• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
toddwchandler

0-2 On Babyback Ribs, Help Please

Todd FYI when I did my testing I had a smoking stone in place and I lowered my probe through the top vent so that it was approx. at the same height as my dome therm.  I tried various temps up to 500.  I took photos and sent them to CharGriller.  They replaced my thermometer.  I also did the boiling water test.  It was lower there as well.  I did a post here on this but I was unable to upload the photos.  I've since deleted them.  

9 hours ago, toddwchandler said:

I’m still new to all of this, so go easy on me when I ask this question.  What exactly is the boiling water test and what steps do I take to go about doing it?

Water boils at approximately 212* (exact temperature depends on altitude but 212* is close enough). Get a pan of rapidly boiling water and test the temperature of that water with your thermometer. It should read 212*. That tells you how accurate the thermometer is. Some thermometers can be adjusted to calibrate them at 212* if they are off. 

Note: don't let the thermometer touch the pan when doing this or it won't be an accurate test. 

I did a lot of experimenting on my akorn with bb ribs.  Best I've ever done is forgoing the foil and spraying.  I removed the membrane, rubbed the ribs down with cheap yellow mustard, then rubbed then down with sugarless rub... Paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, chilli pepper, etc.  Then set over night in the fridge.  On the smoker at 250 with the diffuser set up with some apple juice in a foil pan above it.  About 5 hours until internal ribs reach 195... At temp I mopped with a wet store bought sauce and let it go 10m.  Rest 20m... Meat candy.  I did the foil at whatever 2-1-whatever side by side and they were garbage... You won't taste the mustard, it just acts like glue for the rub.

On a different thread, I posted results of using two remote probes in different places on the grill, center vs. edge. Not surprisingly, grill placement matters. 

Frank