Jump to content
pesto3

Kamado Joe Jr Rotisserie

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Bachman 5 said:

@pesto3  really like this unit you did a great job coming up and building this . I like it so much thinking about making one for myself so any dimensions you could share like back and front heights as well as the inside , outside dimensions of the rings that would be great. Think this info would save me some grief.

Yeah no problems at all mate. When I get home I will measure it up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 8:16 AM, Bachman 5 said:

@pesto3  really like this unit you did a great job coming up and building this . I like it so much thinking about making one for myself so any dimensions you could share like back and front heights as well as the inside , outside dimensions of the rings that would be great. Think this info would save me some grief.

Hey mate, the lift in the front is 190mm and I had to make a small lift at the back of 10mm. 

 

The top and bottom rings were cut too 360mmx410mm in 2mm steel. 

 

Best tip is, set it up on your Kamado first. Get the height you want (front and back) and make sure your top rings sit flush all the way around (gaps here will mean air leaks) take it of and tack it in place with your welder. 

 

Next is a process of going back and forth. You will only need a couple of spacers, you want to make sure that the top ring stays flat against the top of your kamado. Once you've shimmed it and are happy, take it off and tack it. Go back and double check it then weld your spacers in place. Check again. Then wrap and weld the thin steel sheeting around (from here on you just need to weld and grind) watch out for buckling!

 

hope this made some kind of sense and helps! Looking forward to seeing what you put up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pesto3 That looks great mate, thanks for posting the dimensions I might make one up myself if I find some spare time.

I'd really like to cook some chicken and Picanha on a Rotisserie.

 

I'm in QLD and have a couple of Joe jr I bought in 2015 just before they were discontinued for sale here.

They've been great (apart from a recent cracked fire ring) and I've made a few mods myself as well.  I've also found a few accessories that fit like a dutch oven, pizza stones, rib racks, drip trays and griddle.  Keep thinking I should fab an ash basket, I got a price from Kick Ash Baskets back in 2015 and is was over a $100.

 

Here are my Joe Jr's in my table when it was first done.  I had plans to remove the temporary timber pallet and fab a metal shelf and drop down steel mesh door to keep little hands away, but life got in the way.

 

20151115_182310 (Small).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redman19 said:

@pesto3 That looks great mate, thanks for posting the dimensions I might make one up myself if I find some spare time.

I'd really like to cook some chicken and Picanha on a Rotisserie.

 

I'm in QLD and have a couple of Joe jr I bought in 2015 just before they were discontinued for sale here.

They've been great (apart from a recent cracked fire ring) and I've made a few mods myself as well.  I've also found a few accessories that fit like a dutch oven, pizza stones, rib racks, drip trays and griddle.  Keep thinking I should fab an ash basket, I got a price from Kick Ash Baskets back in 2015 and is was over a $100.

 

Here are my Joe Jr's in my table when it was first done.  I had plans to remove the temporary timber pallet and fab a metal shelf and drop down steel mesh door to keep little hands away, but life got in the way.

 

20151115_182310 (Small).jpg

A fellow Queenslander!! Love the table

mate!!!! The Jr’s are awesome aren’t they! I made a different rack for mine. I didn’t like how the grill basically sat directly on top of the deflector plate when in the roasting possition. I looked at the KAB around the same time for the Classic and it was $160....stuff that! I made a couple for my classics. Not pretty, but do the job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pesto3 said:

A fellow Queenslander!! Love the table

mate!!!! The Jr’s are awesome aren’t they! I made a different rack for mine. I didn’t like how the grill basically sat directly on top of the deflector plate when in the roasting possition. I looked at the KAB around the same time for the Classic and it was $160....stuff that! I made a couple for my classics. Not pretty, but do the job! 

 

Queenslander!! Queenslander!!! Where in QLD are you?  I'm near Milton, Brisbane.  I had plans to build a table but was time poor so bought some outdoor tables, did a few mods and a stonemason mate cut the tops out and did some granite bases for them to sit on.

 

I love the Jr's!  They heat up so quick that you can use them often with alot less charcoal (which good quality can be hard to source sometimes at a good price).  I'm going to do a rump cap tonight (Picanha), wish I had a rotisserie!!

That custom rack sounds good, did you post about it?  I'll have a look if you did.

I know what you mean about the deflector position, I'll often use the lower plate position with a drip tray for roasting but it can tend to expose the meat to too much flame.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redman19 said:

 

Queenslander!! Queenslander!!! Where in QLD are you?  I'm near Milton, Brisbane.  I had plans to build a table but was time poor so bought some outdoor tables, did a few mods and a stonemason mate cut the tops out and did some granite bases for them to sit on.

 

I love the Jr's!  They heat up so quick that you can use them often with alot less charcoal (which good quality can be hard to source sometimes at a good price).  I'm going to do a rump cap tonight (Picanha), wish I had a rotisserie!!

