AussiePhil

Intro from 'Down Under'

Hi All,

Just thought i'd introduce myself as a new member.  I'll be buying my first Kamado tonight and putting it together this weekend.  I'm not a big spender and I'll be getting the Char-Griller Akron Kamado.

Never cooked on charcoal before and to be honest, I'm surprised to took me this long to make the switch as i do love to cook.  I never really used my old BBQ that much as apart from extra cooking space, and cooking outdoors, i never really saw any benefit for using that over my stove/oven indoors a few metres away.

Now that I've discovered the concept of cooking on coals, i see the potential for actually offering an alternative taste and and cooking options especially using a Kamado.

Anyway, we don't have a dedicated Kamado forum here in Australia so i wanted to join up to this and have already used the site countless times in my research to buying the Akorn.

So thanks for the info so far, and look forward to this new BBQ'ing journey :)

Cheers,

Phil

Welcome to a fellow Melbournian!

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you? I am out south east, and have a great local source for good quality charcoal.

Thanks guys, and yes, there does seem to be a few Aussies on here, we so like to BBQ :)

Managed to get it set up fairly easily o. Saturday, good quality build and pretty straight forward.

Fired it up easily to season the grill.  I was worried about not having a chimney, but it was really easy to get going. A small pile/volcano with 1 natural firefighter in the middle and that's all that was needed.

Happy with how it all is going so far, so now just need to plan the next few cooks.

Welcome AussiePhil, this is a great place to learn and share your cooks! Lots of great people on here. Also, jump on Facebook and look up "Kamado owners of Australia and New Zealand" it's a small group of around 1200 people who are also passionate about Kamado cooking.lots of Melbournites that may be able to point you in the right direction meat wise etc. 

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  Will be putting the Kamado to a the test this weekend (only got a chance to season it last weekend)

I'll be doing Pizza on Saturday night and a slow cooked brisket on Sunday.  That's the plan anyway.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Daz
      Have been busy with my other toy projects so the pellet Akorn has been cold for a while. Today kids want to eat pizza so I fired up the pellets akorn. It heats up to 500+ degrees in less than 10 min and the pizza was perfect. I fitted a WiFi PID controller and was going to tweak the algorithm but...too many projects! 
      Right now the temperature overshoots 50-80 degrees if set below 300 degrees, but gets better as it goes higher. 
      Anyway here is the pizza and the good looking grill haha.

• By Chap Swinson
      Bbqube temperature controller.  Like new.  Used once or twice.  $80 plus cost of shipping.  PM if interested.  South Carolina.  

• By Tarnation
      Dumped in the last of my Cowboy lump for a Saturday night pork butt. If you've seen any of the negative comments on Cowboy I didn't have any problems with the bag I had.  It was definitely a lot smokier start than my old KJ Big Block, but produced good food. See you smoke Cowboy! Up next is a bag of RO XL cut should be fun.  For now I've got a pork butt to cook.

• By JeffieBoy
      My daughter grabbed up some fresh, wild Sockeye filets at Costco a few weeks ago.  She dropped them into our freezer since she didn't have room in hers.  Yesterday, she asked us to pull two out to defrost for a dinner.  They were just around a pound each. They sat in the sink for three hours at which point she called and advised that she cancelled dinner due to a sudden stomach ailment.  We put them into the fridge then decided today that we should cook them up to prevent spoilage.  This afternoon, I made a brown sugar and kosher salt brine and soaked the fillets for just under two hours.

i fired up the Akorn to about 169 degrees, added some apple chunks and alder chips to supplement and then tossed the fish on.  They have been in the Akorn for about an hour now and I think I am going to go for about three more hours before pulling them off.  The Akorn has been holding steady now at 168-170 degrees F and that has surprised me.  I seriously thought that I couldn't get it to hold that low.  First time doing fish on the Akorn At a temperature this low, so any suggestions are appreciated!

More photos to follow as we finish up.

• By Tarnation
      Smoke rolls early in the morning for this rack of ribs and a prime brisket.  Binder is mustard, rub for the ribs is a Traeger rub I poached from dad, rub for the brisket is Thundering Longhorn beef rub. I'll keep you updated.