Panchango

Becoming Frustrated With Joe Jr....

I love my Joe Jr and use it multiple times a week, but I am a month in to my 3rd firebox since I got the grill and it is cracked from the top to the bottom.  I noticed this morning when I was cleaning it out after a raised direct chicken cook at 400F.  KJ customer service has taken good care of me to date, but I am getting frustrated about always having a cracked firebox.  I am sure it will hold up for a while, but in my opinion the little grills are too pricey to be dealing with this constant quality issue.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

The one in my JR. cracked into 2 pieces within the first month of normal use.  KJ sent me a new one, but it's still in the box.  I wired the 2 pieces of the broken one together, top and bottom, with SS wire that I twisted tight.  It's held up well enough.  I've come to accept that cracked fireboxes, even in my Primo, are a reality I've just got to live with.  The only firebox that has not cracked is the one in my Vision, and that's the oldest and most often used of them all. 

Thanks for the replies.  For the most part I realize that I have to deal with it, but I was just getting frustrated.  As long as it stays together I can deal, but when I have to piece the firebox together for cleaning, it gets to be a drag.  I have some Rutland's furnace cement and may give it a go when I have some down time.  I also like the idea of wiring it together.  The fire ring in my dad's imperial kamado was wired together and lasted for a decades in that shape.

When a ceramic part cracks, it indicates there was stress introduced when it was fired (ceramic typically shrinks when fired).  The key to a good patch on a crack is simply prepping the cracked faces, and then using whatever your patching agent is while the ceramic part is in a "relaxed state".  If you wire it tight as you are patching it, then the stress will remain and you will end up fixing the crack again.  

On 9/17/2017 at 3:43 PM, John Setzler said:

Mine is cracked and I have been cooking on it post crack for two years... it hasn't gotten any worse yet.

Same here. As well as my big joe. 

One thing someone said a while back was that when shutting down, close the bottom vent but leave the top open until it drops below 400 F or so. I've always done this and in a year of multiple-times-per-week of grilling, smoking, long road trips, etc., I've not yet had a crack. Maybe that's just confirmation bias or superstition but I'll keep doing it :)

after 1 year of use firebox cracked into 3 places. able to use it for sometime till it could not hold together. needs to replaced.

greetings John Setzler we enjoy your videos : )