That custom rack sounds good, did you post about it?  I'll have a look if you did.

I know what you mean about the deflector position, I'll often use the lower plate position with a drip tray for roasting but it can tend to expose the meat to too much flame.

 

####, we are almost Neighbours. I’m in Augustine Heights. Maybe 30 min. Yeah I’m pretty sure I posted the rack in the DIY section here mate. There are a few good places not far from you for Aussie Gidge lump. Good stuff! Google “the charcoal man” you can buy it direct from him (but only certain day and times) or there is “Aussie bbq and fireplaces” at Murarrie they sell his stuff (cheaper directly from him though) 

 

i pay $45 for 19kg (chunky)  from a retail outlet at browns plains. 

 

ive been meaning to build a table

for ages. One of those things I just haven’t pulled the trigger on yet. Also, I float in and out of actually wanting one. 

 

are you on Facebook? I’ve got a little bbq page called “Glen’s Aussie BBQ” we have quite a few locals on their. It’s good, we tell each other what’s on speacial and where etc etc. we share cooks and techniques.  check it out if you’ve got the time. 

 

Glen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, pesto3 said:

####, we are almost Neighbours. I’m in Augustine Heights. Maybe 30 min. Yeah I’m pretty sure I posted the rack in the DIY section here mate. There are a few good places not far from you for Aussie Gidge lump. Good stuff! Google “the charcoal man” you can buy it direct from him (but only certain day and times) or there is “Aussie bbq and fireplaces” at Murarrie they sell his stuff (cheaper directly from him though)  

 

i pay $45 for 19kg (chunky)  from a retail outlet at browns plains. 

 

ive been meaning to build a table

for ages. One of those things I just haven’t pulled the trigger on yet. Also, I float in and out of actually wanting one. 

 

are you on Facebook? I’ve got a little bbq page called “Glen’s Aussie BBQ” we have quite a few locals on their. It’s good, we tell each other what’s on speacial and where etc etc. we share cooks and techniques.  check it out if you’ve got the time. 

 

Glen. 

 

Hey Glen,

My work premises is in Richlands, not far from Augustine Heights.  I found the DIY rack post, cheers I'll fab one up one day.

I buy lump off "The Charcoal Man" too, but I find 50% of the time he's out of stock.  Have you bought lump from Ironwood smokers www.ironwoodsmokers.com.au at Mt Crosby?  He normally has stock and a large range of smoking wood chunks and chips too.

I missed the Facebook boat when it launched and have never bothered since, I hear the marketplace is good so maybe I'll join finally.

 

I'm curious, you didn't happen to buy your Jr. from Bbqs Galore Jindalee?

I remember when I bought my ones in late 2015, they were the last red ones in the country and they had to transfer one in from down south.  They also had one lonely black jr too, It was the last left on the east coast and they offered it to me at a cheap price if I wanted but I declined.  Fate is telling me that might be the one you have?

 

I read a few of your other posts and I see you have 4 or 5 Kamados now.  What do you recommend I buy for doing full brisket and racks, a Classic or a Big Joe?  I'm a bit wary of the limited accessories of the big joe, but would love the extra real estate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Redman19 said:

 

Hey Glen,

My work premises is in Richlands, not far from Augustine Heights.  I found the DIY rack post, cheers I'll fab one up one day.

I buy lump off "The Charcoal Man" too, but I find 50% of the time he's out of stock.  Have you bought lump from Ironwood smokers www.ironwoodsmokers.com.au at Mt Crosby?  He normally has stock and a large range of smoking wood chunks and chips too.

I missed the Facebook boat when it launched and have never bothered since, I hear the marketplace is good so maybe I'll join finally.

 

I'm curious, you didn't happen to buy your Jr. from Bbqs Galore Jindalee?

I remember when I bought my ones in late 2015, they were the last red ones in the country and they had to transfer one in from down south.  They also had one lonely black jr too, It was the last left on the east coast and they offered it to me at a cheap price if I wanted but I declined.  Fate is telling me that might be the one you have?

 

I read a few of your other posts and I see you have 4 or 5 Kamados now.  What do you recommend I buy for doing full brisket and racks, a Classic or a Big Joe?  I'm a bit wary of the limited accessories of the big joe, but would love the extra real estate.

No I haven’t been to him but I’ve heard he’s got some good stuff!

 

I got my Jr from Kawana Waters. I couldn’t find one anywhere. They had 1 on the floor so I snavwled it up. You can still get them here, just have to order and wait quite a while. Depending on which store you speak to that is. 

 

If its realestate you want then the Big Joe is the go! For sure. I love my classic, but sometimes it’s just easier with all that space. You’ve got 2 Jrs, so if I were you, I would go the Big Joe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×