a Jr.  I find myself actually using the Jr a lot when making small meals. When friends/family come over, definitely use at least 2. 

On 17/09/2017 at 1:28 PM, Polar Bear said:

"man, I wish I'd gotten the BJ"

lol if I had a buck for every time...

but *ahem* bringing this back to kamado''s, I've got a CJ and if I had my time over (and more $$) I'd get the BJ.  The CJ is great for most things, but there have been a few times where a bit more real estate would have been useful.  Momma needs room to breathe.

59 minutes ago, KamadoJosephine said:

lol if I had a buck for every time...

but *ahem* bringing this back to kamado''s, I've got a CJ and if I had my time over (and more $$) I'd get the BJ.  The CJ is great for most things, but there have been a few times where a bit more real estate would have been useful.  Momma needs room to breathe.

I was waiting for the comment and I should have known Josephine would be the one to make it.  You never disappoint!!  :rofl:

On 9/26/2017 at 1:27 PM, Jbrown83 said:

I just picked up a BJ last week and iI love it. I made the right call, my neighbor has a BGE regular size and he says it would be fine for me but he's a douche and didn't want me to get anything better than his. Anyways, we're a family of 5 almost 6 in Dec. so that was my decision. I did burgers for the first cook and I raked the coals to one side and it worked great. 

question, does anyone know where I can get the feet for stand alone? I'm building a table and the feet are way nicer looking than a block of stone.

Thanks,

JB

I think you can call KJ and order some or maybe a local dealer.  I'd start there.

I have the Classic and Junior. With these combined I have no need for the Big Joe. I can fire both up at the same time and cook extra when needed but most often find myself firing the Junior. The good thing about 2 grills is that you can cook at 2 different temps at the same time and have the whole meal ready at the same time.

I have a KJ classic and a (non KJ) Junior size kamado. The Classic is usually fired up once a week and the smaller one twice a week. Never had the need for anything larger.

On 9/25/2017 at 12:08 PM, JaxxQ said:

I have all 3 and love them all and the Big Joe gets most of the work, the Classic is a close second and the Jr. is for camping. If I was only get one it would definitely be the Big Joe, The biggest reason is because most of my cooks are 2 zone which pretty much cuts your cooking area in half 

Are there any good resources out there for dual zone meals or recipes?  I am getting a big joe and want to utilize the divide and conquer as best as i can

17 minutes ago, Kaladinsmoke said:

Are there any good resources out there for dual zone meals or recipes?  I am getting a big joe and want to utilize the divide and conquer as best as i can

2 zone cooking is being able to cook with indirect and direct heat with the same setup, John has several cooking video's using the D&C on the Kamado Joe youtube cooking channel

On 9/17/2017 at 2:18 AM, John Setzler said:

I have all three grills.  Most people will tell you that bigger is better and that its better to have more than you need rather than find yourself wishing younhad a bigger grill.  Having extensive experience on all three grills, if i could only have one, it would be the classic rather than the big joe.  I dont cook huge amounts of food often enough to justify the big joe.  I would definitely NOT want to fire up the big joe for most of the smaller cooks i do.  It takes longer to heat it up and stabilize it and it also uses more charcoal in the process.  If i was making this decision, i would base it onnhow often i thought i would need that much space.  If i needed it over 50% of the time the. I would buy it. If i needed it less than that, i would employ workarounds to get the job done on a classic.

Outstanding summary ...from a Classic owner!!!

I have the Classic II and find this to the perfect size for 2. I would like to get the Jr. for some flexibility on small items, but the BJ would be too large for me. 

I have all three size Joes as we as a mini egg.  Love them all...they all have their place.  I don't use any of them nearly as much as I'd like to.  I started with the Classic and many times I found I need /wanted more space.  I have a family of five plus guests, add to that doing extra for left overs for my lunches and end justifies the means.   Everyone's needs are different.  Get what you want/can afford and run with it.  Realize you will probably get another some day anyways.  If you get a Big Joe there will be times you do a small cook and feel like you wasted money and should have gotten the Classic.  If you get the Classic and do a large cook you'll be frustrated and say you should have gotten the Big Joe.  The only reason I bought the Classic first was the true words uttered by my wise wife. "Just get the Classic now that you can afford, rather then wait for the Big Joe which you know you will get later as well."