JoeC

Any Good Backstrap Recipes?

@KismetKamado  It is probably an over simplification but I always thought of the back strap as essentially a deer NY Strp.  It is the meat on the outside of the spine.  If you look at a porterhouse steak, the tenderloin portion is from inside the spine, while the NY Strip on the other side of the bone is from the outside the spine.

Next to pan fried heart, best cut on venison. 

Most venison I will fry in bacon grease - often with a light breading. Backstrap doesn't need it though. You can grill it and it will be great - but don't cut it into medallions. Much too easy to over cook it. Little oil and salt/pepper over direct heat is what I've done, but may have to experiment now having the Akorn. Direct heat, it'll go for maybe 15-20 minutes, 7-10 each side. Let it rest for 10.

Check out Cumberland sauce for something added and different. Pairs really well - have had it but never made it myself. If I can get out to get a deer or two this season, may have to try. 

12 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Never cooked backstrap...  not even sure what it is. Seems like maybe I have heard about this in regards to game animal processing more so than purchased cuts?

Yeah, term in wild game. Think loin.

I marinate mine in a simpler solution than in the video but whip up whatever you like. Then before cooking I roll it in cracked black peppercorns. Next it's seated on all sides in an oven safe skillet. Then the skillet and look are placed in a 350* oven until the internal temperature reaches what one likes. I go to medium rare.