AussiePhil

Pulled pork - can it be done quickly?

Hi All,

i'm new here and also to Kamado cooking (picking my new Akorn up tonight).  I have my daughters 1st birthday coming up and i want to do a pulled pork for the lunch.  I'll have a few opportunties between now and then to practice some cooks, but I'm not sure on the best way to go about the pork on the day.

The issue is that the lunch will be at about 1pm.  The way i see it (after doing some research on this site), i have a few options.  I was wanting your opinions on what might be the best (in terms of ease and taste considering i'm fairly new)

• Do an overnight low and slow pulled pork
  • Cook the pork the day before, reheating it on the day just before lunch
  • trying to do a pulled pork in about 4 to 5 hours (i.e. start first thing that morning)

My main concern with the 1st option is that I will literally of only had a few cooks in the Akorn before the party, so am a bit nervous about doing an overnight cook.

What are peoples thoughts and experiences?

Cheers,

Phil

Pulled pork freezes really well, so cook some up low and slow to get the practice and then freeze it and it will be like money in the bank.  That will open up some options for your "day of" cook.

An overnight cook might be the best bet if you can get temps stable enough for a few winks in between checking temps.

Best of luck to you and congrats on your daughter being 1 year old.

It's hard to go wrong with pulled pork but I would let it rest for an hour at least and then pull it before freezing.  It will pull easily if it is hot from the cook.  Remember, you can do this once or twice before the day of the event so that you have a backup in case something doesn't go right for the live cook.  On the day of the live cook, try to finish 2 or 3 hours before time to eat and then you can just pull and eat at the same time.

Happy cooking :)

I would probably do it the day before, but you could have the butcher cut the pork shoulder in smaller pieces. 

You could probably get a 3-4 lb piece of pork shoulder done in 5 hours near 300F if you needed to get it done quickly, but it would be a lot less stressful to do it ahead of time.

26 minutes ago, Panchango said:

I would probably do it the day before, but you could have the butcher cut the pork shoulder in smaller pieces. 

You could probably get a 3-4 lb piece of pork shoulder done in 5 hours near 300F if you needed to get it done quickly, but it would be a lot less stressful to do it ahead of time.

+1   I would cook ahead, pull, freeze if I were in your shoes.  Just less stress.

Why freeze, just cook the day before, put the whole thing in the fridge and warm/pull the next day.

You won't be able to tell the difference between right off the cooker and right out of the fridge.

Get yourself a collar butt boneless pork neck  . Mix up some apple sauce with bourbon /whiskey and inject it  leave over night they are usually only 2 kg . 6 hours at 250  pulls apart nicely  look in the rubs and sauces section for a great pdf on injecting . http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/8382-injected-collar-but-with-ckreefs-mop/

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By St1brew
      Butt on for about 15.5 hours overnight smoked over pecan. Put loin on this morning for 3.5 hours. Had to put more charcoal on about 12 hours. Loin was a bit dry, butt was awesome and moist with an awesome crust. Overall, pretty happy with the first smoke on the vision. Also learned a lot about "marathon" smoking and fine tuning temp adjustments. Temp got to 300 once or twice, takes a while to get back to 250....

• By Red River Smoke
      Made a Costco pack of pork shoulder (15lbs) on Saturday, this was actually my first really long cook with my Akorn, turned out great!  Used Meathead's rub recipe, and dumped on some Pig's ### sauce (nice surprise how good that was!) after it was pulled.  Otherwise just let it go almost 12 hours with some hickory thrown in with the lump pulled them off around 197 degrees.  The shoulder I thought was larger got done about 45 minutes quicker, really loving having multiple probes with the Fireboard. I think the wind was swirling a bit as I had a little harder time than usual maintaining pit temps, I was aiming for about 240 at the grill, but I did let it climb a bit at the end trying to push through the stall.  Also the first time I really noticed a stall, so I'm thinking that my other ways I've done pulled pork before I had a kamado were running hotter than I thought and I didn't have a good way to monitor it.  Had some happy family and friends with the end result and I had fun cooking anyway, also made some cheesy hashbrowns to go with.

• By Smokehowze
      A Definition of Southern Love:

Tender moist hickory smokey pulled pork with my Smokehowze Carolina style spicy red sauce mixed in, piled up on plain bread, and a couple of our homemade fermented garlic dill pickles for fun.

• By MD_Ag
      I'm having a large party on Sunday, for which I'm doing a 14# brisket and 10# pork butt. Can't cook both at once, so I'm doing the pork tonight and the beef Saturday overnight. Once done, I'll put the pork into a crockpot for reheating. Would it be best to shred the pork as soon as it's rested a bit, or keep it whole until reheated Sunday morning?
    • By Dub
      Rib hickory, chicken tangy and pulled pork sauces made and stashed in fridge......

Butt rub made.......

Grill made ready..........

Lump, cherry and a couple chunks of apple....

Thought about it for a 1/2 second and then poured on a pile of mixed hardwood pellets.......should help the flavors....

Will fire this up with morning coffee and have it loaded prior to daylight.
      Hope the neighbors don't mind the music that'll come with the smoke....

Ribs & butts prepped.......

Hyooge amounts of rubs on them for the overnight rest in the fridge.......

Looking forward to the early hours tomorrow......coffee maker has been made ready......