Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
benniesdad

Kamado Joe Jr Charcoal Consumption

Recommended Posts

If anyone is concerned with whether the KJ Jr can handle a longer LNS this might help put your concerns to rest. Did a high heat cook of a 5.25lb pork butt yesterday. Cook took 11 hrs. Removed it at an internal temp of 202. Ran the Jr with a PartyQ ATC attached at 275 but cranked it up to 285 for the last 90 minutes. I was using B&B charcoal. This is what was left. Would have been plenty for a couple more hours. 

 

 

image2 (2).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gone 16 hours plus a couple of hours at 375* the next day on a load of lump in an Akorn Jr. 

 

Jr format kamados  last as long as their full sized counterparts but we've known this for years now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The juniors of various brands are not to be dismissed. They are fully fledged Kamado grills.  Like CKreef, I have done very long cooks in the Junior as well.  It is also my go to sear and sauté station when I cook.  The number one caution when doing large hunks of meat for a low and slow cook is... Be aware of the probe on the dome thermometer.  I have seen several people close the lid and have problems with this.  They think the temperature in their Junior has fallen, open the vents and burn their food (due to direct contact between the probe and the meat, they thought their grill temperature had dropped).  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Addertooth said:

The juniors of various brands are not to be dismissed. They are fully fledged Kamado grills.  Like CKreef, I have done very long cooks in the Junior as well.  It is also my go to sear and sauté station when I cook.  The number one caution when doing large hunks of meat for a low and slow cook is... Be aware of the probe on the dome thermometer.  I have seen several people close the lid and have problems with this.  They think the temperature in their Junior has fallen, open the vents and burn their food (due to direct contact between the probe and the meat, they thought their grill temperature had dropped).  

 

 

I've made that mistake once. If you make that mistake hopefully you learned from that experience and don't make that mistake again. Even if the thermometer isn't actually touching it can give a false reading if it's really close to the cold meat. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2017 at 11:11 AM, Addertooth said:

Be aware of the probe on the dome thermometer.  I have seen several people close the lid and have problems with this.  They think the temperature in their Junior has fallen, open the vents and burn their food (due to direct contact between the probe and the meat, they thought their grill temperature had dropped).  

 

I wonder if the cork trick would work on a Joe Junior? This is something @keeperovdeflame mentioned a while back (my italics) where you poke the gauge probe through a cork or part of a cork and then inside the dome; the cork acts as a spacer:

 

Quote

....You can also get a higher reading from the probe if it contacts the grate or comes too close to the grate by being pushed too deeply into your meat. One time early on in my kamado experience, I was cooking a vertical turkey, and just could not get the dome temp gauge to move. Come to find out, my probe was making contact with the 30 degree turkey. (a trick should this happen to you, is to drill a hole in a wine cork and put the probe through the hole with cork taking up space on the outside of the dome, works pretty well).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LargeRedJoe said:

I wonder if the cork trick would work on a Joe Junior? This is something @keeperovdeflame mentioned a while back (my italics) where you poke the gauge probe through a cork or part of a cork and then inside the dome; the cork acts as a spacer:

 

 

 

I use the cork trick to hold a Thermoworks Smoke probe in the dome hole on both my KK's. Super easy adjustment for the probe tip going into the dome. 

 

Get yourself a cheapie bottle of wine that has the rubber style cork. Cut a 1/2" slice and drill a hole in the center just a little skinnier than the probe. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2017 at 5:52 AM, ckreef said:

 

I use the cork trick to hold a Thermoworks Smoke probe in the dome hole on both my KK's. Super easy adjustment for the probe tip going into the dome. 

 

Get yourself a cheapie bottle of wine that has the rubber style cork. Cut a 1/2" slice and drill a hole in the center just a little skinnier than the probe. 

 

 

yeah, the cork trick will work with any size kamado or any other type of grill with a dome type themometer with a saft that goes through a hole in the dome or lid for the probe to enter the cooking area. When drilled and placed over the shaft the  cork will essentially become a fat washer creating space  between the back face of the gage and the surface of your kamado or other grill. The longer the cork you use, the farther you will pull the point of the probe out of the way. I use actual wine corks, not necessarily rubber or vinyl. Cork works just fine. When you use this trick, your probably cooking a turkey or large roast and are using a moderate heat cooking temps around 350. Only problem I have with this rendition of the cork trick is the "cheapie bottle of wine" Why, my friends, would we want to take all the fun out of this. As someone, I know not who, reportedly  said life is way  too short to drink bad wine.:)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...