Sign in to follow this  
7MKsuper

I Painted my Vision Grill

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to share the story of my Vision Grill.  Like so many outdoor cooks, I could never justify to myself the expense of a BGE or any kamado for that matter.  I found myself an accidental kamado owner when I purchased a Char Griller AKORN on clearance ($115) at a nearby Walmart, less than a year ago.  I figured I could not go wrong at that price. It gave me an opportunity to learn what I had already suspected would be the case, that I thoroughly enjoy the kamado experience.  After the very short learning curve, I was producing outstanding food of all kinds, from 225deg low and slow, to 700deg Steaks, and the best pizzas I have ever made.

After a couple of months I started to look for a Ceramic Grill to enhance my experience.  This lead to me acquiring my first Ceramic kamado, a Vision Classic B model.  I got it used, so I do not know the exact vintage, but it was purchased from Costco a few years ago. I have continued to produce outstanding meals with the Vision, but I did have an issue with it.  Nothing major, it just looked a little tired, and dull, but what is one to do, on a bargain acquisition?  (The AKORN, has found a home with my father, and he is now enjoying the kamado style of charcoal cooking)

About a month ago I was replacing the gaskets and cleaning the rims prior to the placement of the new felt, and I noticed that the finish on the outside of the dome, was causing my wiping cloth to blacken.  This lead to a couple of experiments.  While I realize that most of the kamados have a “Glaze” for the finish, this was clearly not the case for this one, as I could soften and remove the finish with lacquer thinner.  So I decided to freshen up my grill with a paint job.  I had some paint that I thought would stand up to the temperatures on the outside of the cooker, so I prepped and painted half of the dome to give it a go.  I did a couple of 700+ degree pizza cooks, and no issues noted.  This past weekend, I did the entire grill, and it really came out looking much better than it was.  I will freshen up the woodwork and bright work, and it will be good for years to come.  (I may build a table for it, but time will tell) 

I have attached a few photos, 

Here is a before picture.  Nothing major, just dull.

20170917_143014_resized.thumb.jpg.749c4940cf5174b7a9f648cdf984568a.jpg

Here is one in the experiment phase

20170917_143045_resized_1.thumb.jpg.0eb3782a7cfc6b64340ec65d8e2b509e.jpg

Here is the outcome.  (Woodwork and bright work to come.)

20170924_152603_resized.thumb.jpg.5e5925065874b36c72b51a1e544c7be6.jpg

this is a close up of the finish that was there.  (Paint??)  You can see how dull it was

20170923_103710_resized.thumb.jpg.739a188079310bdf6d82491c1f9c2edb.jpg

Thanks,

MK

On 9/25/2017 at 12:21 PM, 7MKsuper said:

Glocker,

That was my guess as well.  unless it is the glaze, and was never fired a second time.  Was there a time that they were just Painted?

MK

I know nothing of ceramics or glaze - actually I did have take ceramics in HS.. but my guess though is that the UV of the sun oxidizes the glaze.  It happens to headlights, car finishes+ canopies, etc... 

The paint is still perfect, I enjoy looking at it each time I use it, though I have not yet refinished the wood and bright-work like I had intended.  I use the grill at least 4 times a week, including 700 degree pizza cooks and steak sears.  The fact is that even after a cleaning burn, which initially was of some concern, there were no ill effects to the paint.  The paint was put on in 4-5 medium coats, letting it tack off between coats, so it is fairly thick.

I used tractor paint from Van Sickle.  While it is not specifically a HEAT rated paint, I figured since it stands up to the engine heat on my tractor, it should work for the Kamado, plus I had it on hand.  It has performed better than I expected really, with it passing the cleaning burn and all.  In my opinion, If one was really creative, the sky is the limit for producing a truly unique looking grill.

Have Fun