2017 big Joe ii owners please help me decide

Kaladinsmoke

I have decided up join the club and get a big Joe. I like the features of the big Joe ii (2017 model) but a local dealer can get me the older model for $630 cheaper than the 2017. I can't imagine the new features being worth that much but I'm open to being convinced otherwise

Ok, since you didn't quote actual prices I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the Joe II is running bout 1900 so the 2016 would be bout 1270 bucks.  Now if I recall the 2016 BJs went for about 1500 bucks. So, the way I look at it si you are saving about 230 bucks, not 630 bucks.   That said I have the old school Big Joe and love it. 1270 is a good price. You, sir, are in a no lose situation. Get a good deal on a great product, or pay a premium for a superior product.  Maybe see if he is willing to drop the price on the 2016 model a bit more to help you decide. 

Now I own the 2016, but am quite familiar with the 2017 as well.   ( we sell them where I work). The new hinge is purely awesomeness. The top vent, firebox and gasket are great too. But imho the big diff is in the hinge.  Is it 630 bucks difference? tough to say. It is awesome. I believe anyone using it will appreciate it. I don't know how many "need" it. But I guess the more often you use it the more value it adds. If you plan to wheel the kamado out of the garage on summertime holidays only, save some dough. If you are using it 5 times a week...well...then maybe invest in some creature comforts.

Thanks for the advice. Amazon has the big Joe ii for 1833 and my dealer is giving it for 1200. I don't see how I can pass it up. I talked to a guy today who was under the impression that the sweet new hinge would be able to retrofit the older models so my fingers are crossed

20 hours ago, Kaladinsmoke said:

Thanks for the advice. Amazon has the big Joe ii for 1833 and my dealer is giving it for 1200. I don't see how I can pass it up. I talked to a guy today who was under the impression that the sweet new hinge would be able to retrofit the older models so my fingers are crossed

New hinge or not. The grill is awesome.