15 hours ago, fbov said:

How often do you use a honing rod on them? Sharpness on these Chicago Cutlery knives lasts many months with regular mending on a honing steel. 

Frank

Ah, but I bet you don't have your grown children using them however they please. I caught my son cutting something up on a dinner plate last week. We have several users in our kitchen, five at last count, and we're all on different schedules. My other son was using my steel utensils in the non-stick, and a scrubby to clean them. Yes, our pans are trashed. They won't use the cast iron (enameled) as it's "too much hassle", and they aren't allowed to touch my regular cast iron.

Which reminds me, I need some more dinner plates. Mysteriously, we don't have as many as we used to. I just bought some cereal bowls, we were down to three.

But they aren't doing drugs, they work hard, and nobody's pregnant, so I'm counting my blessings.

3 hours ago, Slowdown said:

Ah, but I bet you don't have your grown children using them however they please. I caught my son cutting something up on a dinner plate last week. We have several users in our kitchen, five at last count, and we're all on different schedules. My other son was using my steel utensils in the non-stick, and a scrubby to clean them. Yes, our pans are trashed. They won't use the cast iron (enameled) as it's "too much hassle", and they aren't allowed to touch my regular cast iron.

Which reminds me, I need some more dinner plates. Mysteriously, we don't have as many as we used to. I just bought some cereal bowls, we were down to three.

But they aren't doing drugs, they work hard, and nobody's pregnant, so I'm counting my blessings.

My wife is afraid of my Japanese knives and good cookware/CI.  She like the good knives we received as wedding gifts and tells me when they need to be sharpened. She has learned not to cut on any surface a harder than the blade and how to use non stick pans properly. 

My 5 yr old has a decent punch grip for a plastic knife. 

The 18 month old always wants to play with the Joe’s.  

TRAIN THEM WELL!  

1 hour ago, Slowdown said:

They've always resisted our attempts to teach them in the kitchen. Only recently has my daughter and one of my sons expressed interest, and my son only in specific questions. We're still trying.

Can you get away with giving the untrained cheap nonstick pans and cheap knives? 

The non-stick pans are trashed and they will not be replaced until they move out. The knives are thankfully not used often so I am able to deal with the damage inflicted. The knives sharpen up pretty quick in the Chef's choice if I do it every month or two.

My 2 cents worth...  If you wish to economically look at some, in my opinion, quality Japanese knives that don't break the bank...

If nothing else get this ceramic hone and for knives that you do not choose to store in other ways get the knife guards.  All my knives live in knife guard in drawers. I found it convenient to label the knife guards on both sides with a label maker. 

On 10/18/2017 at 7:52 AM, Slowdown said:

Ah, but I bet you don't have your grown children using them however they please. ...

Ironically, I do, but he was a Boy Scout. My daughter got her grandparents' set, and a Chef's Choice. 

+1 on what's not a worry. 

Frank

13 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

YIKES! lol. Then, Global it is:

main_variation_3493376_view_3493376_715x

or perhaps, this Tojiro DP Sujihiki 270mm

fujitora_dp-suji_270_1024x1024.jpg?v=149

decisions, decisions

I have the Tojiro 210 Gyuto and love it and it wont break the bank.

A very interesting knife should you want to experiment with Japanese knives without breaking the bank is the Shun Sora line. I picked up a 6" chefs and a utility knife about 8 months ago. After using the Sora's I have come to look at them as a Japanes kife of Victorinox quality. ( Ceartinly not the highest quality knives but like the Victorinox line the Soras can flat cook. Very reasonable price points with most knives well below $100.00. 

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-sora?src=Bing&cam=Shun&sub=E+Shun+Sora&kw=shun sora knives