philpom

Instant pot Mexican beans

We recently picked up a large instant pot as part of our kitchen gadget simplification and reduction effort.  It replaced the slow cooker and added many new capabilities.

I decided to adapt my Mexican bean recipe and take advantage of the pressure cooker feature.  They are perfect in my opinion.

What you'll need:

4 cups of water

2 cups sorted washed pinto beans

1 cup finely chopped yellow onion

1 cup chopped cilantro

2 14oz cans diced tomatoes

4 TB chili powder

3 TB olive oil

2 TB cumin powder

1 TB garlic powder

1 TS black pepper

6 chicken bullion cubes (crushed)

A meaty rib bone, hamhoc, salt pork, bacon etc (pick one, I like left over ham bones)

Add everything to the pot except the water, cilantro and bone.  Mix well, add the bone and water.

Manual / high pressure 60 minutes

Natural release

Stir in the fresh cilantro and enjoy!  This recipe was tested at 500 feet above sea level.

20 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@philpom

Did you get the big oval one?  We have the standard one and I may do just what you have done and get the oval and get rid of a couple other crock pots I have that take up a lot of space... lol

We got rid of a large oval slow cooker and replaced it with the IP-DUO80 7 in 1 8 quart cooker.  It's round, didn't know they made an oval one.

I have an InstaPot 2+years. Probably in the top 3 for being high quality for cooking. Canning might be a different discussion. It can do it though.

Super Kitchen addition. I have had many, many fantastic cooks with mine.

Posted about pressure cookers awhile back but as always the conversations migrated to some anecdote from years ago, about a pressure cook mishap that happened to (fill in the blank) and how unsafe, hard to use, etc. etc.  Usually it was the stove top version.  Those type anecdotes are debilitating to a good discussion

No mention of how new technology has overcome problems to make them almost fool proof. .  Hey c'mon they are selling an entry level cooker on infomercials now.

Printed in the manual, for slow cook temp choices, are more, less,normal. but the actual temps are: 190,200,210.  .

The "slo cooker" as we know it has been dumbed down by  what many point out as litigation to always cooking at 210. Low just means the cooker takes longer to reach 210. That time is not that long either. So what one may think is a long slow cook(on low)really is not. I threw mine away.

I copied your recipe tonight and it was awesome.  Only thing I did differant was added one jalepeno  and used coriander instead of cumin because I thought I had a supply of cumin when at store and turned out I did not. 

My my wife was just in the hospital because she had an infection and it was so bad that the strong antibodies Drs prescribed shut her kidneys down.  They are working normal now but since her release from hospital we have been on a very low sodium intake diet ever since

i did not see any salt in this recipe except  for the salt in the chile powder so I thought this would be a good side dish but I made the mistake of using a ham hock for the bone which really infused the beans.  It was really good but she was not able to eat as much of it as she wanted to.  Next time I will use beef bones since I don't thing they are brined or cured

it was real tasty. Thank you Philpom for the instant pot recipe

On 9/26/2017 at 7:48 PM, mike echo said:

I have an InstaPot 2+years. Probably in the top 3 for being high quality for cooking. Canning might be a different discussion. It can do it though.

Super Kitchen addition. I have had many, many fantastic cooks with mine.

Posted about pressure cookers awhile back but as always the conversations migrated to some anecdote from years ago, about a pressure cook mishap that happened to (fill in the blank) and how unsafe, hard to use, etc. etc.  Usually it was the stove top version.  Those type anecdotes are debilitating to a good discussion

No mention of how new technology has overcome problems to make them almost fool proof. .  Hey c'mon they are selling an entry level cooker on infomercials now.

Printed in the manual, for slow cook temp choices, are more, less,normal. but the actual temps are: 190,200,210.  .

The "slo cooker" as we know it has been dumbed down by  what many point out as litigation to always cooking at 210. Low just means the cooker takes longer to reach 210. That time is not that long either. So what one may think is a long slow cook(on low)really is not. I threw mine away.

Can't say we threw our slow cooker away, we gifted it to our oldest son who has taken to cooking alot.  We did get rid of it though, no need anylonger.

We have been really enjoying our IP.  It makes it simple to make our own yogurt and I'm looking at working it in to my cheese making, 190 is perfect for queso blanco.  Also planning cottage cheese.

11 hours ago, Paul said:

I copied your recipe tonight and it was awesome.  Only thing I did differant was added one jalepeno  and used coriander instead of cumin because I thought I had a supply of cumin when at store and turned out I did not. 

My my wife was just in the hospital because she had an infection and it was so bad that the strong antibodies Drs prescribed shut her kidneys down.  They are working normal now but since her release from hospital we have been on a very low sodium intake diet ever since

i did not see any salt in this recipe except  for the salt in the chile powder so I thought this would be a good side dish but I made the mistake of using a ham hock for the bone which really infused the beans.  It was really good but she was not able to eat as much of it as she wanted to.  Next time I will use beef bones since I don't thing they are brined or cured

it was real tasty. Thank you Philpom for the instant pot recipe

Glad you liked it!

Most bullion cubes contain a bunch of salt so check yours.  My chili powder has a miniscule amount of salt.

8 hours ago, philpom said:

Glad you liked it!

Most bullion cubes contain a bunch of salt so check yours.  My chili powder has a miniscule amount of salt.

Yeah I thought of that after I posted

im still a newbie when it comes to reading ingridients while shopping I just grab off the list. Will have to work on I bedding that into my brain